Sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sleepers

Postby Arlo » Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:23 pm

Who are YOUR top sleepers this year?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

sleepers

Postby no weather » Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:07 am

Here’s this country boy’s two cents worth on sleepers:

Wilson, Preston - (OF)Ready to break out for a 30-30 year. The only thing that could hold him back is a shift to the 2-hole, limiting his rbi numbers.

Sexson, Richie: (1B) the average will improve, the homers will be high, and the rbi totals will go up with Eric Young on base. I’m guessing .280, 45-50 hr, 125 rbi

Beltre, Adrian: (3B) he will have the year this year that should have come in 2001 - along the lines of Corey Koskie last year.

Melusky, M.: (C) he is cancer in the clubhouse and may be overlooked, but if he gets a chance to play should put up better numbers than his rookie year. I’m hoping for a.300 average, 15 homers

Eckstein, David: (SS) all this guy does is play. Good average, light power but heads up base running with good speed. Take him late and watch him go.

Eric Young: (2B) shunned by the Cubs as step-slow and with something to prove, should be consistant in average and runs scored, and rebound to 35 steals.

Cory Lidle: (SP) Great coaching makes good talent better. Look for him to improve last year’s numbers across the board.

Scott Williamson: (SP?) Purely a guess here. I think that the Reds will ease him back from surgery by using him in relief rather than as a starter, which frees up Graves to shift to a starting role. If that happens, with the Reds weak pitching and powerful offense he should get plenty of save opportunities. Even if not he has quality stuff and is a good one to have on your team. Not a bad flyer to take, as he dominated at times before the surgery.
no weather
T-Ball Trainer

you'd better be right

Postby cwebb » Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:42 am

because I have Young, Eckstein and Meluskey on my team!

:->
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:06 am

These are some great guys, and not just because cwebb has a couple on his keeper team. Many of these will go below their value in a large number of drafts.

I don't think 50 hr is off the mark for Sexson; his average will hurt, but he'd be a tremendous complement to a team with Cedeno or Pierre (or Ichiro in mixed).

Wilson will also often go below value because of his low average and high number of k's. You're right, a possible move up the order makes him a bit risky.

Beltre might also be a bargain, sinc emany fantasy owners will no longer expect him to live up to his tremendous hype. Beltre has added a lot of muscle, though, and could finally become a star-caliber player.

I'm not so sure about Melusky being overlooked; catcher is so thin that anyone capable of hitting .300 should draw significant interest.

As with Wilson, keep an eye on where Eckstein will hit; Erstad may lead off this year.

No argument with Young - he's a prime bounceback candidate this year, with possible of eligibility as a bonus.

Lidle is solid, but I don't really expect him to improve. His numbers are already solid.

And as usual, it's hard to tell what the Reds are planning, easing Williamson back into the game is definately a good idea.

Nice list! Now to bump these guys up a notch for my upcoming draft...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:29 pm

besides those that have been mentioned im gonna include

CARLOS PENA!!!!! (OAK)
Juan Cruz (CHC)
Danys Baez (CLE)
Erik Hiljus (OAK)
Morgan Ensberg (HOU)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:39 pm

Good ones. Interestingly, Pena would hardly have counted as a sleeper earlier, but with so much ink going to the young 3b's, he (and Nick Johnson) fall back into this category. Cruz and Hiljus should be solid and Ensberg has a world of talent, but I'm not quite sold on Baez yet (not just because he showed poor control today). I think he may spend some time in the pen this year. We'll see what happens - the fun in sleepers lies in never knowing quite what they'll bring.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: sleepers

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:17 am

no weather wrote:Wilson, Preston
Sexson, Richie
Beltre, Adrian

I'm not so sure I'd call these guys sleepers. In my mind, Wilson is a starting outfielder in any league. Sexson is probably in the top 5 or so at 1B in the NL... and that's saying a lot, considering the talent at the position. And Beltre is in about the same company at 3B. Maybe by sleeper you mean a 6th-8th round (or medium bid) starter who produces Sosa-like numbers, but I don't really see these guys doing *quite* that. Although that's kind of nitpickety of me... sorry... B-)

Eric Young: (2B) shunned by the Cubs as step-slow and with something to prove, should be consistant in average and runs scored, and rebound to 35 steals.

I wanted to like Young. Really I did. But a .335 OBP for a leadoff hitter is rather low, combined with poor fielding (not a problem fantasy-wise, but it just made me wonder why the hell the Cubs kept him in the lineup) and nothing special speed-wise. The combination of Young and DeShields hitting 1-2 for most of the year is, IMHO, what really doomed the Cubs last year. Of course, the buzz around him this year is pretty good, especially in the SB area, and I *did* pick him as a backup for my team.

For me, I'm looking at Eli Marrero to be my big sleeper. I liked him at the beginning of the year, but was really concerned with him being platooned with 2 other catchers. With the Cards playing musical chairs in the field, and squeezing in Marrero at 1B and LF when he's not catching, I like him even more (and I can play him all over the place if I need to). His monster numbers in the first week haven't hurt my opinion of him either.

Juan Cruz could be dynamite on the mound if the wear and tear of a full season doesn't get him down (as it did to Kerry Wood last year - although he still posted good numbers).

Satoru Komiyama looks like a definite maybe as well. Foreign pitchers seem to do pretty well with confusing batters for at least one time around the league, and with the unbalanced schedule a lot of teams won't get a second chance. The run support that he's liable to receive from the Mets lineup wouldn't hurt either. If he doesn't start, he could end up closing some games if Benitez gets hurt or just needs a few days rest.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Yeah

Postby Chicago » Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:39 am

Yeah, who is this guy Marrero anyways? And who said he can begin the season the incredible way that he has. Sheesh!
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby uanap » Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:11 am

Here's what I read in The Sporting News about Marrero:

The St. Louis brain trust (Tony La Russa and Dave Duncan) values smarts and a cannon arm behind the plate more than a decent bat. Thus, they have elected to platoon Mike DiFelice and Mike Matheny. With Albert Pujols locked in left and Tino Martinez at first, Marrero is left pickin' splinters again.

Hope that doesnt damper your spirits too much.

As far as my sleepers go I will focus on some pitchers since everyone else has hit all the position players. BTW, I agree with almost all those sleepers listed so far.

I like Brad Penny a lot this year. As a Dback fan I'm still trying to figure out that trade for Mantei. Penny has some great stuff though and I think he's going to bust out this year.

I also like Roy Halladay from Toronto a lot. Halladay finished the 2001 season strong with a 1.42 ERA and a 38-5 K/BB ratio in his last six starts and has continued that streak into spring training. I'm hoping to ride that hot streak for a while myself.

I thought Pineiro would be a good sleep as well but Sweet Lou has nixed that thought. While he'll pitch more frequently out of the pen, he's not as likely to rack up wins--or slide into a full-time rotation gig any time soon. Pineiro looked like a nice sleeper heading into the season, but his value takes a big hit because of this (especially in 5x5 leagues). I don't think we've seen the last of him as a starter, though, so hang on to him if you can.

Of course Josh Fogg has some great stuff. But I wont go into that as you can read about him in another thread.

Anybody else have any pitching sleepers that I neglected to mention? BTW, I left out Beckett, Prior, et al. because if you dont know about them by now you need more help than I can offer. Just kidding.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:39 am

Komiyama closing is an interesting thought that actually makes a lot of sense. Benitez is the man in Shea, of course, but if he goes down, Komiyama would probably make more sense than Strickland, both in terms of his stuff and Bobby Valentine's confidence in him.

I like Marrero too, although uanap's info does dampen my enthusiasm a bit. For what it's worth, though, the St. Louis brain trust is about as volatile as they come, so this policy could change very quickly.

Eugene is right that Wilson, Sexson and Beltre are certainly not no-names, but yes, my definition of sleeper is fairly broad. To me, a sleeper is anyone who will be (significantly) underrated in a draft or an auction by the majority of owners.

Guys like Penny, Fogg and Juan Cruz certainly fall into that category. I definitely like all of them, especially in keeper leagues. Penny should be the fastest to develop.

Eric Young remains a mystery. The jury's still out, though - I guess his owners will have to be patient. Too bad about Pineiro - he certainly has potential. He'll get his chance, although it may not be this season.

Hmmm... pitching sleepers. Check out those added to our sleepers section. I really like Padilla. There are always the injured guys, of course, who may be overlooked in some leagues. Benson or Schmidt could still have an impact this year, but they probably don't qualify for the sleeper label. There are lots of guys in the bullpen, and many in the minors who may or may not be called up this year, but the list of starters is thin indeed. Tomo Ohka might finally put it together in Montreal, but that's a big gamble. Ryan Jensen is worth watching, but it's too early to pick him up in all but the deepest leagues. Oh yes, here's one: Jon Rauch pitched in relief his first time out, but he'll get the start tomorrow against Detroit. Rauch has a great upside and could do surprisingly well this year.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers