Gio Gonzalez vs. Jordan Zimmerman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gio Gonzalez vs. Jordan Zimmerman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gio Gonzalez vs. Jordan Zimmerman

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:49 am

I think the K/9 will be a lot closer than most people think. the 6.9 K/9 JZ posted last season has to go up a bit... His first season in the majors was just over a K per inning, and he had an even better K rate in the minors. I full expect the K's to bounce back a bit.

Assuming a 200 IP season, the way that I project them to be is:

Gio Gonzalez - 12 wins, 3.70 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 205 K's

Jordan Zimmerman - 12 wins, 3.25 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 175 K's

Take it as you may, but I give the edge to Zimmerman.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:19 pm

I have Zimmerman at 7.3 K/9 and Gio at 8.8 K/9 so those seem pretty close to what I predict too. WHIP doesn't usually get a big boost from moving to the NL and that really hurts Gio. I have my doubts that Zimmerman can stay healthy a full season which is the only reason I'd take Gio over him in H2H. If they both pitch 200+ innings I can't see any reason not to take Zimmerman though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Element » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:03 pm

Ender wrote:I have Zimmerman at 7.3 K/9 and Gio at 8.8 K/9 so those seem pretty close to what I predict too. WHIP doesn't usually get a big boost from moving to the NL and that really hurts Gio. I have my doubts that Zimmerman can stay healthy a full season which is the only reason I'd take Gio over him in H2H. If they both pitch 200+ innings I can't see any reason not to take Zimmerman though.

Agree completely. And one thing that I hate having is guys on my team that walks everyone. I drafted both guys last season and it was hard watching Gio. It was even harder on my WHIP. It made things very difficult to correct. If I can add solid WHIP guys that can also strike out a fair amount of batters I am all game. I love Zimmermann.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby Tavish » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Ender wrote:I have Zimmerman at 7.3 K/9 and Gio at 8.8 K/9 so those seem pretty close to what I predict too.

I think there is a decent shot that Gio approaches 10 K/9 this season. He will likely still finish behind Zimmermann in both ERA and WHIP but I think there should be enough K's to offset the differences. I'll take Gio by a hair.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers