Gio Gonzalez vs. Jordan Zimmerman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gio Gonzalez vs. Jordan Zimmerman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gio Gonzalez vs. Jordan Zimmerman

Postby goldtop » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:44 pm

I like both these players this year, but will probably only end up with one of them. Who should I target first?
goldtop
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gio Gonzalez vs. Jordan Zimmerman

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:48 pm

I prefer Gio slightly but I think it's pretty much a toss up. Probably a similar ERA, zimmerman with a better WHIP, and Gio with a lot more strikeouts.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:15 pm

I don't like either of them at the round they tend to go in but I'll take Zimmerman if it is roto, Gonzalez if it is H2H.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby HighHeater » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:10 am

i'll take the guy with better saber metrics: Zimmermann
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby cordscords » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:14 am

Zimmerman and I don't blink. K/9 should improve, and without an innings cap should notch 160-170 K's.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 22)

Postby rjforlife » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:27 am

I think it's gonna be Gio this year, and not close. He pitches deeper into games than Zimmerman, which should result in more wins given they are on the same team. The added inning and already better K/9 also means Gio should be 40-50 more K's than Zimmerman, as the switch to the NL may only serve to further that gap. ERA is a legitimate toss-up, so there's no real way to say who has the edge there. Gio certainly walks more batters, but he strikes more out at as well, getting his strand rate up and keeping his ERA down. The WHIP is the only arena Zimmerman has the clear edge, and it could be significant, but if you want to start drafting pitchers on WHIP alone, good luck to you. I will take the massive K's, probable more W's, and worse WHIP every time.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:44 am

cordscords wrote:Zimmerman and I don't blink. K/9 should improve, and without an innings cap should notch 160-170 K's.

He might have an innings cap because they will be out of the playoffs by August. There is also a huge injury risk. As I mentioned in my post I don't see how you can count on him in H2H. In Roto is rate stats make him more attractive than Gonzalez who is just barely rosterable but at least he'll play every day.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:49 am

rjforlife wrote:I think it's gonna be Gio this year, and not close. He pitches deeper into games than Zimmerman, which should result in more wins given they are on the same team. The added inning and already better K/9 also means Gio should be 40-50 more K's than Zimmerman, as the switch to the NL may only serve to further that gap. ERA is a legitimate toss-up, so there's no real way to say who has the edge there. Gio certainly walks more batters, but he strikes more out at as well, getting his strand rate up and keeping his ERA down. The WHIP is the only arena Zimmerman has the clear edge, and it could be significant, but if you want to start drafting pitchers on WHIP alone, good luck to you. I will take the massive K's, probable more W's, and worse WHIP every time.

Career whip

JZ 1.23
GG 1.41

More baserunners, mean more runs, less likely chance to win.

Career xFIP

JZ 3.66
GG 3.98

As far as deeper into games,

GG last year, 6.31 innings per start.
JZ last year, 6.20 innings per start.
Now factor in, Gio never got pulled for a pinch hitter, which will happen now in the NL.

GG will miss Oaklands foul ground.

Career splits

H 3.56 era
R 4.32 era

GG gets more K's, the wins is a toss up, depending on run support, but JZ wins the era/whip.
Given GG no longer has Oakland to help him, and he will get pulled sooner then in the AL,
I take JZ easily, because he is better at preventing base runners, by a large amount.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby bayside » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:28 am

I think Zimmermann is pretty clearly the better pitcher, and the one with the higher upside.

Gio got a lot of help pitching in Oakland, and his only clear advantage is K/rate - and that gap will close some this year.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby West » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:27 am

Ender wrote:
cordscords wrote:Zimmerman and I don't blink. K/9 should improve, and without an innings cap should notch 160-170 K's.

He might have an innings cap because they will be out of the playoffs by August. There is also a huge injury risk. As I mentioned in my post I don't see how you can count on him in H2H. In Roto is rate stats make him more attractive than Gonzalez who is just barely rosterable but at least he'll play every day.

Typo? I fail to see how Gio Gonzalez is barely rosterable unless you play in 8 team mixed leagues. Guy should easily approach 200K's and 15 wins with solid ratios (not as good as last year but still a very respectable xFIP). I've got him tentatively ranked easily in the top 25 and probably closer to 20th best pitcher.

I'd take Gio over Zimmermann because he's the safer bet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Zimmermann hit the DL at some point. My bet is 160-170 IP.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers