Best Keeper League settings? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Best Keeper League settings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Keeper League settings?

Postby LtShineySides » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:48 pm

What would be your guys advice on the keeper setting for someone setting up a keeper league? Whats the best way to decide how many and what players can be kept? What has been the most fun, and most competitive way to do it?
LtShineySides
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best Keeper League settings?

Postby ndg728 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:32 pm

I have been in a keeper league before, and since it was through work when I left the job I left the league. But I have recently started a keeper league using the same concept.

First it has to be an Auction Draft for this to work. We have three different contracts, Minor League, Major League, Long Term. After our Auction draft we hold a serpentine minor league draft for 5 rounds. Anyone drafted here can be signed to a Minor league or Major League contract. Here is how the contracts work.

Minor League contract: Must be drafted in the Minor league draft. These contracts cost no money and last for two years. The year drafted and the following year. In year two if you want to keep the player they can be signed to a Major League contract for $5.

Major League contract: Can be signed from the minors as stated above. Or you can sign the player for this year and the following year for their draft value.

Long Term Contract: Can only be signed if already on a Major League contract. It is essentially a contract extension that can be signed for 1, 2, or 3 years. With the contract value increasing by $5 for each year of the contract. For example, Player X is drafted for $8 and signed to a Major league contract you would have that player through 2013 season for $8. If this player has turned into a stud you will want to extend their contract at a cost of $5 per year. $13 in 2014, $18 in 2015 and $23 in 2016. The catch on the long term deal is, you have to declare how many years you are signing them for up front. This contract can not be extended again. The reason for this is, if you sign a bad contract, you're stuck with it. And if it's a great contract, you can't own them for too long of a period.

You can only have two of each contract in our league. Giving you a max of 6 keepers. We may expand this to 4 of each contract next year.

Hope this helped!
ndg728
T-Ball Trainer

Postby bobnerns » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:19 am

ndg728 wrote:I have been in a keeper league before, and since it was through work when I left the job I left the league. But I have recently started a keeper league using the same concept.

First it has to be an Auction Draft for this to work. We have three different contracts, Minor League, Major League, Long Term. After our Auction draft we hold a serpentine minor league draft for 5 rounds. Anyone drafted here can be signed to a Minor league or Major League contract. Here is how the contracts work.

Minor League contract: Must be drafted in the Minor league draft. These contracts cost no money and last for two years. The year drafted and the following year. In year two if you want to keep the player they can be signed to a Major League contract for $5.

Major League contract: Can be signed from the minors as stated above. Or you can sign the player for this year and the following year for their draft value.

Long Term Contract: Can only be signed if already on a Major League contract. It is essentially a contract extension that can be signed for 1, 2, or 3 years. With the contract value increasing by $5 for each year of the contract. For example, Player X is drafted for $8 and signed to a Major league contract you would have that player through 2013 season for $8. If this player has turned into a stud you will want to extend their contract at a cost of $5 per year. $13 in 2014, $18 in 2015 and $23 in 2016. The catch on the long term deal is, you have to declare how many years you are signing them for up front. This contract can not be extended again. The reason for this is, if you sign a bad contract, you're stuck with it. And if it's a great contract, you can't own them for too long of a period.

You can only have two of each contract in our league. Giving you a max of 6 keepers. We may expand this to 4 of each contract next year.

Hope this helped!

I love this concept. What site do you use for this?
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mkultra » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:41 pm

If you've never done a keeper league before, I think ndg728's system is going to be overwhelming for you. Keep it simple!

First of all, you don't need auction. Snake draft is just fine. You really only need to ask yourself two questions:

- How many players should be kept? I think 5-7 is a good number to work with in a 12-team league. If you keep fewer, your keeper decisions aren't that hard, but if you require teams to keep more you're going to wind up with inexperienced managers being saddled with lousy players. With that number, everyone should be able to keep 3-4 top players and a couple of talented youngsters.

- How much churn do you want? An easy thing to do is limit the number of consecutive years a player can be kept (3-4 is common). A slightly more complicated path is to require a manager to give up a pick in the round you drafted a keeper, +X rounds per year (usually two). So a 10-round pick requires giving up an 8th-round pick next year to keep. Contract years will generally lend toward keeping "the best players", giving up draft picks tends to reward smart drafting.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby dfa » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:50 am

I found this article at the hardball times very helpful when designing my league.

For me, this was the best system:

Lastly, I like the idea of keeping 4 players, with the added price being tacked onto them ($1,4,7,10). There’s definitely a bit of regression there, in that you clearly can’t keep all of your ridiculous deals forever. But, if you really like a player, you could keep designating him your +$1 keeper each year, to ensure he stays on your team. Tons of strategy potential here, I like this a lot.

I have a similar idea in place in my league. What I do is that we have 5 keepers per year, but each keeper gets a "contract." Each manager gets to keep one player 5 years, one 4 years, etc. Last year my keepers were: 5 - Ryan Zimmerman, 4 - Adrian Gonzalez, 3 - Cliff Lee, 2 - Dan Haren, 1 - Nelson Cruz

So this year I cannot keep Nelson Cruz, and all of those guys move down a slot. I drafted Strasburg late in the draft last year knowing that I would want him as my 5 year keeper this year.

Logic: I wanted to keep the draft strong each year, but I also wanted a way to have your favorite player with you for a long time. Plus this adds some level of complexity come draft day because there is an outside pressure to pick a younger player who you feel will be a worthy 5 year keeper. For example, another manager picked Adam Wainwright the round after I picked Strasburg. Not too complicated, but not too simple either.
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Commissioner's Corner