Braun's NEW Fantasy Value... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braun's NEW Fantasy Value...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Braun's NEW Fantasy Value...

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:45 pm

i don't even know the meaning of the above post. but I was looking for a bust-a-nut smiley.. couldn't find one, though.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:51 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Ender wrote:
Steroids are, however, performance enhancing. I believe that he juiced and that now that he is off the juice he will disappoint in comparison to what you expect from a top-5 pick and/or he will get injured.

And I believe that this is absurd. He has taken 25+ steroid tests in his career. If he juiced it was for a very short term and had almost nothing to do with his performance over the majority of his career which has been top 5 quality pick the entire way. I don't personally believe he even took steroids because the test came during the only period in time that players KNOW they are going to be tested. If he was juicing it was the one time of the year he would have stopped just to avoid the positive. It is much more likely that the sample was tainted than anything else given the full story we have gotten. But if he did use steroids it was almost certainly to get back from his injury this year and there is no reason to think it was some prolonged thing that will make a large impact on his statistics from here on out. He might take longer to get back from injuries but that is about it.

hmm. We have different opinions. I'm of the opinion that the masking technology is well ahead of the detection methods. I believe that most juicers avoid detection and if you get caught it's because you screwed up and it demonstrates that you're probably a user. Braun got off on a technicality. The evidence from the lab was that the sample was sealed and was not tampered with and it definitely showed elevated levels of testosterone. This would have been good enough for the Olympics but here he was able to get off on a technicality.

I don't know how you can say that at most he only juiced for a very short term. I've got just as little backing up my feeling that he was a regular juicer. You seem to have a man crush on him. I'm more jaded and of the opinion that he's a cheater. Maybe he'll buy better masking agents and take better advice on when to go off it and so his numbers won't be affected. But maybe MLB wants to catch him now because he's trying to embarrass them so the increased scrutiny will get him off the juice for the short term and his numbers will suffer.

I'm rambling now .. but there was a time when Raffy pounded the table and said read my lips, I didn't do steroids. Sure Raffy. History has shown that when you come clean baseball is quick to forgive but when you mistakenly profess your innocence you fall hard. I have a bad feeling about how this will end for Braun.
Top to bottom I couldn't agree more.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:31 am

Early reports from spring training are Braun is absolutely destroying the ball in batting practice. He is more of an upside move than a risk at this point because he has more power than has translated at this point, he always absolutely crushes the ball and no reason to think his speed will significantly fall apart at this point, his peripherals support a .300+ avg as well.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby skjelstrom » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:36 pm

I need to stop taking advantage of public leagues..... Took Braun with my 3rd round pick !+) I feel like a thief... I'm ashamed of myself.
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby jcook3127 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 am

Listen there truly is no great logical reason that suggests that Braun won't have a first round season this year.

That said...

I really do think that the loss of fielder, and the increased media attention, and the increased scrutiny he will face from fans on road trips will blend together into a disappointing year.

There's no way in hell he'll be driven in 100 times...the steals were an outlier and even if they weren't, chances are he'll get less opportunities EVEN WITH Fielder gone because he has to stay upright this year for the Brew Crew to have a prayer.

I don't know I smell disappointment...obviously he is a phenominal talent so he's not going to tank on us...but if 95R/27/98/18/.296 would shock you then I think you could be in for a surprise..that's a very very plausible mid-line for a healthy Braun this year and if you take him over Agonz or Votto I think you're a clown
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbird669 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:14 am

if you believe Paul White's sources http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=439130, Braun didn't test positive for steroids (funny you're not hearing what he took). Contract year is a 50/50 proposition, but it's going to be the lack of Fielder than may affect him more than anything else. Though he did get help via Aramis Ramirez and the NL Central is anyone's game.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Will Carroll said the same thing, the only person he's heard mention the synthetic T was the person who leaked the report. Also I've seen posts by people about the process for actually finding synthetic T and it is an extremely inexact science, it isn't like you scan it and say haha we found synthetic T. It is more that you found 'something' that doesn't belong so it all gets lumped into synthetic T.

Whether he is guilty or not doesn't matter too much to his fantasy value though and the media has been all over Braun his entire career so I really don't see him faltering because of it. He just isn't the type to have on field problems because of off field stuff going on. If it were Fielder who was going through this I could buy it, he really lets things get to him but Braun doesn't show this at all.

The guys hitting in front of him haven't changed except maybe having Morgan all year instead of part of it so the RBI shouldn't change substantially. He scored 100+ R the year Fielder drove in 83 and I imagine Aramis can match 83 RBI so I don't really expect the R to fall off either. I only projected 20 SB for him because I don't see him running as much but it also won't surprise me to see 30 SB again, he is a good base stealer.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:19 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:No Fielder,

He is going to be just fine without Fielder. Braun could have you hitting behind him, and he would still be a great player.

this is true, great players don't get hampered by hitting in bad lineups. Look at Guerrero, he consistently put together monster seasons playing for Montreal and he had guys like Rondell White and Brad Fullmer protecting him. Besides, Milwaukee's lineup isn't that bad, they still have Weeks and Hart and got Aramis Ramirez who should put together a decent season.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby rotoquest » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:17 pm

It's silly to think that someone so talented will post clunker stats this year, but is anyone concerned about Braun pressing this year because he may feel he has something to prove? .083 batting avg during spring training is not very characteristic of him. I know the talent is still there, but he is human, and his bat is going to follow where his mind goes.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:05 pm

rotoquest wrote:It's silly to think that someone so talented will post clunker stats this year, but is anyone concerned about Braun pressing this year because he may feel he has something to prove? .083 batting avg during spring training is not very characteristic of him. I know the talent is still there, but he is human, and his bat is going to follow where his mind goes.

I think one of 3 things will happen.

1. He has an off year and people say it is because of the steroid thing
2. He has a good year and people say he was out to prove he wasn't on steroids
3. He has a normal year and people just don't talk about him.

As for Braun he has 12 AB stretched over 6 games, just not worth worry about at this point of spring training. Aramis Ramirez was 0 for 11 just the other day and now he is hitting .200, the samples are so small that 1 or 2 hits turns the stats around. Weeks, Ramirez and Braun have barely played this spring, I guess they plan on playing them a lot more heavily the final 2 weeks so they get their swings down.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers