Mock Draft - Rate My Picks (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Mock Draft - Rate My Picks (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mock Draft - Rate My Picks (WHIR)

Postby Choptoberfest » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:53 pm

I did my first mock draft of the season last night, and I was wondering how you guys would rate how I did. So here is my draft (I had 2nd pick);

12 Team, ESPN, 5x5, H2H

1. Matt Kemp
2. Adrian Beltre
3. Jered Weaver
4. Mike Napoli
5. Brandon Phillips
6. C.J. Wilson
7. Michael Pineda
8. Brett Gardner
9. Jason Heyward
10. Derek Jeter
11. Adam Lind
12. Anibal Sanchez
13. Jair Jurrjens
14. Stephen Drew
15. Brandon Morrow
16. Jeff Francoeur
17. Carlos Marmol
18. Matt Capps
19. Edwin Encarnacion
20. Brandon Belt
21. Jhoulys Chacin

The draft went on for four more rounds after that, but my internet went out, and I went on autodraft, so I'm not going to post those picks here.

My general strategy is this:

Draft for position scarcity.
Don't draft pitchers in the first two rounds.
Don't draft 1B in the first round.
Don't pay for saves.

I feel like I waited too long to draft 1B and SS. I also feel like I may have drafted Gardner a little too high, but I felt like I needed some more SB's. Some things I liked were drafting Napoli in the 4th, JJ in the 13th, and Belt in the 20th.

How do you guys think I did? Any other draft strategies you care to share?
Choptoberfest
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mock Draft - Rate My Picks (WHIR)

Postby CyboNinja » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:32 am

Not bad. I think maybe you could've done better for a redraft but some of it is just my opinion on players. For example I think Beltre with you second pick may have been a little high but I also think Beltre is overvalued this season.

As far as strategy goes I feel exactly opposite as far as positional scarcity goes. Way I see it, the score card don't care which position you got those HRs and RBIs from, the important thing is you have more of them then the other guy. I draft for production first and fill up the positions later as I round out my team. Also in a H2H league particularly, hitters are much more valuable imo. I am in a similar league to yours (12 team H2H, 6x6, 7 keepers) and my strategy this year is to keep zero pitchers. In H2H leagues I feel you can do just fine waiting on the 7th round or later to even consider a pitcher, especially if you have a high transaction limit. Also keep in mind speed is cheap and even more so in a H2H 5x5, and for good reason. Power is MUCH more valuable (1 HR helps 4/5 stats). You should be able to find a few 30+ SB guys on your FA wire this year easily.

Good luck this season and I hope my take on it helps you.

PS Kemp is def a great 2nd pick but one year removed from a stinker I feel more comfortable with Poohole's or Miggy's proven consistency. You want as much production as you can get out of your first pick (not that Kemp is a bad pick) so get that guy you KNOW is gonna get you 300/30/100. So what if they play 1B. Thats my 2c.
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 96)

Re: Mock Draft - Rate My Picks (WHIR)

Postby Cwgibson » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:47 pm

Pretty similar to mine as I have the second pick as well. I have tried several different strategies I have mostly taken Braun and Tulo at the second slot. Bumgarner is usually the first pitcher I have take; because pitching is really deep. I'm doing mocks just to make myself more patient drafting them in the later rounds.
Cwgibson
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team