ESPN Keeper League ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

ESPN Keeper League ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ESPN Keeper League ?

Postby malibuspeedrace » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:19 pm

it is the offseason for this league...But trades are being made (for Picks, Players the usual....)

We are keeping 12 players & the keeper deadline hasn't approached yet.

But managers are still dropping players that they either can't trade or have no interest in even thinking about keeping as a keeper.

Commissioner Dropped
Emilio Bonifacio, David Ortiz & Tim Hudson at 12:32 AM.....

At 3:29 PM Commissioner added
David Ortiz

Isn't that a ethical NO-NO?

otherwise what is stopping me from dropping Prado & Masterson so I can pick up Yu Darvish & Yoenis Cespedes.

The way I see it, is once dropped there is no difference between the 3 of them.

upon calling him on it This was his response

I cut him, thinking I wasn't going to keep him, I decided to go another direction and keep him. The keeper deadline hasn't passed, nor has the March 1st cut to 14. So technically he is still on my team. Once that deadline passes, then he is off limits, and will be put into the draft.

am I wrong in finding this to be a very questionable move...
malibuspeedrace
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ESPN Keeper League ?

Postby LARS929 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 pm

Is there a rule in place that says you can't pick up players and keep them? In my keeper leagues I have such a rule, where once the MLB season ends no adding can be done. Trades are allowed, but no adds are allowed. I don't think this is just an all-around rule. It may be pretty common, but I would think if it's not said, then Darvish and Cespedes are fair game.
LARS929
College Coach
College Coach

Postby malibuspeedrace » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:05 pm

it was one of those unwritten rule types that everyone is in agreement with who has spoken on the matter.

The commish was all up in arms when one league member realized he was out & tanked 2 matchups by playing noone other then poor avg guys. he then kicked him out without a league vote or anything. We managed to get the guy back in but the commish had these things to say

Benching all your players are against the spirit of the league.

Really? We really have to post every rule, that you know hurts the integrity of the league.

There also isn't a written rule for collusion, but it will still get you removed from the league.

so this would appear to follow under the same unwritten rules.
malibuspeedrace
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mkultra » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm sorry, how hard is it to write down the rules to your league? Every league should have a constitution. There are a fair amount of boilerplate ones out there, no excuse for not having one.

As for this situation- does your league site allow pickups in the offseason, or did the commish do that as an admin move? Since it's the same day, it looks like an admin move, which is extra super shady.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby malibuspeedrace » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:53 pm

I thought it was admin move so I tried.

I clicked the ADD Victor Martinez feature and it surprisingly went through.
I proceeded to drop him immediately so the time added & time dropped read the exact same time.
I then posted that I was just seeing if it worked for everyone, or if it was a special admin thing.

So long story short. ESPN didn't have that enabled, or the commish selected the option.

Maybe I am making this a bigger deal then it is....But it just seems shady.
malibuspeedrace
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:40 am

malibuspeedrace wrote:I thought it was admin move so I tried.

I proceeded to drop him immediately so the time added & time dropped read the exact same time.
I then posted that I was just seeing if it worked for everyone, or if it was a special admin thing.

So long story short. ESPN didn't have that enabled, or the commish selected the option.

In the ESPN League that I Commish, I went over to the players and all are Free Agents and none can be picked up. Your Commish did something to be able to pickup players.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby malibuspeedrace » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:13 pm

bigmck wrote:
malibuspeedrace wrote:I thought it was admin move so I tried.

In the ESPN League that I Commish, I went over to the players and all are Free Agents and none can be picked up. Your Commish did something to be able to pickup players.

no settings have been changed in the last week so it must have always been set that way.

No one else is seemingly interested in making this into anything though & the Commish has since declared that Ortiz is one of his 12 keepers. Looks like the shady dealings will remain & I will just have to deal with it.
malibuspeedrace
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jedvii » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:31 pm

As a commish, I will allow an owner to get a player back that they've dropped. So if htye cut their roster down to 5 well before the keeper deadline and one of their keepers is out for the year, I will allow them to put one of their cut players back on their team (i've been known to allow owners to do this after the keeper deadline, but before the draft in season ending injuries). You cannot, however, add a player to your team that has been cut by another team.

As a commissioner, I would rather have a competetive league and slightly bend the rules, than have one team's season be significantly hindered before the season even starts. The important thing is to have your owners trust you to do what is right, make sure you don't try to bend rules in your favor, and make sure that if you do it for one owner, all others know you would do it for them. Also, be very transparent about it. If you do ANYTHING that might be suspicious, announce it immediately after doing it. never wait for someone to "call" you on something, that is how you lose trust.

-jed
Get Half off 2014 cbs sports commissioner league with this code http://cbssports.com/ref/49894850
jedvii
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 6)

Return to Commissioner's Corner