Auction Newbie Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Auction Newbie Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Newbie Question

Postby miracles716 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:14 pm

Hello I have a question, I have never done an auction draft before and just would like to know some strategies I should use and how much should I be willing to bid on the star players? It is a 14 team standard roto league with $260 budget so how high should I be willing to go for Pujols for example?
miracles716
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 57)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction Newbie Question

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Check out this link, it may be helpful to you: http://www.lastplayerpicked.com/category/auctions/
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:52 pm

First rule...go in with a plan. Who you will target and how much at each of the slots. Have backup plans for all. Those that do not have a stratgey will usualy get toasted.

Next, generally auctions follow bidding phases with a fair amount consistency. They are:

1. The beginning players brought to the board are almost always sold at or well above value. Everyone has money to spend early on their favorite targets. Generally it is a bad idea to bring a player to the board early that you really want as such and you are usually better off bringing up someone you have no intention of bidding on and who you know will bring a large dollar cost to another owner (so you can draw down their budget on someone you do not intend to pick up). Of course the other owners are doing this to you as well, so be prepared to spend on a player you really want if he comes up early and have a backup strategy if he gets too pricey. Do not be afraid to spend a couple of extra bucks over what you planned if you really want the guy. It does not make sense to fall back to a backup plan on a major part of your straegy for a couple of bucks.

2. There will come a point somewhere 1/3 to 1/2 through the auction where prices will fall and good bargains can be had on fairly good ball players. This is where auctions are won or lost imo. This is where a number of teams are now tight on money and will not bid on players freely as such. You need to pick and choose, but this is the area to grab that 20 dollar player for 12 dollars or that 25 dollar player for 15.

3. Next comes the final big bidding push. This is where most of the elite or decent talent is off the board. Then the last good 3b gets brought up for ex., and two or three teams that still need a 3b get into a bidding war over him. Prices go crazy. You do NOT want to get into this. What you want to do is recognize the situation and call that player out at that point to let someone overpay.

4. You get into the single digit dollar players as every team is generally out of money and maybe has enough to spend 5-8 on a couple of players and $1 on the rest. You can get good value here if you play it right.

5. Finally there is the $1 scrubs where everyone is left wih a buck or 2 for all the remaining players to fill out their rosters and it essentialy becomes a draft. If you have flyers, now is the time to try to get them cheap if they are still around. Be aware though that if someone can still bid 2 and you can only bid one, you may not get him if you call him out. Of course if you do not call him out, you definitely will not get him lol.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby miracles716 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:08 pm

here are some of the guys i picked so far, how'd i do?

konerko $17
cano $39
andrus $20
trout $8
rasmus $10
stubbs $10
mcclutchen $26
holliday $20
lincecum $25
price $24
grienke $20
marmol $8
miracles716
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SecretAgentMan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:10 pm

miracles716 wrote:here are some of the guys i picked so far, how'd i do?

konerko $17
cano $39
andrus $20
trout $8
rasmus $10
stubbs $10
mcclutchen $26
holliday $20
lincecum $25
price $24
grienke $20
marmol $8

Pretty decent. Can't complain about Konerko, Mccutchen, Marmol or Holliday. Stubbs at $10 is a good pickup. The prices for the SPs are fair. I am not a fan of Lincecum though so I would have probably spent the money on somene else, but that is me. I would not have spent $20 on Andrus. To me, Andrus is like most of the other mid-tier SSs, giving you Sbs and runs in this case so I would not have spent a lot of money on the position at that point but again that is just me as I would have directed the money elsewhere and gone with a bottom dweller for 4-5 dollars. Rasmus is very marginal and $10 is too much imo unless this is a very deep league and even then I can't see $10. Trout for $8 is also too much imo for a guy that is likely not going to play regularly. Unless this is a dynasty keeper league or you keep a lot of players, he is not worth anywhere near $8 right now.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby miracles716 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:15 pm

is $20 for holliday too high given how bad last yr was? my last 2 adds were santos and hudson at $8.
miracles716
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:34 pm

$20 for Holliday is a good deal, IMO. He's coming off a bad year, but he's a solid hitter.
I would not have paid $8 for Trout, assuming this is a non-keeper league. He probably won't even break out of rookie eligibility this season.
Also, be careful about shelling out so much for so many starters. SP is deep, and there are plenty of good guys to be found for a buck or two at the end of your auction.

SecretAgentMan's strategy points are really good. Especially the first one, which is to understand that a player you put up for bidding does not need to be a player you want. Personally, I like to offer up "hot" guys I either don't want or know I'll be outbid on, so I can get that cash off the table. This year, it's guys like Darvish, Pineda, Strasburg, Hosmer, and Lawrie- they won't command elite-talent dollars, but they're unlikely to give the value they go for. Depending on how you feel about closers, offer up the elite guys early (Kimbrel, Papelbon, Rivera) and grab lower-end guys cheap.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby miracles716 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:17 pm

so should i direct most of my budget towards offense or pitching? and if so do i go after positions with weak depth like 2nd and SS? I was quite happy i got my closer quota filled for under $25
miracles716
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:28 pm

miracles716 wrote:here are some of the guys i picked so far, how'd i do?

konerko $17
cano $39
andrus $20
trout $8
rasmus $10
stubbs $10
mcclutchen $26
holliday $20
lincecum $25
price $24
grienke $20
marmol $8

Too much for Trout but solid otherwise. ;-D
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby fluharty10 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks for the help
fluharty10
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions