Punting HRs and RBIs, can it work? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punting HRs and RBIs, can it work?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Punting HRs and RBIs, can it work?

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:03 am

Can It work? The short answer is NO and I'll tell you why

All it takes is one of your hitter to have a slump, Not get a hit and you lose AVE.
All it takes is one of your speed guys to go up againt a team that has a catcher that has an arm that can throw him out.
Becouse a Home Run is a Run that you would be punting.

Then Finaly. Mather how good of pitching stuff you put together all it take is one your pitchers to noced around and you lose ERA and Whip.
THE TERMINATOR
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SLBarnes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Bit late on this..but i am using this strategy this year. I am in a keeper league where we keep 7 (5 anyone, 1 rookie, 1 pitcher) My Keepers are:

Matt Kemp
Jacoby Ellsbury
Hanley Ramirez
Brett Gardner

Desmond Jennings (lkeague uses weird rookie eligibility)

Roy Halladay
Tim Lincecum

I think im in a decent situation as the top 3 are 5 tool guys. I know ellsbury won't repreat last year, but he will hit 300 100 runs and 30 sbs which is perfect for this strategy. Hopefully Reyes can light a fire under ramirez and he'll return to also being a 5 tool guy.

I personally like this as a starting point for this strategy.

I am now trying to devise a drafting strategy, with 84 players off the board im not sure where to look first. I know i do want to get michael young and billy butler...but i also want to get supporting SP and closers as well...how would you draft??

WHIR
SLBarnes
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm not sure why you would want to go with the punting strategy with those keepers. You definitely have a solid base in steals but it isn't like you are completely devoid in power.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Yeah seriously. Hanley, Kemp and Ellsbury and you want to punt HR and RBI? Makes no sense at all. Why would you shoot yourself in both feet with such a good core? And you're gonna have to pay for Michael Young's RBI as a second baseman so that wouldn't be the wisest choice. I wouldn't shrug off Ellsbury's power surge either. It looks real, to be honest. I know it's only one year but in a vacuum nothing looks out of place.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:02 am

Personally, I think it sounds like a lot of fun. Not something I'd want to do in every league, but a great one-league experiment.

I wonder, would it work better in an auction league? Blow your budget on pitchers, and maybe Ellsbury, then try to mine the midround steals guys. Not sure... :-?
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby mikekim2121 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:04 am

Tavish wrote:I'm not sure why you would want to go with the punting strategy with those keepers. You definitely have a solid base in steals but it isn't like you are completely devoid in power.

I'm thinking the same thing. Those are solid keepers in many categories.

Can it work? Maybe.

Should you do it? Definitely not
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers