Punting HRs and RBIs, can it work? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punting HRs and RBIs, can it work?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Punting HRs and RBIs, can it work?

Postby interchange » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Agreed with the consensus that punting cats really doesn't work all that great in H2H, despite the solid theory. I have tried this exact strategy without success.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby galante22 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:12 pm

it can def work but the way your going about it is wrong. your plan is to draft sb guys and hope to win runs and average sometimes, that wont work. your goal is to win runs, sbs, and average weekly while having a staff that should dominate and win 3+ categories weekly. someone said 7 of your first 10 picks would be pitchers and thats just not accurate. your gonna want 2 aces (3rd strong starter) and 3 elite closers (kimbrel, mariano, axford for example). this will almost ensure youll win saves each week. itll also give you a tremendous advantage in your era and whip as these closers wont be giving up many runs, hits, or walks. then your other 2 pitching spots you want to be able to mix in high k's and two start guys. the logic here is the closers will give you enough of a boost that u can afford a few weaker 2 starters to help k's and wins. you gotta find the right balance. now as far as hitters go you cant wait for guys to just fall to you. you need to draft a few solid bats to make this work...two essential pieces to this offense is pedroia and reyes. they both hit over .300 score in the top 5 in Runs and can steal alot of bases. maybe get a ace round 1, pedroia round 2, reyes round 3, wont always work out that way but there are certain guys you really need for this offense. i wouldnt be opposed to drafting a stud hitter if one of your guys goes and trying to work out a deal...

an example of what a team like this should look like

c-mauer (you want the high average and he tends to score in the upper end of runs for a catcher)
1b-hosmer(he steals the most bases but any 1b with a high average will do, votto is a good choice but hard to get)
2b-pedroia(perfect for this offense...also jemile weeks who hits .285 give or take and steals 40)
ss-reyes(perfect SS, also starlin castro, last resort dee gordon)
3b-prado(rough to find a good fit at 3b, bonifacio, hanley, wright all decent options id wait on 3b and take prado for the aveage and runs)
of-bourn(runs, average, tremendous steals)
of-ichiro(bounce back over .300 and 30 sbs?)
of-gardner, pagan, crisp, tabath, jackson, span(so many late late options)

lookin at that lineup you should win runs, steals, average almost weekly and it wont cost you many high picks to grab these guys meaning you can draft a dominating staff...
galante22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby galante22 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Mock Draft Using This Stategy

c-mauer
1b-freeman
2b-pedroia
ss-reyes
3b-polanco
of-bourn
of-ichiro
of-gardner
u-jemile weeks
sp-felix hernandez
sp-gallardo
sp-zimmerman
sp-tim stauffer
sp-jeff niemann
rp-craig kimbrel
rp-john axford
rp-mariano rivera

this is basically what your team would look like. pretty safe to say youll win runs, sbs and average almost on a weekly basis. almost every hitter has a chance to hit .300 + besides probably gardner who should score over 90 runs and steal around 40. as for the pitching staff your closers should dominate and really carry the staff. id stockpile my bench with sps and switch the final 2 sps in and out based on matchups and 2 starts. felix, gallardo, zimmerman is a great 3 to start with and the closers will help tremendously in era and whip while almost guarenteeing saves weekly. id expect you to win most weeks at least 6-4 alot of 7-3 if your two starters grab a few wins or help with k's
galante22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby skjelstrom » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Lets say you get in the top 4 or 5 of the draft order though. Your certainly not going to obtain a pedroia-reyes combo though unless your lucky with reyes falling and reaching a lot for pedroia with your first pick... I mean i guess you could grab an ellsbury or kemp with your first pick. But then you'd probably have to settle with a Jemile weeks, Andrus? In which case would hurt you a lot more in the avg category.
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 103)

Postby galante22 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:27 pm

with that early of a pick you could go ellsbury, 2nd round pedroia, 3rd round sp as hamels, grienke, haren, will most likely be available sometimes even better depending on your league. personally i dont play this way id rather compete in every category. i actually draft power heavy...that being said i see no reason why this cant work. your not gonna win in fantasy every year no matter what but if u can win the majoirty of weeks 6-4 7-3 youll be in real good shape. work the waiver wire etc and i dont see why this couldnt potentially work

another way to potentially go with that pick is draft kemp, pujols, migzy and then try to trade them. if you over someone pujols for mauer, kershaw, and bonifacio theyd most likely do it and it tremendously helps your team for your purpose...even pujols for a halladay and kimbrel type deal. idk just an idea. worst case is u grabbed a 1b/3b where there are no stand outs for this strategy and got someone whos gonna score 100 runs and hit over .300
Last edited by galante22 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galante22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:28 pm

bayside wrote:Last year in one of my h2h leagues we had a guy who managed to draft Verlander, Weaver, Hanson, Wainwright, Beckett, Marcum, Garza,
Rivera, Storen, Perez, and KRod. And he even had a decent offense as well.

Unbeatable staff on paper right?
Well he managed to finish 3rd in the regular season (although 22 games back of 1st) and then get bounced in the first round of the playoffs.
So I totally agree with fast dogs point above.

My very first season I had Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Greg Maddux, Roy Oswalt, Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, Odalis Perez, Wade Miller, Rob Nen, Isringhausen, Looper, plus Scott Williamson (became closer) on my team.
I called my starters "the magnificent seven plus 1'.
The year was 2002.
And I finished 4th.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:51 pm

galante22 wrote:Mock Draft Using This Stategy

c-mauer
1b-freeman
2b-pedroia
ss-reyes
3b-polanco
of-bourn
of-ichiro
of-gardner
u-jemile weeks
sp-felix hernandez
sp-gallardo
sp-zimmerman
sp-tim stauffer
sp-jeff niemann
rp-craig kimbrel
rp-john axford
rp-mariano rivera

this is basically what your team would look like. pretty safe to say youll win runs, sbs and average almost on a weekly basis. almost every hitter has a chance to hit .300 + besides probably gardner who should score over 90 runs and steal around 40. as for the pitching staff your closers should dominate and really carry the staff. id stockpile my bench with sps and switch the final 2 sps in and out based on matchups and 2 starts. felix, gallardo, zimmerman is a great 3 to start with and the closers will help tremendously in era and whip while almost guarenteeing saves weekly. id expect you to win most weeks at least 6-4 alot of 7-3 if your two starters grab a few wins or help with k's

Blah, I don't know..I'm less than impressed.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby skjelstrom » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Thought id give it a shot in a league this year. Just did the draft and oh mannnn.... Having a guy with the same strategy drafting right before you certainly doesn't help.... :-/
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 103)

Postby jazzmanljg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:00 am

I was curious about this last year so I tried it in three free public ESPN leagues (so the competition wasn't that strong) just to see how it would go. All three leagues went the exact same. I finished 2nd out of 10 teams in the regular season, made it to the championship game and lost to the regular season #1 team. It just takes one manager really drafting a great all around team and if his pitching is on in that last matchup, you're toast. I thought it was interesting that literally the EXACT same thing happened in all three leagues.
Thanks to soty for the great sig!
jazzmanljg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bayside » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:06 am

One of the biggest problems during the draft is that other guys will see you take 2-3 SP in a row, and then everyone will feel like they ned to draft one ASAP even if they were not originally planning to.
so the SP's you end up drafting are not better than other teams to the degree that you would expect based on the rounds you picked them.

galante22 wrote:Mock Draft Using This Stategy

c-mauer
1b-freeman
2b-pedroia
ss-reyes
3b-polanco
of-bourn
of-ichiro
of-gardner
u-jemile weeks
sp-felix hernandez
sp-gallardo
sp-zimmerman
sp-tim stauffer
sp-jeff niemann
rp-craig kimbrel
rp-john axford
rp-mariano rivera

that staff is really not very impressive. lots of teams put together similar pitching with much better offense.
and if you think ythat team will win R every week, you are mistaken. just becaseu a guy is fast and bats near the top of the lineup, does NOT mean hes going to rack up runs. Weeks and Ichiro are prime examples. Also Gardner never gets as many AB's as he should.

Like I've said before, the guys who score the most runs are the guys who get on base the most in good offenses. Lots of HR's also boosts runs scored. These guys generally happen to be sluggers... the type of hitter that you are intentionally trying to avoid with this strategy.
See how that could be a problem?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers