Punting HRs and RBIs, can it work? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punting HRs and RBIs, can it work?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NeedToWin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:06 pm

I've playing in a 12 team, H2H, 5x5 league and I was wondering if this strategy would make sense. I would stack my SPs by loading up early in the draft, drafting strong closers and then filling my hitters with runs and steals guys. So win the pitching and steals categories often and then sometimes getting some wins in runs and average. Can this strategy pay off or are the odds of a backfire too great? Has anyone ever tried this method? Any pointers?

Thanks!
NeedToWin
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Punting HRs and RBIs, can it work?

Postby Tavish » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Just about anything "can" work. It is how much risk goes along with a particular strategy. You could win with that strategy, but I would expect your odds to be somewhat lower.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Tavish wrote:Just about anything "can" work. It is how much risk goes along with a particular strategy. You could win with that strategy, but I would expect your odds to be somewhat lower.
Significantly lower.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby J35J » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:25 pm

A guy did this and posted about it last year....

Like the others have said though...sure it "can" work but not only do you probably have a lower liklihood of winning...how much fun could it be? I mean if you are in a big dollar money league then sure do whatever it takes to win but if you aren't then I'm going to draft a balanced team with guys I want to root for...I don't want to root for a team full of Jemile Weeks, Brett Gardners, Peter Bourjos's, Angel Pagan's, Emilio Bonificio's of the world...no thanks. I want to win and have fun doing it...that team wouldn't be fun. Not for me anyway.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby bayside » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:52 am

Punting HR and RBI is probably the worst 2 categories to punt offensively.
Guys that hit lots of HR and drive in lots of runs are naturally some of the games best hitters overall. And they generally hit in the middle of the lineup so they score lots of run themselves.
Think about how many .300+ leadoff type hitters you would have to draft in order to stack your SB, AVG, and Run cats enough to offsett your complete lack of power, and then think about how many guys in all of baseball even fit that criteria.

And thats not even the biggest problem.

Starting pitching fluctuates pretty wildly from year to year, due to both injuries and just plain ineffectiveness. There is no guarantee that your early round SP's end up being as productive as you think they will be. Look at Lincecum, Greinke, Wainwright, Price, Latos, Felix, Lester, Johnson, Ubaldo, Gallardo etc from last year to see what can happen. None of them even made it inside the top 15 at year's end (and only 2 were inside the top 20!) all were pretty universally ranked inside the top 20 to start the year.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fast dogs » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:36 am

I can see alot of 6-4 and 5-5 weeks, maybe slide into the last playoff spot or 2. Match up against the best teams in the playoffs and have little chance to beat the other good pitching teams with great offenses. It would be really tough to win the playoffs with that kind of roster, which is what its all about, right?
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby kab21 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:20 am

fast dogs wrote:I can see alot of 6-4 and 5-5 weeks, maybe slide into the last playoff spot or 2. Match up against the best teams in the playoffs and have little chance to beat the other good pitching teams with great offenses. It would be really tough to win the playoffs with that kind of roster, which is what its all about, right?

They are still going to match up very well against the other good pitching teams. You absolutely stack your staff with 7 of your first ten picks as pitchers. you want your staff to dominate because pitching is volatile. Kershaw, CC, Price, Lester, Garza, other solid guys and 5 closers should win 4-5 categories most weeks. It's just too strong to lose categories. C/1B/JWeeks/Aybar/Bonifacio/Ichiro/Crisp/Pagan/Pierre will win SB's almost every week. avg and runs will be competitive while there will be no chance in HR's and RBI's. I tried to find guys drafted in appropriate rds according to MDP but you can change the names and it still gives the same result.

But it's not how I want to win. I don't think it would be fun rooting for your lineup of singles hitters.

the draft
Ellsbury
Halladay/Kershaw (or Reyes if possible)
Felix/Lince/CC/Hamels
Haren/Price/Greinke
Lester/Gallardo/Cain
closer
Ichiro
starter like Garza/Beckett
closer
Aybar
closer
Weeks
closer
closer
Crisp
Bonifacio
Pagan
starter
starter
Pierre
starter
1B
C
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby bayside » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:12 pm

Last year in one of my h2h leagues we had a guy who managed to draft Verlander, Weaver, Hanson, Wainwright, Beckett, Marcum, Garza,
Rivera, Storen, Perez, and KRod. And he even had a decent offense as well.

Unbeatable staff on paper right?
Well he managed to finish 3rd in the regular season (although 22 games back of 1st) and then get bounced in the first round of the playoffs.
So I totally agree with fast dogs point above.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:19 pm

I've done this and had it work but it can certainly fail too. I'd rather put HR/RBI than AVG though, guys who hit for low average lose their jobs way too often and just kill your team too often.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby medium_robin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:44 pm

bayside wrote:Last year in one of my h2h leagues we had a guy who managed to draft Verlander, Weaver, Hanson, Wainwright, Beckett, Marcum, Garza,
Rivera, Storen, Perez, and KRod. And he even had a decent offense as well.

Unbeatable staff on paper right?
Well he managed to finish 3rd in the regular season (although 22 games back of 1st) and then get bounced in the first round of the playoffs.
So I totally agree with fast dogs point above.

I had this same thing happen to me. I had yahoo auto draft my H2H team and ended up with Halliday, Greinke, Felix, Verlander, Josh Johnson, Ian Kennedy, League, Storen, and Farnsworth on my staff. Had Stanton, Napoli, Holliday, Butler, Victorino, Chris Young and Mark Reynolds. Not speedsters but held their own on offense.

I struggled ALL season and squeaked into the playoffs. It was so frustrating. So many weeks i would lose lop-sided matchups. If my starters didnt get a W or my closers blew a save, i was sunk. In the playoffs, it was awesome. My team did really well.

I'd almost suggest to load up on offense during the regular season and trade bats for stud pitching during the playoff run.
medium_robin
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers