position scarcity/keepers question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

position scarcity/keepers question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

position scarcity/keepers question

Postby futurecubzplayer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 pm

How much should position scarcity play into keeping players? To me, I feel like if say an OF is projected to get better numbers than a SS, then shouldn't the OF kept? I'm sorry, but I have a difficult time trying to wrap my head around the whole position thing. If someone could explain their philosophy behind this, that would be great. Thanks!
futurecubzplayer
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: position scarcity/keepers question

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:18 pm

It really depends on the situation - the size of the league, roster positions, number of keepers, etc. If it is a shallow league or one where only a few players are kept, you should generally keep the best available player. When the depth of the league, number of starting positions, and number of keepers increase, tiebreakers go the scarcer positions.

In most instances, I keep the best players regardless of position, but again it depends on the makeup of your specific league.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Re: position scarcity/keepers question

Postby whoson1st0 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:06 am

I have definitely heard strong arguments on both sides of this. Personally I have tried both and I can't say one works better than the other. But going the position scarcity route carries inherit risk.

E.g. Say you feel SS is a week position so you choose Rollins higher than his stats say you should take him. If he gets hurt (Which he will lol), you now have to replace him with a mediocre to bad player and your advantage is now gone. Not that this can't happen at any position, but if you sacrifice a better overall player to reach for position scarcity, it increases this risk.

Anyway that's just one argument against it. I play in a points league where guys like Utley and Hram would alway go earlier due to position scarcity. But at the same time they were also studs, so you weren't reaching THAT far to get them.

For your situation where you are choosing keepers, I think it's alright to give some value to position scarcity. I mean stats are so volatile that in the end there may be no diff between an OFer valued at $20 and a SS valued at $15. In that case you might go with the SS. With all that said, don't let it drive you crazy. Do what YOU feel is in your best interest based on your league. I truly feel there is no right answer here.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions