appropriate roster size 18 team league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

appropriate roster size 18 team league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

appropriate roster size 18 team league?

Postby Whack » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:58 pm

I have seen some threads on the topic, however most are dealing with 8 to 12 team leagues…

I am commissioner of an 18 team league, H2H League… 25 man rosters, 2 DL slots, C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, IF, RF, CF, LF, OF, Util (2), SP(2), RP(2), P(3), BN(6)… (12 bat… 8 pitcher… 7 bench)
Batting (10): R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, TB, A, OBP Pitching (10): W, L, CG, SV, K, GIDP, HLD, ERA, K/9, QS
Minimum innings set at 35 per week.

This configuration makes the league very bat heavy… meaning that the free agent pool is completely devoid of any viable bats. Additionally, we have issues with streaming… basically some guys have figured out that unless they have a TOP ACE SP… that SP are disposable and a successful strategy is to hoard bats and just stream away with SP du jour.

To address this issue, we have proposed a weekly limit on player adds… we grudgingly agree to 5 moves per week.

My thoughts are that maybe a better solution than only a weekly cap on moves would be to additionally reduce the number of bat roster spots… I have proposed a 2 bat roster spot reduction giving us: an 18 team league, with 25 players rosters, 3 DL slots, C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, RF, CF, LF, Util (2), SP(2), RP(4), P(2), BN(7).

My goal is to balance the bats and pitcher and hopefully get guys to roster more pitchers…particularly SP. The thought here is that if guys don’t need to fill as many bat positions, then 1) they will carry more pitchers… thereby reducing the quality of pitchers available to stream and 2) we can possibly improve the free agent pool for bats.

I would appreciate your thoughts…

And is there any rule of thumb regarding roster size, roster positions relating to league size???

Thanks,

Whack
Whack
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: appropriate roster size 18 team league?

Postby Merlin401 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:25 pm

Whack wrote:Pitching (10): W, L, CG, SV, K, GIDP, HLD, ERA, K/9, QS

There's your problem right there... those categories literally SCREAM "please design your team to stream". Not to mention by having a crazy high Innings limits, you force everyone to go with high volume rotations. Why not just make it 10 IP and give people some freedom to design different types of strategies?
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Talos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Merlin401 wrote:

There's your problem right there... those categories literally SCREAM "please design your team to stream". Not to mention by having a crazy high Innings limits, you force everyone to go with high volume rotations. Why not just make it 10 IP and give people some freedom to design different types of strategies?

What does "team to stream" mean?
Talos
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 am

Whack wrote:I have seen some threads on the topic, however most are dealing with 8 to 12 team leagues…

I am commissioner of an 18 team league, H2H League… 25 man rosters, 2 DL slots, C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, IF, RF, CF, LF, OF, Util (2), SP(2), RP(2), P(3), BN(6)… (12 bat… 8 pitcher… 7 bench)
Batting (10): R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, TB, A, OBP Pitching (10): W, L, CG, SV, K, GIDP, HLD, ERA, K/9, QS
Minimum innings set at 35 per week.

This configuration makes the league very bat heavy… meaning that the free agent pool is completely devoid of any viable bats. Additionally, we have issues with streaming… basically some guys have figured out that unless they have a TOP ACE SP… that SP are disposable and a successful strategy is to hoard bats and just stream away with SP du jour.

The original Fantasy Rules had 14 hitters and 9 pitchers. Having more hitters is pretty standard since in real baseball a team has 8 starting batters and 5 starting pitchers. == This year I formed a 16 team league for the first time. I have 12 hitters, 8 pitchers and 4 bench. I did't just make those numbers up. My batters are C, 1b, 2b, 3b, ss, ci, mf, ut, 4 of, 4 bench (assuming 2 hitters and 2 pitchers). == There are 16 fantasy teams carrying 10 pitchers (assuming 8 starters and 2 closers). 16 X 8 = 128. 30 mlb teams X 5 starters = 150. There are enough to go around. If I had 9 starters per fantasy team, it would be 144 starters. That is making the FA pool too thin. You need to do the same math on your league and find out what is best. Do the same for the hitters. == To eliminate steaming put a 12 start maxium per week.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby jitter12 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:59 am

Merlin401 wrote:

I agree whole heartedly. 8 counting stat categories to 2 consistency categories (ERA, K/9) pushes a shrewd manager to get as many players playing as possible to rack up the counting stats, with ERA and K/9 not even a factor. I would consider losing CG in favor of WHIP at least.

Another option would be to go to a weekly lineup in lieu of daily lineup. This would force Owners to pick their team for the week instead of daily changes. They would still stream based on lineups, but consistent pitching would be less expendable, as you would be more able to count on them accumulating stats through the week.
jitter12
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:49 pm

forget min IP and go w max starts per week. that will solve your question of how to stop streaming

and i agree to deleting the extra IF and OF spots. 3 OF spots and only 1 of each IF spot is fine for a big league.

also, i would tone it down to 5X5 or 6X6 if you want to have holds. the original design is more than not the best
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner