CBS vs. Fantrax? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

CBS vs. Fantrax?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CBS vs. Fantrax?

Postby ELsolly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:30 am

I am a commish in a keeper (non auction) league that has used CBS for the past three years. I am not thrilled with some features of CBS and common mistakes such as random player postions. Additionally it is very costly compared to some other sites. I came across 'fantrax' which seems very customize-able but lacks the look of CBS.

Does anyone have experience with fantrax (specially the live scoring) and whether it's worth switching over?

Thank in advanced for your help.
ELsolly
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: CBS vs. Fantrax?

Postby bigmck » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:22 am

ELsolly wrote:I am a commish in a keeper (non auction) league that has used CBS for the past three years. I am not thrilled with some features of CBS and common mistakes such as random player postions. Additionally it is very costly compared to some other sites. I came across 'fantrax' which seems very customize-able but lacks the look of CBS.

Does anyone have experience with fantrax (specially the live scoring) and whether it's worth switching over?

Thank in advanced for your help.

If you don't need to keep track of salaries, ESPN has what you need. I use CBS for my Salary League, but ESPN gets all of the others. It is free. Check it out.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby broomulack » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:08 pm

I am leaving CBS this year after nearly 20 years there for the reasons you point to. Plus, I use salaries and FAAB and CBS, despite being expensive and STILL showing all sorts of ads even with the fee, just refuses to improve their functionality. It looks nice, and that's about it.

I considered Fantrax for my league and was thisclose to doing it but found OnRoto instead because it handles FAAB and salaries exactly as I need it handled. But I did run a test league on there at the end of last year and it works very well. It's not as pretty as CBS but it's very functional and I think the free version of it does what most leagues are going to need. You'll get used to the different functionality very quickly.

Or as the above poster noted, ESPN is free. If it's a roto league, it's a great spot. For h2h, the schedules aren't nearly customizable enough so I'd avoid for a h2h league.

GOod luck!
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:35 pm

broomulack wrote:
Or as the above poster noted, ESPN is free. If it's a roto league, it's a great spot. For h2h, the schedules aren't nearly customizable enough so I'd avoid for a h2h league.

GOod luck!

As far as H2H on ESPN, you can put in your own schedule anyway you want it. You can't get more Customizable than that.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby broomulack » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:03 am

bigmck wrote:
broomulack wrote:

GOod luck!

As far as H2H on ESPN, you can put in your own schedule anyway you want it. You can't get more Customizable than that.

Not entirely true my friend. ESPN won't let you use the last week under any circumstances, and the site assigns a playoff system based on your settings. You can adjust your settings to adjust the schedule, but you cannot simply adjust the schedule.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:57 am

broomulack wrote:Not entirely true my friend. ESPN won't let you use the last week under any circumstances, and the site assigns a playoff system based on your settings. You can adjust your settings to adjust the schedule, but you cannot simply adjust the schedule.

You can adjust the schedule. I did that for two leagues this year. I went in week by week and put the matchups that I wanted. Go into "LM Tools" and you will see "Edit Head-to-Head Schedule". You can input any matchups that you want.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby broomulack » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:14 am

bigmck wrote:
broomulack wrote:Not entirely true my friend. ESPN won't let you use the last week under any circumstances, and the site assigns a playoff system based on your settings. You can adjust your settings to adjust the schedule, but you cannot simply adjust the schedule.

You can adjust the schedule. I did that for two leagues this year. I went in week by week and put the matchups that I wanted. Go into "LM Tools" and you will see "Edit Head-to-Head Schedule". You can input any matchups that you want.

Yes, that is true, but I wasn't referring to the matchups themselves. I am referring to the scheduling of the games. If your league uses the final week, you won't be able to use espn.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:28 pm

broomulack wrote:Yes, that is true, but I wasn't referring to the matchups themselves. I am referring to the scheduling of the games. If your league uses the final week, you won't be able to use espn.

Our Championship Game is in ESPN's final week which covers Sept 24 to Oct 3. That is the end of baseball's regular season. Anything else?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby broomulack » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:35 am

bigmck wrote:
broomulack wrote:Yes, that is true, but I wasn't referring to the matchups themselves. I am referring to the scheduling of the games. If your league uses the final week, you won't be able to use espn.

Our Championship Game is in ESPN's final week which covers Sept 24 to Oct 3. That is the end of baseball's regular season. Anything else?

Yes, one more thing: thanks for being an asshole. Furthermore, I am only given 24 weeks with which to work with, including playoffs. No matter what I do, I am unable to go beyond week 24. If I select 24 regular season weeks, I get no playoff options.

Instead of ridiculing me, how about you EXPLAIN to me how you managed to use the final week? Or is that stooping too low for a baseball genius like you?
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:47 am

Be nice == There are 26 weeks in the MLB season. ESPN's "weeks" are not always seven days. The All-Star week is is the four days they play plus the next week on ESPN. The same thing is true of the last week. It is a 10 day week. ESPN just divides the season 24 ways and MLB divides it 26 ways, but they both cover the whole season.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner