In a 10 team h2h normal yahoo league closer question.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

In a 10 team h2h normal yahoo league closer question....

In a 10 team h2h normal yahoo league closer question....

Postby Yabbydoo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:17 pm

should I carry 2 closers or 3 closers im not sure how many I need
Yabbydoo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: In a 10 team h2h normal yahoo league closer question....

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Carry as many as you feel like drafting. :-D It really depends on who they are more than anything else. If you have two solid guys with secure jobs then that's fine. If you're drafting from the bottom of the barrel you need to carry more guys since some of them won't work out. In a 10 team league there will always be solid starters on the wire, so I'd probably err on the side of more closers rather than less coming out of the draft. So maybe three, with a list of watch candidates set as well so you can swoop in a grab guys when they break out.

Also, because we're talking hth, you also need to consider whether you might be punting that category (i.e. not even attempting to be competitive) or possibly even setting it as a real strength for your team. If you want to win saves every week then you'll probably need 3 or even 4 guys. My personal preference for hth is to carry more relief guys than normal, but there's endless ways to build a team.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby oscarsf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:09 pm

What are your scoring categories and roster positions? It makes a big difference. In our league, we are required to start five SP, three RP and three P. Our scoring categories are Quality Starts, Strikeouts, WHIP, ERA, Saves, and Holds. The optimal pitching staff in our league is five starters, three closers and three setup men but - given that it's a 16-team league - there are always teams that have to get creative and start more setup men or starters to compensate for the lack of closers.
oscarsf
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikekim2121 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12 am

In a standard league, 3 is your best bet. 4 is probably overkill and 2 is risky unless you have 2 elite RP, and even then its a little risky
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby chump dumper » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:47 am

I'm a little different in strategy......and I've won my league 3 years going.....

I carry two closers and two mid relievers, like Venters (Atl.) and Robertson (NYY).....and I play all four instead of playing more starters.

If you have a good SP staff, you'll get the wins, era, whip,etc.......guys like mid relievers help lower the era and whip, get strikes, etc to help in each category.
chump dumper
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:23 pm

That works up to a point, but it's iffy if more than one other guy has the same idea. There really aren't that many MRs who really rack up wins and Ks with great % peripherals. Sure, if you draft Venters and Clippard (or Robertson) you look like a genius, but when the talent pool gets a little slimmer it's not quite so fantastic. If no one else is really following your lead then it'll work pretty much every year and the discount you get on your pitching staff means you should have enough offensive juice to win most weeks. It's great for public leagues and fun office pools, but when you're playing with top-tier guys those quality MRs get harder to come by, since those guys know exactly how good a couple of top-drawer MRs look compared to one mediocre starter.

Not that the strategy won't work in more competitive leagues, because it can, it's just a little harder to execute on draft day and you need to make sure you have the MR ranks down pat.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mixmastamikal » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:23 pm

I am a little different but I spend a little more time doing research/analyzing matchups than most. I like to have about 4 or 5 closers, 1 or 2 really good rp's that strike out a lot of people (Clippard/Jansen). Then 2-3 top tier pitchers (Halladay, verlander, lincecum). Then i will just leave one bench spot as a streaming spot and just pick up and drop Starting pitchers based on matchups/categories that i am lacking in that week.

*Note this method is not for the feint of heart
Streamers

**Coming Soon**
mixmastamikal
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 13)

Return to Beginner's Forum