Who is more overrated? Blalock or Ensberg? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is more overrated? Blalock or Ensberg?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DaTuna » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:51 pm

I ask this question becuase I own both, and I am wondering which one I should look to trade. Most would agree with me that Blalock will put better #'s, but Ensberg will be a very solid starting @ 3B. Is one of them particuraly overrated or underrated? Who should I keep, and who should I trade?
DaTuna
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Keep both

Postby Ry-Guy » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:56 pm

I'd keep both for now and see how they start off. Both will be prone to slumps because they want to be power hitters. Blalock struggles against lefties and Ensberg doesn't have the confidence of Jimmi Williams. Watch them both closely then trade whoever you like the least.

I project Blalock for .290/32 HRs/101 RBI
And for Ensberg .280/29 HRs/ 90 RBI
Check out www.hardcorefantasybaseball.com
Ry-Guy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bleach168 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:59 pm

Yeah, both are overrated. Rotoworld ranks Blalock as the #1 3b, tied with Rolen! hahaha...

Anyways, since most people don't pay attention to that trash, I would say Ensberg is probably more overrated though. So I would trade him.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby jbuk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:02 pm

With the current questions about Ensberg, I'd try and see if you can get something decent for him from someone who still likes him.
jbuk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:46 pm

I think Blalock is still underrated after his performanace last year. He is no fluke according to several respectable sources, and the Texas park can't hurt :-D

If anything, Ensberg may be a tad overrated but he should be good to go.

Keeping with third baseman, I think Aramis and Dmitri Young (he's got 3B on Yahoo) are underrated.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby doc watson » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:51 pm

Until Jimmy Williams proves that he's going to play Ensberg everyday, I'd say Ensberg is more inflated.

Showalter has already come out and said that Blalock will hit against lefties this year (something he didn't often do last year).

Mike Lamb's signing with the Stros coupled with Williams' seemingly distrust of Ensberg worries me...
doc watson
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:34 pm

I think Blalock is still underrated after his performanace last year. He is no fluke according to several respectable sources, and the Texas park can't hurt

Agreed, most casual fantasy players will rate guys like Lowell and Glaus over Blalock, but in my opinion, he has a chance to be every bit as good as Rolen and Chavez.

To that end, I think he's still pretty drastically underrated.

In fact, aside from SBs I'd be surprised if there was a significant difference between the production of Chavez and Blalock, Blalock may even end up with better numbers (Neither can hit lefties though).

Ensberg is underrated by the casual fan, but overrated by many around these parts. I'd wait to see if Ensberg started hot, unless you can find someone who thinks he's already a top 6 3B (some here in the Cafe). I'd keep Blalock for sure.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby RynMan » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:16 pm

The Jury wrote:I think Blalock is still underrated after his performanace last year. He is no fluke according to several respectable sources, and the Texas park can't hurt :-D

If anything, Ensberg may be a tad overrated but he should be good to go.

Keeping with third baseman, I think Aramis and Dmitri Young (he's got 3B on Yahoo) are underrated.

yeah young is underrated so bad as a third basemen!!! and they guy will put up better numbers THIS year with some protection.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:30 pm

I had Blalock pretty early last year...when he was BENCHED against lefties. Perhaps the practice did him well but he's .209 vs lefties (only 3 HR!!) and .329 vs. righties!! There's a few guys I noted that sort of imbalance on (Chavez, Nomar on the road last year...) and kind of steered clear of or downgraded. I have Dmitri Young and Ensberg.

Everything I've read in the big sort of sources (ESPN/ Yahoo/ Sportsline) suggests that Ensberg will be fine but there seems to be a sizeable consensus here that he's doomed by the wierd conflict w/ Williams.

It seems though that when the Astros were in the hunt last year, he faded in July and then did better at the end of the year. 'Only' 127 games though. That is kind of odd.

He hit BETTER when he played spottier, 72 G, 199 AB, .312 and 17 HR Pre Allstar and almost identical AB-186- in only 55 games after the break, posting .269 w/ 8 HR. His OPS, FWIW, was 1.019 pre break and dropped to .771 afterwards. Odd that he kind of fizzled playing more 'complete games'. I am glad to have him on my bench though, there's a few teams weak at 3B if he takes off a bit!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:47 pm

I'd trade Ensberg. Just not big on him for this year.

Blalock is the better keeper of the two. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers