Baseball Monster and stat questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Baseball Monster and stat questions

Baseball Monster and stat questions

Postby bujfan2030 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:07 am

I'm in a couple of nonstandard leagues and using Baseball Monster to see where players ended up ranked last season. A lot of relief pitchers show up in the top 100.(both leagues use k/9, holds, saves) Most experts say you shouldn't pay for saves. Shouldn't BBM take into account the number of innings pitched when assigning value to these guys? Where would you split the difference on where a RP is ranked and where he should be drafted.

Also one of my leagues is 6 hitting cats 7 pitching cats(W, QS, ERA, WHIP, K/9, Saves, Holds) Does this make pitchers more or less valuable?
bujfan2030
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Baseball Monster and stat questions

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Well, I guess it depends on how their calculating K/9. If it's the straight ratio and not pro-rated for innings then middle relievers and closers are going to look really good (as BBM suggests). My whole strategy when it comes to RPs is to avoid paying for the top tier of guys. There's a low correllation between preseason ADP and end of season rank for closers, so the vlaue for the high-end guys is generally low. I'd much rather stock up on lower tier guys and keep whichever of them pan out.

Those 7 pitching cats there do make pitchers more valuable for scoring - especially the high end guys, who will often dominate the first 5 of those 7. On the other hand you get a deeper pool to pick from since MRs are actually useful for 4 of those cats. Personally, I think I'd draft stars and scrubs for those settings. Grab some solid starters and then fill out the rotation with low cost MRs and vulture save candidates. That should keep you very solid in 6 of those 7, with the possibility of a breakout closer or two as well if you draft the right guys. Obviously you need to take what the draft gives you too, but that would be my general plan heading in.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Beginner's Forum