How's this pitching staff??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

How's this pitching staff???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How's this pitching staff???

Postby ryguy79 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:43 pm

First time doing fantasy. My line up is good but not sure about my pitching. What do you guys think. Who should I drop or try and pick up?

Jason Schmidt
Roy Oswalt
J. Beckett
Russ Ortiz
Jose Contreas
Isrunghausen
Billy Wagner
B. Arroyo
ryguy79

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ryguy79 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:40 pm

I dropped Arroyo and need another starter. Here's some that are avalible.

L. Hernández (Mon - SP)
W. Williams (StL - SP)
M. Clement (ChC - SP)
V. Padilla (Phi - SP)
S. Ponson (Bal - SP)
M. Redman (Oak - SP)
T. Wakefield
D. Wells (SD - SP)
C. Sabathia (Cle - SP)
O. Pérez (LA - SP)
K. Wells
A. Leiter (NYM - SP)
S. Trachsel (NYM - SP)
M. Buehrle (CWS - SP)
K. Escobar (Ana - SP,RP)
F. García (Sea - SP)
B. Sheets (Mil - SP)
K. Lohse (Min - SP)
B. Penny (Fla - SP)
J. Washburn (Ana - SP)
D. Willis (Fla - SP)
J. Peavy (SD - SP)
T. Lilly (Tor - SP)
M. Batista (Tor - SP,RP)
B. Radke (Min - SP)
ryguy79

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:16 pm

I think your best bets out of those are Matt Clement, Freddy Garcia, and Jake Peavy. These are proven guys that will get you some good numbers. However the pitcher with the most potential to give you the best season is Dontrelle Willis. This guy could crack the top 25 starting pitchers..but as we all know was not as good later in the season. If he shows signs that he is back to his All-Star form and dominance take him. But personally I don't think he will. I would pick up Garcia or Clement. Also as a reminder Odalis Perez has some nasty stuff (almost threw a perfect game two years ago) and just might get hot during the season so keep your eye on him.

Postby Entropy! » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:48 pm

As is, it's a hell of a staff. I'd say that your offense must be a little average, although you claim you're not worried about it, so I dunno... how many teams are in your league? Anyway.

As is, your staff has some injury risks to it (Schmidt, Oswalt, Beckett, Contreras, Izzy). If all of those guys stay healthy, you'll be fine. I don't really trust Russ Ortiz all that much - he had a ton of wins last year, but the rest of his numbers were nothing special. If you really want to pick up a starter, then I'd look at Lohse, Washburn, Clement, O. Perez, and J. Peavy - probably in that order. I disagree with the above poster about Dontrelle Willis - he hasn't proven enough yet for me to rank him that high. There is no shortage of players who come out of nowhere, dazzle the league for a few months, then crash and burn. Until they do it again, he's not worth nearly as much as some people think.

Frankly, I'd skip on getting a new starter (unless you are upgrading from Ortiz) and focus on upgrading your RP's. Try to deal Izzy for a better closer, then take a flier on one of the closers still in the FA pool. If all those pitchers that you listed are still available in your league, then I'm sure you can find some closers too. Matt Herges and Curt Leskanic will both be the closers to start the season, and especially with Leskanic, there's a good chance they'll stay the closer for a while.

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
"Whats so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?"

Don't elect Bush president... again!
Entropy!
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:08 pm

Thanks for the help. Schmidt is hurt so I'm not sure how long he'll be out. So I'm losing a starter there and still have a few open spots in my roster for some relievers.
ryguy79

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team