4 sport dynasty league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

4 sport dynasty league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

4 sport dynasty league

Postby HugoBrasky » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:21 pm

I would like to start a 4 sport fantasy dynasty league. There would be fantasy football, basketball, baseball, and hockey, 4 separate leagues, payouts for each league champ, runner-up, and extra payout for overall champ, and runner-up. Now here's the big twist, there would be 1 single draft that would combined all players from all the 4 different sports (ex. L. James goes #1 overall, A. Rodgers goes #2, A. Ovechkin goes #3 overall, etc). Also inter-sport trading would be allowed. Obviously there is no website or software (that I am aware of) that can do this so it would have to be an offline draft and the commish would have to load in the rosters manually at the start of each respective season in the first year and then would be able to roll over as a keeper league the next year.

One huge problem here is when to do the draft, as there is always at least one sport in season. After putting some thought into this I think that the best time to do the draft is soon after the NFL draft. We would miss the beginning of the baseball season, but I figured that football has the biggest impact from rookies and the baseball season is long enough where missing a little bit of the season wouldn't be a huge deal. Haven't yet decided on how to score overall rankings. A point based system? Average finish in all leagues?

Let me know what you guys think of this. Any ideas/suggestions are more than welcome.

here's a link to a google doc. where I've been trying to organize rules/scoring and such. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqTC53hjkkv_dFM0eU1QY1BQTnBtZ1hCeHJiUG51Y1E
HugoBrasky
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 4 sport dynasty league

Postby bobnerns » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:24 am

I've been talking to a few friends about this idea for over a year. I wish I knew someone who was good at coding because I'd love to set up a website for exactly this.

If you want to do an auction league (which I would personally prefer), you wouldn't necessarily need an all-in-one draft, thus allowing you to draft before each individual season. After the first season, I think things would run smoothly. The problem with the first season would be inter-sport trading.

The biggest difficulty with setting one of these up is normalizing every sport. You would want the top player in each sport to be theoretically equal with one another. I haven't put in enough time or thought behind this yet, so I don't have any great ideas. Points leagues should be the easiest, but I'm not sure. How does a home run compare to a touchdown or a rebound?

Good luck with this concept. Let me know if you actually set anything up.
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HugoBrasky » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:18 pm

I regards to your idea for an auction draft, would you do one overall budget? So if you use $200 in a baseball draft you subtract that from whatever the total is. I prefer auctions draft to snake draft for many reasons, one of the biggest things I like about a 4 sport dynasty league is having one draft with all players. I think it would be really fun to work out a strategy of when to draft a player not only based on his position, but also sport and longevity of his sport/position. However if you did an auction like you said with a total bank roll (say $1000) and had 4 separate drafts it wouldn't matter as much to have an all in one draft. If doing an all in one draft (which I prefer), I think an auction would take too long, and luck of the draw in terms of when you pick aren't as big of a deal with 4 sports combined.

In terms of normalizing ever sport, I think it would be too hard. Even if you designed a scoring system which the top players in each sport were equal players some players will be more valuable than others in the draft based on the sport/position they play. Or are you tying to set something up where you would do a point total that goes all year round and the team with the most points wins? My idea was after the draft you setup 4 different leagues and based on how you finish in each league you get X amount of points and that point total would determine your overall ranking.
HugoBrasky
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bobnerns » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:48 pm

For auction draft budget, it would have to be based on number of players in each sport. Most baseball leagues have around 22 starting players and 3 bench spots. Basketball, football and hockey have around 10 starters. So if you want to do your idea of how you finish in each of the 4 leagues determines your overall spot, then the top basketball guy should go for much more than the top baseball guy (LeBron for $75) since their impact is much higher on a team than the top baseball player (Pujols for $40). If you go with overall points where everything is normalized, you could normalize the prices as well to make LeBron James and Albert Pujols roughly the same. With this idea, baseball budgets would be higher than the budgets for the rest of the sports. My preference to this is for trades. In the first scenario, LeBron James would be roughly worth the top baseball player and around the 15th best baseball player. With normalizing, LeBron for Pujols straight up would work.

Either way, a lot of work would need to be done to correctly compare all of the sports' players.
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner