Need help to close the skill-gap in keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need help to close the skill-gap in keeper league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need help to close the skill-gap in keeper league

Postby LARS929 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 pm

I an the commish in a 10 team keeper league heading into year four. We keep 8 players and have no restrictions on keeper length. The only rule is that each team must keep one player who is under 25 years old.

We have the problem that two teams, mine and one other are completely loaded with the best players in the league. Among the two of us we have Cabrera, Pujols, Tulo, Bautista, Cano, Kemp, Votto, Longoria, HanRam and J. Upton, all arguable first rounders. Then add in Lincecum, Teixeira, Bruce, Strassburg and Lester and our teams are STACKED.

In the three seasons we've both finished 1-2 in the regular season and 1-2 in the playoffs. All of our trades were legit and fair, they just worked out VERY well for us.

There are also a few teams that have next to no good keepers, they are keeping guys like Choo, Ike Davis, or Bourjos...It's simply not fair.

I am searching for some way to even out the league and bring everyone closer to an even playing field. It's fun winning, but there is no competition at this point.

Has anyone had this happen before? What did you do?

My one idea was, after this season, limit everyone to 2 keepers. Then have the draft order be based on the order of finish. So the winner gets the best pick and on down. This would reward the strong teams, prevent tanking, but still bring the skill gap much, much closer. Then go back up to 8 after that.

I do not want a full re-draft, I want to keep some players, I just need some ideas from people who may have had this happen.
LARS929
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need help to close the skill-gap in keeper league

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Expand the league. 10 teams is pretty thin anyway. Add 2-4 new teams, and let the original 10 only protect, say, 3 hitters and a pitcher. Your 2 world-beater teams are going to lose the most talent as they won't be able to protect all their studs, the expansion teams start with some decent players, there's more competition because there are more managers, boom, everyone wins. Except the top 2 teams, but that's what you're trying to avoid, right?
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 66)

Postby LARS929 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:24 pm

The problem with that is I don't have two people who want to join the league. I run two leagues and there already is some overlap. I like to keep it friends or friends of friends.
LARS929
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 am

The unlimited keeper system is what is killing you... it can easily lead to your problem. Use salaries with a cap, or forfeit draft picks, or something else to mitigate it.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby TopChuckie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Put a limit of 3 years on keepers. It's not good for any league to never have the best players in the draft. You guys must be having the most boring drafts ever.
TopChuckie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:46 pm

I an the commish in a 10 team keeper league heading into year four. We keep 8 players and have no restrictions on keeper length. The only rule is that each team must keep one player who is under 25 years old.
==========================

As others said , the no limit on keeping players is the problem. == About three years ago our league went through something similiar. We are an Auction League with contracts and our salaries go up the longer we have the player. The problem was that the escalation was not fast enough and teams were keeping players too long, same as your league. We had the new escalation go into effect with the coming season. It made a huged difference with the players available at the Auction. -- I would suggest for you to reduce the Keepers for 2012 to five players and make those five be in their third (and final) year of their contract so they have to be dropped in 2013. You can go back to eight keepers for 2013. Anyone you keep on your team that you drafted in 2012 would be in their second year of the contract for 2013. This will make an immediate impact on the league and give the guys who were finishing at the bottom more of a chance this year.

Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Fantasia » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:15 pm

As was said, the no restrictions on keeper length is a killer. Three year limit is good. Our auction (based on original Rotisserie rules) let's you keep a player at the same price for three years. Prior to the begining of the third year you have the option of keeping him ONLY for the upcoming year at the same salary, or keep him for as long as you want, BUT you have to state how many years you want him, and each year adds $5 to his CURRENT SALARY, and that new salary stays with him until the contract runs out.
EX: 2010 auction you got Starlin Castro for $1. Before the auction this year you can either keep him for $1 and lose him at the end of the year, oradd $5 for each year you want to keep him. If you want him through 2013, his salary for 12 and 13 is $6, 2014: salary for 12-13-14 $11, etc. when the contract ends, the pplayer goes back into the pool. This helps keep a decent pool of available players for the auction each year.
Fantasia
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GRIN » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Our keeper league has no minimum number of keepers, only a maximum. You can choose to keep less. Then you'd have more draft spots up front to fill before the stronger, more keeper-filled, teams draft. It helps with competitive balance.
I guess it's similar to Bloody Sox's comment about forfeiting draft picks.
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 19)

Postby LARS929 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:46 pm

I like all the help I've gotten here, a lot of what I am hearing is accurate about how the way the league was set up it was bound to happen. Switching to some sort of auction wouldn't work at this point, nor would adding limits really right now without a full reset, which is what we want to avoid.

I put a vote to the league what they wanted to do, and mind you, I am one of the strong teams so I in theory would be one who wouldn't want change. But the vote turned out that the league likes how it is, but they want to lower keepers for one season. So in 2013 we will cut down to 4 keepers, then go back to 8 in 2014. This will bring everyone closer, but still give merit to those who have the best keepers. I pushed to cut down to 2 keepers for a year, but it was shot down saying that took away the keeper aspect too much.
LARS929
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fast dogs » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:43 pm

we use a reverse order of draft for the first 4 rounds, guy who wins picks last for each of the first rounds. Then we trade draft picks so the owners of weaker players can trade a draft pick for a better keeper. It has really helped even out the league and gives everyone a chance to start with a decent squad. Trading draft picks seemed unnecessary when I started playing in keepers, now it is the greatest tool ever invented to help weak owners start from a better spot. It isn't a cure-all, and we don't have anyones roster so lopsided as your 2 right now. Even with draft pick trading and reverse-order drafting, the smartest owners are still the 1's to pick up on who is going to emerge as a keeper the earliest.The best owners still outwork and out trade the others,some leagues penalize the top owners by giving them fewer keepers than the rest, tho thats something I've never done
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner