Auction strategy for pitching??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Auction strategy for pitching???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction strategy for pitching???

Postby manmagoonbt » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Hello

I am in a 15 team roto auction league. We have a $260 budget. The starting line up comes out of the budget and the bench is a serpentine draft.
The whole starting line up looks like this:

C C 1B 2B 3B SS CI MI OF OF OF OF OF UTIL P P P P P P P RP RP

We start 9 pitchers but 2 of them have to be relievers. I get to keep Adam Wainwright this year for $1.

What I am wondering is what amount of $260 would you put towards the other 8 spots?

If possible break down what amount you would target in each spot.

Thanks for the help. I will help in return if you leave a link,

Have a great weekend
manmagoonbt
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction strategy for pitching???

Postby jbird669 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:06 pm

This is what I do. I essentially spend for a top starter and reliver and fill the gaps with high K-rate guys. Most of my other owners spend $100 on pitching; I got between *80-90. We have keepers so there is inflation I normally do this:

SP $25
CL $25
P $10
P $5
P $5
P $5
P $3
P $1
P $1

Now bear in mind this is a budget, I adjust as the auction goes. One thing to bear in mind: I have an in-season cap; our action values carry over into the season. YMMV.
Help me? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=439372
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby MaudDib » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:35 pm

jbird669 wrote:This is what I do. I essentially spend for a top starter and reliver and fill the gaps with high K-rate guys. Most of my other owners spend $100 on pitching; I got between *80-90. We have keepers so there is inflation I normally do this:

SP $25
CL $25
P $10
P $5
P $5
P $5
P $3
P $1
P $1

Now bear in mind this is a budget, I adjust as the auction goes. One thing to bear in mind: I have an in-season cap; our action values carry over into the season. YMMV.

This looks ok to me. So much depends on how the draft goes though. If the stud SP are going cheaper than they should, I would load up on them and get a bunch of $1 pitchers to fill in. Where as if the studs are going for too much then sit back and pick up the mid-tier guys for cheap.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby wilhouse » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:39 pm

I like to use the stars and scrub approach. send big on a good star starter and closer and then $1-3 my way to fill in the rest of the lineup.
I dont ask many questions but if you like to WHIR me, Become a fan of my facebook fan page. http://on.fb.me/yIu2sv Fantasy Sport Edge on facebook.

http://fantasysportedge.com - source for all your nfl and mlb fantasy news.
wilhouse
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby etex211 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:03 pm

Remember, every pitcher in the league is always just one pitch away from being out for a year. Never devote too much of your budget to these guys.

$100 as the absolute top limit sounds reasonable to me, and I'd aim for it to be a lot less, maybe $70-$80.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 28)

Postby MadDog36 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 pm

50/60 get 1 quality starter for cheap, 2 good but affordable closers top MRP for minimum investment and fill the rest with rebound starters on the cheap (like Wainwright)
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1998)

Postby Element » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:04 am

MaudDib wrote:
jbird669 wrote:This is what I do. I essentially spend for a top starter and reliver and fill the gaps with high K-rate guys. Most of my other owners spend $100 on pitching; I got between *80-90. We have keepers so there is inflation I normally do this:

SP $25
CL $25
P $10
P $5
P $5
P $5
P $3
P $1
P $1

This looks ok to me. So much depends on how the draft goes though. If the stud SP are going cheaper than they should, I would load up on them and get a bunch of $1 pitchers to fill in. Where as if the studs are going for too much then sit back and pick up the mid-tier guys for cheap.

This. You never want to be dead set on a strategy heading into an auction. It all depends on the flow. You need to be flexible on the fly. With deeper starting rosters like this, going for the studs and scrubs approach isn't usually favorable. I am usually more inclined to spending big on offense and get 2-3 $10-15 starters and fill it out with the value form there on out. Pitching is deep.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions