any help is greatly appreciated
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: SP Help?

Postby mpieco » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:32 am

I love Sanchez.

All the important numbers have been trending in the right direction for his last 3-4 years, and he now finds himself in the AL Central which I think is going to be a good division to pitch in (liking Ubaldo Jimenez for a "bounceback" year too).

The only other name I'd consider on that list is Stauffer, and that's because he usually has a stellar WHIP, which Sanchez can sometimes struggle maintaining. I really think Sanchez puts it all together this year.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:40 pm

mpieco wrote:All the important numbers have been trending in the right direction for his last 3-4 years

K/9
9.75 (2009)
9.54 (2010)
9.06 (2011)

BB/9
4.85 (2009)
4.47 (2010)
5.86 (2011)

Fastball velocity
91.7 (2009)
90.6 (2010)
89.9 (2011)

What are all these important numbers that are trending in the right direction. Other than a small increase in GB% each year, I don't see it.

As for the original question I like Dickey or Stauffer the most out of that group. While they don't strikeout a ton of guys and they play for pretty cruddy offenses, their ratios should be decent and you have some high K/9 guys on your team already to pick up the slack.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby wilhouse » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:46 pm

I own Dickey and started him most of last year. His k/9 ratio was big if I remember correctly. Go with Dickey.
I dont ask many questions but if you like to WHIR me, Become a fan of my facebook fan page. http://on.fb.me/yIu2sv Fantasy Sport Edge on facebook.

http://fantasysportedge.com - source for all your nfl and mlb fantasy news.
wilhouse
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MaudDib » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Give me Jackson out of that group. I don't love him but he has the most upside and that is what you should be looking for. He is still in the NL on a team that should give him good amount of wins and he is on a one year deal. That one year deal could be the biggest plus as he didn't get the long term deal he wanted and will try and prove to teams that he is worth investing in.

The other guys all look like WW fodder to me. There either has to be better options or I would draft a different position.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:51 pm

MaudDib wrote:Give me Jackson out of that group. I don't love him but he has the most upside and that is what you should be looking for. He is still in the NL on a team that should give him good amount of wins and he is on a one year deal. That one year deal could be the biggest plus as he didn't get the long term deal he wanted and will try and prove to teams that he is worth investing in.

The other guys all look like WW fodder to me. There either has to be better options or I would draft a different position.

+1

Jackson could end up becoming a very good pitcher. He has very good control. He used to have a very good K rate. And he has a good GB%. If he can maintain his gains in control and bring that K rate up a bit, while maintaining his current GB%, he could be great. At the very least, a SP who is reliable and won't kill you in ERA/WHIP.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Element » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:
MaudDib wrote:Give me Jackson out of that group. I don't love him but he has the most upside and that is what you should be looking for. He is still in the NL on a team that should give him good amount of wins and he is on a one year deal. That one year deal could be the biggest plus as he didn't get the long term deal he wanted and will try and prove to teams that he is worth investing in.

+1

Jackson could end up becoming a very good pitcher. He has very good control. He used to have a very good K rate. And he has a good GB%. If he can maintain his gains in control and bring that K rate up a bit, while maintaining his current GB%, he could be great. At the very least, a SP who is reliable and won't kill you in ERA/WHIP.

+2
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby rotoquest » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:49 pm

I like Tim Stauffer if you only start him at home. His home/away splits are jeckyll & hyde. Otherwise I would go with Jackson pitching in Washington this year.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby MadDog36 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Bleh and more bleh.
Jake Westbrook is pretty steady.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433