FAAB for salary - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

FAAB for salary

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FAAB for salary

Postby mkultra » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:07 pm

My dynasty league has been using FAAB for pickups, and it's been great. Last year, we played that players keep their salary when dropped, and FA all have $1 salary- it doesn't matter how many FAAB bucks were in the winning bid.

This year, we're planning on taking advantage of OnRoto's more complex waivers vs. FA pickups, wherein a dropped player keeps his salary until he clears waivers, then resets. FAAB bids will then determine salary for Free Agents.

Big question- how much FAAB cash should each team get (14 team roto, approx. 350 rostered players)? We had $100 last year, but it was completely arbitrary- this year, I want to make sure managers have the incentive to bid up players to boost FA salaries, but have enough to stay competitive all season. What's a reasonable amount?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: FAAB for salary

Postby bigmck » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:45 pm

My league uses FAAB winning salary as the players salary. We do things a bit different as we have a certain number of player pickups during the year (12 not counting DL pickups) with a $290 team salary cap in effect during the season. The FAAB money is unlimited. == I think what you need to do is figure out the average number of pickups that each owner has during the year. You can then figure out how much FAAB money you need from that.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby bobnerns » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:40 am

I like this idea. I've never used OnRoto so I don't know what sort of settings they have, but is it possible to have FAAB pickups NOT blind auction. Meaning can it be like the draft where bidding is sequential and visible to everyone? I think this would be a nice way to determine keeper prices through FAAB (might not appeal to you, just spitballing).

As for how much money, you'd want the free agent pickups to be normalized in some way with auction prices. So that kind of comes down to league history and statistics. What has been trends in owners' bidding for free agents. I've only used FAAB in a basketball league where $0 in the minimum. Most guys go for $1, sometimes $2. If a guy is a hot pickup, he goes for $7 (and not a lot in between for some reason). So you'd need to figure out how much people typically spend, how much teams have left over at the end of the season, and how much you would want a typical free agent to be worth at auction. For basic $260 leagues, I'd say a normal price for a free agent to be kept the next season should be around $5.
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:40 am

mkultra wrote:Big question- how much FAAB cash should each team get (14 team roto, approx. 350 rostered players)? We had $100 last year, but it was completely arbitrary- this year, I want to make sure managers have the incentive to bid up players to boost FA salaries, but have enough to stay competitive all season. What's a reasonable amount?

There is another way to look at the situation. If you gave each Owner $500 and you made a rule that if you bid on a player during the season and win him in the FAAB, he must be kept for next year. This would keep the salaries at a level they should be. You would not have someone bidding $50 on the average player. Just an idea.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:29 pm

We've got an in-season salary cap to prevent people from just putting in endless crazy bids. Unlimited FAAB is an intriguing idea.

bobnerns wrote:I like this idea. I've never used OnRoto so I don't know what sort of settings they have, but is it possible to have FAAB pickups NOT blind auction. Meaning can it be like the draft where bidding is sequential and visible to everyone? I think this would be a nice way to determine keeper prices through FAAB (might not appeal to you, just spitballing).

Trying to do anything other than blind bidding would be totally unworkable, I think. You'd either have to have an auction every period that people need to show up for, or you'd have a slow auction that took forever.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmck » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:01 am

mkultra wrote:Trying to do anything other than blind bidding would be totally unworkable, I think. You'd either have to have an auction every period that people need to show up for, or you'd have a slow auction that took forever.

I agree with the above in today's world with the stat services and FAAB. Back in the 1990's before our league used a stat service, we had opening bidding on a player on a message board. It was a NL only league and we could only bid on players in the NL. Most of those were taken in the spring Auction. When a player would be brought up from the Minors, an Owner would post a message that he was starting a bid of one dollar on Joe Blow. The other Owners had 24 hours to email the Owner who started the Bid their higher bids. When the 24 hours were over, the guy who started the bid had the right to bid $3 higher to win the player or pass and let the highest bid received win the player. It worked pretty good for us for a lot of years. With today's FAAB, the old method just would not be practical.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Talos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:37 pm

Curious about this myself. We have the same set up (only $30/season + max 30 players) with 3 waiver days a week. The problem I'm finding is, the FAAB is what we use but with so 3 pick ups a week, everyone that goes generally goes for $1. It's not like football, where there's a big week or an injury and you know on Monday half the league is targeting your guy. Any thoughts on how to promote competition on the waiver wire with the bidding? Perhaps dropping the FAAB, assigning auto $1 value and using a normal waiver wire?
Talos
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:58 am

Talos wrote:Curious about this myself. We have the same set up (only $30/season + max 30 players) with 3 waiver days a week. The problem I'm finding is, the FAAB is what we use but with so 3 pick ups a week, everyone that goes generally goes for $1. It's not like football, where there's a big week or an injury and you know on Monday half the league is targeting your guy. Any thoughts on how to promote competition on the waiver wire with the bidding? Perhaps dropping the FAAB, assigning auto $1 value and using a normal waiver wire?

Your problem is that with $30 to bid with, there is not going to be a lot of bidding. Make it $250 and you will see the competitive bidding take shape.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:57 am

How do you avoid a situation, like this:

Say I've got Pujols at $50, which I think is way too expensive to keep. I doubt anyone would pick him up at that price, so I waive him toward the end of the season and no one claims him at that salary. Since there's very little FAAB money left in the league, he gets re-acquired as a FA for, say, $10, which becomes his new salary.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmck » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:15 pm

mkultra wrote:How do you avoid a situation, like this:

Say I've got Pujols at $50, which I think is way too expensive to keep. I doubt anyone would pick him up at that price, so I waive him toward the end of the season and no one claims him at that salary. Since there's very little FAAB money left in the league, he gets re-acquired as a FA for, say, $10, which becomes his new salary.

In our league there are a few star player drops at the end of the year and occassionally you can get a good deal. We have never had anything like in your example. Most guys just won't drop a star player regardless of his salary. When a drop does happen it is never where there is only just one guy bidding on him. There is always more than one and that keeps everyone honest. == There is one thing that is different in our league as we have an unlimited amount to bid with along with an in-season salary cap and a limit of 12 moves a year. Near the deadline to pickup players, there never has been only one guy with a move left. There are always multiple guys with moves left and that keeps everyone honest.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner