Kemp vs. Votto vs. MCab vs. Pujols - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kemp vs. Votto vs. MCab vs. Pujols

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kemp vs. Votto vs. MCab vs. Pujols

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:27 am

In my opinion, strong cases can be made for each of these guys in terms of being a better pick than the others.

Position value vs. overall 2011 stats vs. age vs. youth .... etc.

In your opinion, do any of these guys step above the rest in 2012?
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kemp vs. Votto vs. MCab vs. Pujols

Postby J35J » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:41 am

I'd probably just stay boring and go Pujols, MCab, Kemp, Votto but to me they are all very similar in overall value so it wouldn't really matter which one I got. I'd love to just pick 4th and take whoever is left.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby J35J » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:41 am

...better yet just pick 5th or 6th because Votto will likely be there still with Bautista and Tulo generally going before him as well.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:55 am

MCab moving to 3B worries me a lot, I just don't see how he can stay healthy at that position given his body. Pujols obviously has some chinks in his peripherals. I go Kemp with the #1 pick, he might not be the best baseball player of the bunch but the SB just elevate his value so much.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:06 am

Is it really a health issue to play 3B? What on earth is he going to be doing that's so different? Fielding is essentially the exact same, except he has to throw the ball to first a few times per game instead of running to cover first on every single ground ball. He has to charge for bunts, which he already had to do sometimes anyway. Unless he hurts his arm from throwing the ball more often, I don't see it as an issue.

Cabrera will probably be my pick if I had #1. I think he's the best hitter in the game, avoids injury, isn't changing teams/leagues, and he's till in his 20s. He also has Prince Fielder batting behind him this year so he should be scoring a lot more runs.
Last edited by Skin Blues on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:09 am

Depends on the stats your league scoring system focuses on. In a simple R,RBI,HR,SB,AVG league I'd rank them:
Pujols,Cabrera,Kemp,Votto

R,RBI,HR,SB,OBP:
Pujols,Cabrera,Bautista,Votto,Kemp

R,RBI,HR,SB,AVG,OBP,SLG:
Cabrera,Pujols,Votto,Bautista,Adrian,Kemp,Fielder

That is based purely on projections though. I'd also take into account any information you have on the players. Like Adrian, I am very concerned with his shoulder fatigue last year, which led to his power drop. I'm not as concerned about Cabrera moving to 3B, because I feel the Tigers will do everything in their power to keep his bat in the lineup and healthy. I do not believe they will gamble on keeping him at 3B, if things get dicey.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm

Is it really a health issue to play 3B? What on earth is he going to be doing that's so different? Fielding is essentially the exact same, except he has to throw the ball to first a few times per game instead of running to cover first on every single ground ball. He has to charge for bunts, which he already had to do sometimes anyway. Unless he hurts his arm from throwing the ball more often, I don't see it as an issue

It is much harder on your knees and back as well as your shoulder from throwing. 3B is right up there with 2B for injury risk. If you follow the defensive spectrum you are pretty much also following the injury risk by position. 3B is particularly hard on larger guys. On top of that any change in positions increases your injury risk, granted he is a natural 3B so it is lesser for him but it is still there. His injury risk was almost nil at 1B but it is significant at 3B. Even if healthy I don't have him outproducing Kemp or Pujols though mostly because he doesn't steal bases. Without the move to 3B I might have talked myself into taking him #1 because he was the lowest risk of the 3 but with the move it just isn't enough.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby silverZ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:11 pm

No love for Joey Bats? :,-(
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:16 pm

silverZ wrote:No love for Joey Bats? :,-(

Not for me. Sorry.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:20 pm

silverZ wrote:No love for Joey Bats? :,-(

His current MDP of 4.4 is very accurate for what I value his worth in leagues where OBP and SLG are counted. In leagues where AVG is more heavily favored, I rate him 9th best among hitters. In those leagues, I'll let someone else have him that early and get better value elsewhere.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers