Does anyone use FAAB for add/drops? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Does anyone use FAAB for add/drops?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does anyone use FAAB for add/drops?

Postby kingmike74 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:29 am

This is my 7th year in CBS as a commissioner and some owners want to try FAAB this year.

Can anyone comment on this?

I have it set to run Monday-Sunday right now but does this mean owners will never be able to add/drop freely?

I was thinking about allowing bids of $0 for when you just want to grab the "scrub" or something and do not want to spend money.

Also, I am not sure of which of the following to choose.

FAAB order resets every period based on reverse order of standing

or

It never resets.
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Does anyone use FAAB for add/drops?

Postby bigmck » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:46 pm

One of my leagues has the FAAB run every day. The rule we use is if you are replacing a DL player you can use a zero dollar bid (you must them drop the replacement when you activate the DL guy). Otherwise you have to bid something for the guy. == I like where the FAAB order never resets.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby kingmike74 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:00 pm

bigmck wrote:One of my leagues has the FAAB run every day. The rule we use is if you are replacing a DL player you can use a zero dollar bid (you must them drop the replacement when you activate the DL guy). Otherwise you have to bid something for the guy. == I like where the FAAB order never resets.

So every single add/drop is always done by bidding?

Also, I was thinking that with a 26 week season, $500 per owner would be a good number, thoughts? I know the actual $ does not really matter but 500 seems good to me for some reason.
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

Postby oleredb » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:20 pm

The FAAB we use on ESPN runs on Thursdays and Sundays at 8 pm et. We allow $150.00 of budget and require a minimum bid of $1.00. Over a 25 week season that allows an average of six $1.00 adds per week. It adds another level of strategy to the game as all bids on players are hidden until the winning bid is revealed. It also allows everyone equal opportunity to add any player in the FA pool. Our highest bid for one player last year was $60.00, but most bids fell in the $1.00 to $7.00 range.

If the option is that the tie breaker order is "never reset" then teams that have early draft picks will always have to bid more than teams who have late draft picks because they will never win a tie breaker. If the option is that it "never resets but the winner goes to the bottom of the order" then that is a fair system and does not give a permanent advantage in the bidding..
oleredb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)

Postby kingmike74 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:53 pm

oleredb wrote:The FAAB we use on ESPN runs on Thursdays and Sundays at 8 pm et. We allow $150.00 of budget and require a minimum bid of $1.00. Over a 25 week season that allows an average of six $1.00 adds per week. It adds another level of strategy to the game as all bids on players are hidden until the winning bid is revealed. It also allows everyone equal opportunity to add any player in the FA pool. Our highest bid for one player last year was $60.00, but most bids fell in the $1.00 to $7.00 range.

If the option is that the tie breaker order is "never reset" then teams that have early draft picks will always have to bid more than teams who have late draft picks because they will never win a tie breaker. If the option is that it "never resets but the winner goes to the bottom of the order" then that is a fair system and does not give a permanent advantage in the bidding..

I just want the highest bid $ to get that particular player. I do not care about who did what when/where or where they drafted or what there record is. You big the highest amount for a player, you get that player. In case of ties, then the team with the most HR gets the player, or something like that.
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

Postby oleredb » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:37 pm

I just want the highest bid $ to get that particular player. I do not care about who did what when/where or where they drafted or what there record is. You big the highest amount for a player, you get that player. In case of ties, then the team with the most HR gets the player, or something like that.

If you, bigmck and I bid on the same player and I bid $1.00, bigmck bids $2.00 and you bid $3.00 you will get the player regardless of the FAAB order. If all three of us bid $3,00 then the tie is broken by the FAAB order with the top person winning. If the order never changes then the manager at the top of the order always has the advantage of winning every tie for the entire season. Managers at the bottom of the order must bid higher because they will seldom win tie bids. The only way to get another tie breaker is to contact customer service at CBS and request that option then wait to implement the FAAB until that option is available.
oleredb
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kingmike74 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:38 am

oleredb wrote:

If you, bigmck and I bid on the same player and I bid $1.00, bigmck bids $2.00 and you bid $3.00 you will get the player regardless of the FAAB order. If all three of us bid $3,00 then the tie is broken by the FAAB order with the top person winning. If the order never changes then the manager at the top of the order always has the advantage of winning every tie for the entire season. Managers at the bottom of the order must bid higher because they will seldom win tie bids. The only way to get another tie breaker is to contact customer service at CBS and request that option then wait to implement the FAAB until that option is available.

Thx

I would like the order to rotate meaning that if you win a bid, you go to the bottom for the tie breaker.

I would also like to allow $0 bids for all the scrubs you add on whim, smart or not smart to do this IYO?
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigmck » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:20 am

kingmike74 wrote:Thx

I would like the order to rotate meaning that if you win a bid, you go to the bottom for the tie breaker.

I would also like to allow $0 bids for all the scrubs you add on whim, smart or not smart to do this IYO?

You are worring too much about the Tie-Breaker Order in the FAAB. Ties don't happen that much. Normally there is a person who bids more than others and he gets the player. The fair way to set the Tie-Break order is to have it Never Reset. == I played in a league for a couple years where we used $500. The amount really doesn't matter. If everyone has the same amount, they will spread it out over the season. It could be $500 or $5 million. As long as each has the same amount, that is all that matters.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby oleredb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:47 am

You are worring too much about the Tie-Breaker Order in the FAAB. Ties don't happen that much. Normally there is a person who bids more than others and he gets the player. The fair way to set the Tie-Break order is to have it Never Reset.

The league where we use FAAB has 20 teams with active owners. We had one or more ties in almost every auction during our regular season.

Perhaps a larger dollar amount in the budget or a smaller number of active owners will reduce the number of ties in the bidding.
oleredb
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner