Keeper/Trade Help Needed! WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper/Trade Help Needed! WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper/Trade Help Needed! WHIR!

Postby raek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:26 pm

16 team, H2H 5x6(Holds). We can keep 7, and draft pick trading is open. Here are my current keepers:

C:
1B: Pujols
2B: Phillips
SS: Hanley
3B: Sandoval
2B/SS:
1B/3B: Hosmer
OF: Cruz
OF: CarGo
OF: Jennings
Util: Konerko
Util: Quentin

P: Hernandez
P: Shields
P: Moore
P: Bedard
P: Britton
P: Storen
P: Motte
P: Bettancourt

If a spot is empty, Ive already dropped the player because they were completely worthless. My dilemma is that I dont want to lose the valuable players Im not keeping and get nothing in return. With draft pick trading, I am hoping to get some high-ish picks. Ive gotten some interest so far, and currently have this trade on the table:

I get:
BJ Upton
Mat Latos
11th round pick

I give:
Desmond Jennings
Drew Storen
17th round pick

With essentially everyone keeping 7, the 8th round will be the first, so 11th is a 3rd round pick. I like Latos, dont really care about Upton. But Ive got Matt Moore sitting on my team that I cant keep currently, and who I dont want to let go. I was thinking of countering with Storen/Jennings/17th for Latos and an 8th, moving Moore into my keepers with Jennings gone, and trying to move Latos. Thoughts? Thanks for the help.
-raek
raek
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 65)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper/Trade Help Needed! WHIR!

Postby MaudDib » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:42 pm

That looks fine to me. I would rather have Moore than Jennings anyway. I would also probably keep Sandoval over Phillips.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby raek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Yeah, Ive been considering Sandoval over Phillips as well. Problem is, most of the other decent 2B are being kept, leaving it a weaker position than normal. Im keeping Hanley, which gives me the flexibility to move him to third if I find a decent SS.
-raek
raek
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Verminator » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:53 pm

I would keep Nelson Cruz over Jennings and try to trade away Jennings and Moore for pick(s). Damn impressive keeper list... it looks like you can get more picks without the need to get players in return.
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby raek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:47 pm

bump
-raek
raek
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby drtodddds » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:56 pm

It would seem that you could be trading multiple players for one star. As I see it now, making this trade just adds to your dilemma. Trading away Storen isn't a big deal, as closers aren't that valuable to keep. You can always pick one up in a draft or off the waiver wire, even in a deep league like yours. But now you've got Latos to keep, and you've got to keep Pujols, Hanley, Cargo, and Hernandez (king Felix I'm assuming). So that leaves two spots for either Phillips, Hosmer, Cruz, Shields or Moore, and I guess you can throw Sandoval into that mix. I don't see this trade doing what you want it to Latos is really what you want. Your counter would be fine, and keep Moore and I would go with Cruz as the seventh keeper. Just getting Latos and then trying to unload him again just adds to the pile of players you already need to move.
I would personally try to package two or three guys for one stud bat. Or try a guy straight up for a draft pick.

Thanks for helping me out.
drtodddds
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:18 am

Sandoval is your 8th keeper. Easy choice IMO, especially in a 16 team league with extra hitting positions.

I'd then drop Jennings off of your list in favor of Moore.

After that, try to make as many 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 deals as you can to upgrade any spots that you could do better in.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:25 am

I'd keep sandoval over any of phillips, hosmer, jennings, or hernandez and i don't think it's all that close. your counter idea would be pretty nice for you but you might as well get any picks you can for the guys you aren't keeping. btw the 11th round would be the 4th round in your league, not the 3rd.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby dmbpanic » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks for your help on mine.

That is a crazy-stacked team for a 16-team keeper league. Nicely done. Tough decisions regarding who to keep.

I like Sandoval over Phillips, but I understand your point about Hanley taking over at 3B. Also, I think Phillips is important because he brings at least a little speed. This is also why I think you should keep Jennings. Outside of Phillips, you aren't keeping a lot of speed. I know you can probably pick up speed in the draft, but much of the speed you can draft will likely be 1 or 2-category players at best. I like Jennings because I think he can be a 3 or 4-category player and he has a pretty high ceiling. Because of that upside and his youth, I would keep Jennings over Cruz, even though I think Cruz has more value in 2012 than Jennings (though that depends on his health, which is very iffy).

I'm excited for Moore and think he has a ton of potential, but it's hard to justify keeping Moore over a very proven commodity (like Cruz, Shields or Sandoval). If I were you, I think I would try to find a way to redraft Moore in the 8th round instead of trying to keep him. In other words, I would either keep your current 7 keepers, or I would switch Sandoval with Phillips. Then, I would look to move the following players for draft picks as high in the 8th round (i.e. first pick) as possible: Sandoval (or Phillips, depending on who you keep), Cruz, Konerko, Shields. Surely in a 16-team league with 7 keepers per team, all 4 of those players are strong keepers, so there must be teams that have less than 7 keepers.

If I have a high pick in the 8th round and less than 7 strong keepers, I would be willing to give you my 8th rounder in return for 2 keepers that are likely better than whoever I could get in the 8th round. You end up overpaying, but it doesn't cost you a thing because you couldn't keep them anyway. Everyone wins. If it doesn't cost you to overpay, then make an offer that they can't refuse and you snag Moore with the first pick in the 8th round and it's the same as having 8 keepers.
dmbpanic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions