Keeper Question (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper Question (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Question (WHIR)

Postby TheGuru22 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 pm

The keeper deadline is coming up in one of my keeper leagues, and I'm having some difficulties determining my last couple of keeper spots.

Its a 12 team 5x5 league roto league, all teams keep 8 players this season, moving to 10 keepers next season. There is no limit to the length of time a player can be kept. Rosters are frozen until the keepers are set, so I can't try to upgrade any of my existing keepers by dealing for some of the excess guys the top teams will be dropping. My roster is probably middle of the pack in terms of keeper talent at this point, as a few teams possess most of the guys that would be taken in the first round of a typical snake draft. Starting positions are C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 4OF, 2 UTIL, 3SP, 2RP, 3P with 1750 inning limit.

I'm currently slated to keep the following guys:
Mark Teixeira
Jay Bruce
Brandon Phillips
Howie Kendrick
Adam Jones
Matt Wieters
Yovani Gallardo
Madison Bumgarner

Other guys I'm considering are Matt Garza, Mike Moustakas (for long term potential), Andre Ethier or Logan Morrison. Would any of these be better options than guys I'm currently keeping?

Any insight would be helpful.
TheGuru22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Question (WHIR)

Postby Bravos of Steel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Honestly I like your list of keepers, compared to the guys you're considering. The only thing that I would POSSIBLY consider is swapping out Howie Kendrick, since you already seem to have a 2B in Phillips, with Moustakas. I know, Mous hasn't really shown a whole lot up til now, but I really REALLY like his long term potential. Other than that, impressive set of keepers.

help me?

viewtopic.php?t=439066
Beautiful, Beautiful Family Guy

Lois: You're drunk again.
Peter: No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking.
Bravos of Steel
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MaudDib » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:17 pm

Your set looks good. I like the other guys but not over what you already are thinking of keeping.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 281)

Postby kidsilk » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:17 pm

I like what you have picked out. The only guy I would consider is Morrison as I expect big things from him this year and might swap out Jones. But after I think about it for a little bit I think you have it right.

please help

viewtopic.php?t=439059
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1209)

Postby dmbpanic » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:45 pm

I like your list. I think arguments could be made for Moustakas or LoMo...and I think Kendrick and Jones are the two that could be replaced, but I'm not sure I would change anything. I still think Jones has more upside than he has shown. I don't love Kendrick, but he gives you great positional flexibility, so that adds to his value. I like LoMo better than Moustakas in 2012, but in the long run, I probably like Moustakas better. Plus, you aren't currently keeping a 3B, and that position is a little thin (though Hanley and Miggy will add to the depth this year).

All that said, for this year, I probably keep the players you have listed, and look to grab a few high ceiling players in the draft that might not hit their potential in 2012 (e.g. Moustakas) so you can keep them next year when you keepers expand to 10. If you can keep some known quantities (Jones, Kendrick) and redraft LoMo and Moustakas, that's a win-win.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?t=439062
dmbpanic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby lotsofluck » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:52 pm

kidsilk wrote:I like what you have picked out. The only guy I would consider is Morrison as I expect big things from him this year and might swap out Jones.

This
lotsofluck
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby pungent » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Keep what you have. I might, just might, consider keeping LoMo over Howie.
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Urban Cohorts » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:26 am

TheGuru22 wrote:Other guys I'm considering are Matt Garza, Mike Moustakas (for long term potential), Andre Ethier or Logan Morrison. Would any of these be better options than guys I'm currently keeping?

Any insight would be helpful.

I wouldn't add any of these guys to your keeper list. All of the guys you currently have as keepers will be tougher to draft versus the guys you mention above. For example, if you really want Morrison, reach on him in the draft. I'm fairly certain all of your current keepers are being drafted at least a couple of rounds ahead of these guys.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions