Keeper League: Castro, Hosmer, or Lawrie? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper League: Castro, Hosmer, or Lawrie?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League: Castro, Hosmer, or Lawrie?

Postby bconstant4 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:51 pm

I'm in a deep keeper league on a rebuilding team. Hitting categories are: AB, H, R, RBI, HR, BB, SB, AVG, OBP, SLG.
We get 1 1B, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 SS, 2 1B/3B, and 2 2B/SS.

I have Belt, Rizzo, Dunn, Sandoval, Headley on my team for corner infielders. Prado too but he'll probably lose it. For Middle infield I have Castro, Kipnis, Ian Desmond, Zach Cozart, Aaron Hill, Scutaro.

Who do you think is the better keeper: Starlin Castro, Eric Hosmer, or Brett Lawrie?

I'm leaning towards keeping Castro because of how weak SS is and my next best SS is Cozart or Desmond. Also, I feel like he could be a .300+ with 20/20 at SS, with potential for even more steals, which would be great for such a weak position. Whereas, at corner infield the other guys are good, but may not be as much better than the other guys on my squad, or the rest of the league. Plus, they're not as proven. Just looking for opinions.
bconstant4
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League: Castro, Hosmer, or Lawrie?

Postby kidsilk » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:05 am

Hosmer by far in my opinion. He has the most upside and is going to be an All-Star

please help

viewtopic.php?t=439059
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1232)

Postby lilfrier » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:09 am

It's going to be a while before Hosmer can be an All-Star, seeing as he competes with Pujols, Teixeira, Gonzalez, Fielder, Konerko, and possibly Montero. I'd guess 3 years is the earliest he makes the team.

Castro is the clear answer. Hosmer plays the deepest position in fantasy, while Castro plays the shallowest.
lilfrier
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 22)

Postby Element » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:50 am

bconstant4 wrote:I'm in a deep keeper league on a rebuilding team. Hitting categories are: AB, H, R, RBI, HR, BB, SB, AVG, OBP, SLG.
We get 1 1B, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 SS, 2 1B/3B, and 2 2B/SS.

I have Belt, Rizzo, Dunn, Sandoval, Headley on my team for corner infielders. Prado too but he'll probably lose it. For Middle infield I have Castro, Kipnis, Ian Desmond, Zach Cozart, Aaron Hill, Scutaro.

Who do you think is the better keeper: Starlin Castro, Eric Hosmer, or Brett Lawrie?

I'm leaning towards keeping Castro because of how weak SS is and my next best SS is Cozart or Desmond. Also, I feel like he could be a .300+ with 20/20 at SS, with potential for even more steals, which would be great for such a weak position. Whereas, at corner infield the other guys are good, but may not be as much better than the other guys on my squad, or the rest of the league. Plus, they're not as proven. Just looking for opinions.

Starlin is the safe keep, but Hosmer/Lawrie give much more upside, IMO. I could see both players in the top 24 as soon as next season's draft. Since you also have Pablo, I would keep Hosmer. Who cares about an All-Star team? Kid's a stud.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:16 am

kidsilk wrote:Hosmer by far in my opinion. He has the most upside and is going to be an All-Star

please help

viewtopic.php?t=439059

;-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby dannahann » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:23 am

I'd keep Hosmer.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:26 am

I have those guys all ranked pretty close together, but Castro gets the nod due to positional scarcity. Hosmer would be my next choice since you already have Sandoval on board.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:49 am

Hosmer and Lawrie have plenty more upside than Castro IMO.

Hosmer has more experience than Lawrie, and isn't blocked by Sandoval. Your other 1B options (Belt, Rizzo) aren't sure things so I think Hosmer is certainly the way to go.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MaudDib » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:15 am

Do you have to keep Rizzo, Dunn and Belt? I am assuming you do but if you don't then this is a totally different question.

How many teams in this league? What are the restrictions on keepers?

Basically I am trying to figure out what will be in the draft. I think this boils down to Hosmer and Castro. Both can be top 5 in their position with a chance at some point of being #1 although Hosmer is more likely to get their than Castro.

I would probably keep Hosmer because he has so much upside. But if there are going to be 1B in the draft, then I would keep Castro because of how shallow the league is.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:37 am

Lawrie by a hair over Hosmer.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions