Shelby Miller - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Shelby Miller

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Shelby Miller

Postby Verminator » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:37 pm

Hola!

I have Shelby Miller in an NL Only and he will be in his last year of his contract in 2012. (salary of $10). I can extend him for $5 per year (e.g., have him through 2014 for $20). As long as he is in the minors, his salary does not count towards the salary cap.

This is a 13 team league... $260 budget... NL Only as I mentioned... only 4x4/No Strikeouts.

Would you extend him hoping he comes to the Cards rotation in mid-2012 or 2013? Or, would you throw him back and get him back in the reserve rounds of the auction by some miracle (I have the 5th pick) or draft another hot prospect?

Thanks... feel free to post a link to your question and I will return the favor.
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Shelby Miller

Postby Element » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:46 am

Verminator wrote:Hola!

I have Shelby Miller in an NL Only and he will be in his last year of his contract in 2012. (salary of $10). I can extend him for $5 per year (e.g., have him through 2014 for $20). As long as he is in the minors, his salary does not count towards the salary cap.

This is a 13 team league... $260 budget... NL Only as I mentioned... only 4x4/No Strikeouts.

Would you extend him hoping he comes to the Cards rotation in mid-2012 or 2013? Or, would you throw him back and get him back in the reserve rounds of the auction by some miracle (I have the 5th pick) or draft another hot prospect?

Thanks... feel free to post a link to your question and I will return the favor.

A lot of Shelby's value comes in his K potential. It could also be that I am not familiar enough with this format, but that cost seems high to me.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby lilfrier » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:47 am

The cost seems WAY Too high. $15 would be a pretty steep cost, no? I would toss him back and try to repick him at 5. That, or you could try to trade him.

The big thing: Does he need resigned now? I would think you could try to trade him at your league's deadline if he comes up, and benefit that way. Regardless, giving him $15 is just absurd. That sounds like Matt Cain/Matt Garza money.
lilfrier
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 22)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:30 am

I can't see why you'd want to pay more than a buck for a guy to sit on your bench for most of the season. Especially in a league where his strikeouts won't even count.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby dannahann » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:53 am

Been fortunate enough to see Shelby throw a couple real nice games at AA and a bit concerned when he missed another start I had tix for due to disciplinary reasons. That said he's extremely talented but is likely to spend all or most of the season at AAA. We don't know how he'll fare at that level either and some very fine pitchers took a while to get past AAA. Even if you got the benefit of his K in your scoring you'd be paying too much too early IMO.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:45 am

lane_anasazi2 wrote:I can't see why you'd want to pay more than a buck for a guy to sit on your bench for most of the season. Especially in a league where his strikeouts won't even count.

;-D
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MaudDib » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:08 am

You have to let him go. I assume if you get him back, you can start over the clock. This will be the last year you can still get him at a decent price so this is the time to throw him back in the pool. I think he can be an ace at some point and be in the big leagues this year. Westbrook is pretty bad so it won't take a lot for the Cardinals to jump ship.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Verminator » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks everyone... I sometimes get too enamored with my prospects. Salaries are inflated in this league because a lot of players are on teams for an incredibly discounted rate (esp closers who were acquired when they were middle relievers) but there will be good prospects to be had in the reserve rounds even if I miss out on Shelby Miller.

And, yes, the contract clock will start over on him if I can redraft him.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Verminator » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:24 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:I can't see why you'd want to pay more than a buck for a guy to sit on your bench for most of the season. Especially in a league where his strikeouts won't even count.

He would not count towards my max salary if he is not on the teams opening day roster. This is why I am hoping that Bryce Harper does NOT make the team at the beginning of the season. ;-D
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Yeah, but when he DOES count, $15-20 seems a bit high in a league that doesnt count K's.

Help with mine?

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=439094
-raek
raek
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 65)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions