Pitching or offense in first round? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Pitching or offense in first round? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching or offense in first round? WHIR

Postby etex211 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Our league is an 18 team 5x5 roto.

I normally don't like to draft pitching in the first round, or even the second round, but I am thinking I may need to adjust my strategy in this league this season.

For my seven keepers, I kept 6 hitters and 1 pitcher, a closer. My keepers are:

Jose Bautista
Carlos Gonzalez
Desmond Jennings
Asdrubal Cabrera
Erick Aybar
Allen Craig

Drew Storen

In the first five rounds of our draft, I have the following overall picks: 13, 29, 36, and 57. It is not a live draft. We send in player lists to our commissioner, and he conducts the draft (along with another couple of guys from the league) from those lists. These drafts are done in sections, 5-7 rounds at a time, two weeks apart. In the past, I've always devalued the pitchers on my lists in the early rounds of the draft. This strategy has served me well in the past, but with what I have for keepers, I'm not sure I shouldn't alter my strategy.

There are plenty of top pitchers available in our draft this year:

Halladay
Verlander
Lee
King Felix
Hamels
Weaver
Lincecum
Greinke
Gallardo
Lester
Beckett
Josh Johnson
Hanson
Daniel Hudson
Wainwright

Any thoughts about taking a pitcher in the first round?

WHIR, please leave a link.

(In a bit of irony, I could have kept Cliff Lee, but he would have cost me the 13th overall pick and one of my other keepers.)
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitching or offense in first round? WHIR

Postby MaudDib » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:59 pm

What are the hitters that will be available? A lot depends on that information and a lot depends on what happens with the 12 picks before you. If there is a top hitter at 13, then I would go with him. Pitching of course isn't as deep in this league but nothing will have that much depth so hitting is still your best option. Pretty much continue the strategy of best player available especially in the first few rounds.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby etex211 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Yeah, I probably should have included some of the top offensive players available. Here they are:

Votto
Cano
Teixeira
McCutchen
Holliday
Wright
Victorino
Pence
Choo
Berkman
Nelson Cruz
Konerko
Morse
David Ortiz
Braun
Ichiro Suzuki
Butler
Gardner

I won't get to see a draft board when my turn comes up at 13. The commissioner will just give me the top player on my draft list.

I think that I will take your advice and just construct my list as best player available, instead of using my former strategy of devaluing all pitchers in the early rounds. I'd love to have two of those top 15 pitchers available after my third pick at 36.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lilfrier » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:34 pm

That's a weird drafting setup. DEFINITELY put Cano first, though. After that, I would probably put a few of those pitchers (Halladay, Verlander, Lee, Hernandez), followed by a couple of hitters.

I gotta ask, though:

In a league with so much talent going into the pool, how were you stuck with keepers like Aybar, Craig, and Storen?
lilfrier
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Best player available for sure. There are quite a few studs available on both sides so just take the best you can get and worry about filling in holes later on.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:38 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Best player available for sure. There are quite a few studs available on both sides so just take the best you can get and worry about filling in holes later on.

;-D You will get solid pick at #13 for sure. I would just send the list with the rankings that you like and then in the later rounds, possibly change up the picks a little bit to fill in the holes.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby etex211 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:44 pm

lilfrier wrote:
I gotta ask, though:

In a league with so much talent going into the pool, how were you stuck with keepers like Aybar, Craig, and Storen?

When a player is drafted, his draft round sticks with him. If you keep him the next season, you give up the according pick. Players can be kept up to three seasons.

Aybar is a 13th round pick.
Craig is a 22nd round pick.
Storen is a 23rd round pick.

It's all based on value.

I only have four picks in these first five rounds because I kept Bautista, my second round pick from last season.

ETA: There is lots of talent in the draft pool in this league every season. It is possible to go from worst to first in one season. I've done it before. It is also possible to go from first to worst in one season. I've done that, too. It's a fun league with a good core of owners that have been around for many years.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lilfrier » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:52 pm

I see, and that makes sense to an extent. I'd still be iffy on keeping Craig, as we don't know his role. He will almost certainly miss the first month, and unless Beltran has some Kobe-like knee procedure, I don't trust him to play center. That leaves Craig on the bench in favor of Jay, or it forces him into a position he's uncomfortable with.

Regardless, worse decisions have been made by me. It might work out, and I hope it does. Good luck drafting.
lilfrier
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Well if one of those big bat 1b is available I'd go that way.
You have a good SS in Aybar.
Stud 3b in Bautista nad a couple of good OF.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2068)

Postby etex211 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:15 pm

One thing going for me is that three of the top shortstops (Tulowitzki, Hanley Ramirez, and Jose Reyes) are available in the draft. I am locked at SS, and early picks will be used on those guys, pushing other talent down my way.

I've started constructing my list. Right now, I've got 4 hitters, and then 7 pitchers:

1. Joey Votto
2. Robinson Cano
3. Mark Teixeira
4. Andrew McCutchen
5. Roy Halladay
6. Justin Verlander
7. Cliff Lee
8. Cole Hamels
9. Jered Weaver
10. Felix Hernandez
11. Tim Lincecum

I am sure Votto, Cano, and Teixeira will all be gone. McCutchen may be avaiable at 13.. If not, then I am confident I will get one of those 7 pitchers. I don't think I can go wrong with any of the 11 above.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions