KEEPER LEAGUE TRADE SCENARIO HELP RIGHT OR WRONG? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

KEEPER LEAGUE TRADE SCENARIO HELP RIGHT OR WRONG?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

KEEPER LEAGUE TRADE SCENARIO HELP RIGHT OR WRONG?

Postby p32bars » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:26 pm

Everyone is welcome to reply...

Trying to get as many opinions as I can as this "loophole" was recently brought up in our keeper league of going on 5 years now.

I run a 10 team keeper league with 26 man rosters.

Every player is under a 3 year keeper contract.

If a player is drafted for the 1st time in 2012, they are eligible to be declared a keeper in 2013, 2014, and 2015 at the round they were drafted in 2012.

If a player was drafted in 2009 in round 10. He could have been kept in round 10 in 2010, 2011, and finally 2012. After 2012, he would go back into the player pool for the 2013 draft.

If a player is drafted and not kept the following year, his clock starts over.

If Team A trades Coco Crisp in RD 23 to Team B for Cameron Maybin in RD 21. Then Team A inherits Cameron Maybin in RD 21 and his keeper status left on him and does not get a RD 21 pick at the draft. Also, Team B gets Coco Crisp and inherits his keeper status left on him and does not get a RD 23 pick at the draft.

The "loophole" has come up in the past 2-3 days. Our keeper declare date is February 27, 2012.

Right now, Team A owns the rights to Prince Fielder as he drafted him in RD 1 in 2011. Team A finished 7th place last year which entitles him to the # 3 overall pick in 2012 if he does not keep Prince. If he does keep Prince, Prince will take that spot and Team A will not have a 1st round pick.

Team B does not have anyone on his roster that was drafted in RD 1 in 2011. He finished in 5th place last year which slots him in as the # 5 overall pick in 2012.

Remember, this is all pre-keeper declared stage, no players have been turned into me as keepers, all teams still have 2+ weeks to decide.

Team B wants to offer Mike Trout in RD 19 who can be kept 2012, 2013, and 2014 as well as his 1st round pick (#5 overall) to Team A for Team A's 1st round pick (#3 overall).

Herein lies the scenario that comes up. If they agree to this trade, Team A would then pick up Mike Trout in RD 19 and the #5 overall pick in RD 1. Team B would pick up the #3 overall pick in RD 1.

Should Team A still be allowed to keep Prince Fielder as long as he gives up the #5 overall pick slot he just traded for? He basically moved back 2 slots and picked up Mike Trout in the process and then keeps Prince because he still owns a pick in RD 1.

Team A actually thinks is "double dipping" and that if he trades his 1st RD pick for another 1st RD pick, keeping Prince at a lower draft slot is unfair?

I hope you could follow all of that, opinions are welcomed!

Thanks!
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: KEEPER LEAGUE TRADE SCENARIO HELP RIGHT OR WRONG?

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:55 pm

I don't have a problem with it and I don't see how you could prevent it unless there's a rule against it. If you don't want it to happen in the future then you should probably amend the rules.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby p32bars » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:42 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:I don't have a problem with it and I don't see how you could prevent it unless there's a rule against it. If you don't want it to happen in the future then you should probably amend the rules.

I guess I should say, the problem from league members is that Team A should be using "his 1st rd pick" to keep Fielder. He shouldn't be allowed to trade his 1st RD pick away, gain another one, and use the one he gained to "keep Prince". Some league members believe once you trade away "your 1st RD pick", meaning, that you earned by the way you finished in standings in 2011" you forfeit the right to keep a player in Round 1. You should not be allowed to gain someone else's 1st RD pk in a trade and then use that one to keep a player in Round 1.

I'm indifferent either way, we just have some league members upset so I said I would post this and get 3rd party opinions.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Ya I understood the issue, I just think it's an owner being savvy and unless there's something specifically against it in the rules it seems wrong to disallow it. Change it for future years if you want, but I'd keep it as is for this year.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 426)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner