Kipnis for Goldschmidt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Kipnis for Goldschmidt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kipnis for Goldschmidt

Postby sfjb » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:10 pm

16 team H2H 5X5...both same salary. Who do you take?
sfjb
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 194
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kipnis for Goldschmidt

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:26 pm

I think Kipnis is the safer pick. A solid option at 2B. Goldschmidt is riskier, but could have 30 hr power.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Kipnis for Goldschmidt

Postby ensanimal » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:11 pm

I prefer Kipnis. Shallower position, should give solid numbers across the board, while Goldschmidt would only have an advantage in HR's and potentially RBI's.
ensanimal
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10620
(Past Year: 113)
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tim Horton's

Re: Kipnis for Goldschmidt

Postby lilfrier » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:14 pm

I agree that Kipnis is the answer. You could get 20/20 with him, while Goldschmidt's just going to be Pena/Reynolds with the potential for a better average.
lilfrier
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 831
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kipnis for Goldschmidt

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:31 pm

ensanimal wrote:I prefer Kipnis. Shallower position, should give solid numbers across the board, while Goldschmidt would only have an advantage in HR's and potentially RBI's.


Goldschmidt has a pretty big advantage in homeruns and RBIs and could score more runs as well. Kipnis' main advantages are in batting average and 2B eligibility, but I don't think that overcomes Goldschmidt's power potential. I'd give the edge to Goldschmidt.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14137
(Past Year: 427)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: Kipnis for Goldschmidt

Postby MaudDib » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:00 pm

HOOTIE wrote:I think Kipnis is the safer pick. A solid option at 2B. Goldschmidt is riskier, but could have 30 hr power.

Agreed. Kipnis is the guy I would take. I am not sold on Goldschmidt as a starting 1B yet.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Image
MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 8016
(Past Year: 380)
Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kipnis for Goldschmidt

Postby ensanimal » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:24 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
ensanimal wrote:I prefer Kipnis. Shallower position, should give solid numbers across the board, while Goldschmidt would only have an advantage in HR's and potentially RBI's.


Goldschmidt has a pretty big advantage in homeruns and RBIs and could score more runs as well. Kipnis' main advantages are in batting average and 2B eligibility, but I don't think that overcomes Goldschmidt's power potential. I'd give the edge to Goldschmidt.


I'll have t give Goldschmidt another look, but with him batting low in the order and Kipnis near the top, I don't think their numbers will be that off. Goldy has 10-15 HR, but Kipnis has 10-15 SB. I could see Kipnis with a good 20 runs over Goldy and minimal 5-10 RBI difference. Kipnis should also have a .020 AVG advantage.

That being said, I am a Kipnis fan, and have not looked much into Goldschmidt as he is not someone I am targeting this year. I don't see much besides some good power numbers.
ensanimal
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10620
(Past Year: 113)
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tim Horton's

Re: Kipnis for Goldschmidt

Postby lilfrier » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:39 pm

That's my thinking as well. I've heard Goldschmidt's swing described as long and slow, meaning a good fastball could be a tough thing for him to get around on (though it'll go a LONG way when he does). That could lead to cheating on fastballs and being too early on off-speed stuff. There is risk in his swing, is basically the way to put it.

Kipnis is a more complete player. He'll lose the battle of power hitter numbers (HR, RBI), but he'll be better at the others. Goldschmidt will be hitting rather far down in the order, and while ARZ has a good offense, it's not extremely deep. His run totals could be lower than Kipnis' by a good bit. Kipnis adds a better average, likely comparable OPS (well, maybe...not too sure how they will compare), and the likelihood he'll go 15-15, if not 20-20 or better.

I just see Kipnis as better because Goldschmidt has no skill that you can't get from 15 other 1B.
lilfrier
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 831
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kipnis for Goldschmidt

Postby MaudDib » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:46 pm

ensanimal wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
ensanimal wrote:I prefer Kipnis. Shallower position, should give solid numbers across the board, while Goldschmidt would only have an advantage in HR's and potentially RBI's.


Goldschmidt has a pretty big advantage in homeruns and RBIs and could score more runs as well. Kipnis' main advantages are in batting average and 2B eligibility, but I don't think that overcomes Goldschmidt's power potential. I'd give the edge to Goldschmidt.


I'll have t give Goldschmidt another look, but with him batting low in the order and Kipnis near the top, I don't think their numbers will be that off. Goldy has 10-15 HR, but Kipnis has 10-15 SB. I could see Kipnis with a good 20 runs over Goldy and minimal 5-10 RBI difference. Kipnis should also have a .020 AVG advantage.

That being said, I am a Kipnis fan, and have not looked much into Goldschmidt as he is not someone I am targeting this year. I don't see much besides some good power numbers.

And those HR aren't a given for Goldschmidt. I read somewhere that his bat speed is one of the slowest in the league. There is always the chance he turns into a Chris Davis type where he can mash the ball if he could ever connect with it. But he will strike out too much to ever be worth more than a bench spot.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

Image
MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 8016
(Past Year: 380)
Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kipnis for Goldschmidt

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Kipper
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
Posts: 16509
(Past Year: 1956)
Joined: 1 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NC

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact