2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Obviously the Astros weren't getting any trade interest in Myers, so they've done the equivalent of giving him a different haircut and said to teams, "what about now?"
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11358
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby Padsin05 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Andrew Cashner averaged 102.2 mph with his fastball on Sunday, throwing 10 in a scoreless frame of relief.
The heaters ranged between 100.5 and 103.3 mph. Cashner may take the throne as the game's hardest thrower this season. Cashner missed most of the 2011 season with shoulder issues, but San Diego plans to limit his exposure by making him the primary setup man for Huston Street. Cashner won't have mixed league value this year unless Street hits the shelf -- which is a probability -- but he could take over in the ninth inning after Street, who is a free agent following this season, departs.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby SteveJeltzPhanClub » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:57 pm

So it sounds like Mike Gonzalez will not be signing with the Texas Rangers. Anyone believe that if he signs with a team like the Baltimore Orioles or the Oakland A's, he might be launched into the runnings for the closer position? I'm holding onto him in a deep 20 team league, but if he doesn't have Save potential, he's pretty much worthless to me.
SteveJeltzPhanClub
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 297
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 5 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:58 pm

SteveJeltzPhanClub wrote:So it sounds like Mike Gonzalez will not be signing with the Texas Rangers. Anyone believe that if he signs with a team like the Baltimore Orioles or the Oakland A's, he might be launched into the runnings for the closer position? I'm holding onto him in a deep 20 team league, but if he doesn't have Save potential, he's pretty much worthless to me.
Baltimore gave him a go a few years ago. I can't imagine they would do so again. Oakland I just don't think will spend the $.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24817
(Past Year: 353)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:01 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
SteveJeltzPhanClub wrote:So it sounds like Mike Gonzalez will not be signing with the Texas Rangers. Anyone believe that if he signs with a team like the Baltimore Orioles or the Oakland A's, he might be launched into the runnings for the closer position? I'm holding onto him in a deep 20 team league, but if he doesn't have Save potential, he's pretty much worthless to me.
Baltimore gave him a go a few years ago. I can't imagine they would do so again. Oakland I just don't think will spend the $.


There are quite a few teams that could benfit by having him as a lefty reliever but maybe not a closer. The A's only have Fuentes as the sole lefty, so in order for him to close they may look to add someone like Gonzalez.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8512
(Past Year: 116)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby saemick » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Anyone hearing anything about Addison Reed supplanting Thornton as the Pale Hoes Closer? Thornton really seemed to break down last year & I've been hearing good things about Reed.
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1924
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 16 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby Mortician » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:30 am

whos the expected closer in oakland?
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 358
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 8 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Morgue

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:34 am

saemick wrote:Anyone hearing anything about Addison Reed supplanting Thornton as the Pale Hoes Closer? Thornton really seemed to break down last year & I've been hearing good things about Reed.
Coaching in Chicago has said to ask them a week before the season who the closer will be, and that they wouldn't discuss it at this point, last I had read anything.

Mortician wrote:whos the expected closer in oakland?
Throw a dart.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24817
(Past Year: 353)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:53 am

Mortician wrote:whos the expected closer in oakland?


I would buy on Balfour but I wouldn't pay very much. He is worth owning in deeper leagues at least even if he doesn't get saves.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:00 am

saemick wrote:Pale Hoes


Image

:-b :-b :-b
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11358
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigLebowski, joiingds, TheTrith and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 15
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact