2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:31 am

I agree. As bad as they are, they're wasting 200+ innings of a guy that put up 2.8 K/BB last season, and who they handed a $28M 3-year contract to just a little over a year ago. He has zero chance of being worth his contract as a relief pitcher. At least if he can get his ERA in the 3's as a starter he'd be useful to them, or enable them to dump the contract.

Also of note is that they changed the option to depend on games finished instead of games started. This could prevent them from turning him back into a starter, or pre-maturely removing him from the closer role so as not to appear as circumventing his vesting option, a la K-Rod last year.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:34 am

I don't really understand the logic behind the move other than they are taking a reasonably priced but a little expensive starter and making him into an overpaid reliever. They must be hoping that a little velocity returns in shorter stints. Or possibly it's the Astros and they aren't thinking...
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 174)

Postby ironman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:03 am

My thoughts are more they want to open rotation space for their younger guys to get them a chance to pitch. I doubt they're caring that much about what they're getting out of Myers' salary at this point. What's their payroll anyway? I can't imagine they're breaking the bank at all.

Plus if you look at the rest of the Astros bullpen, Myers really isn't all that bad in comparison.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:17 pm

ironman wrote:My thoughts are more they want to open rotation space for their younger guys to get them a chance to pitch. I doubt they're caring that much about what they're getting out of Myers' salary at this point. What's their payroll anyway? I can't imagine they're breaking the bank at all.

Plus if you look at the rest of the Astros bullpen, Myers really isn't all that bad in comparison.

That's shortsighted then. All it takes is an injury, a youngster falling flat on his face or a Wandy trade and the team is rolling out a 5+ ERA starter. There will always be chances to get a prospect into the rotation.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 174)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:53 pm

kab21 wrote:I don't really understand the logic behind the move other than they are taking a reasonably priced but a little expensive starter and making him into an overpaid reliever. They must be hoping that a little velocity returns in shorter stints. Or possibly it's the Astros and they aren't thinking...

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I figured they are trying to make it so they could trade him.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Garry26 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:42 am

Hes had flashes of brilliance (2005, 2010), but mostly hes a 4.50ERA that gets around 160-180Ks a year if healthy. And you need a professional closer to close out your games. In my opinion they made the right move. A mediocre #5 starter, or a stud closer.

According to CBS sportsline, he has an 8m salary. Its a bit high, but established closers make around that or more (Mariano 14m, Valverde 7m, CAPPS 7m wow, etc). Others make less, but what are they going to spend more money to acquire another bonafide closer or use what they already got?
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 68)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Garry26 wrote:Hes had flashes of brilliance (2005, 2010), but mostly hes a 4.50ERA that gets around 160-180Ks a year if healthy. And you need a professional closer to close out your games. In my opinion they made the right move. A mediocre #5 starter, or a stud closer.

According to CBS sportsline, he has an 8m salary. Its a bit high, but established closers make around that or more (Mariano 14m, Valverde 7m, CAPPS 7m wow, etc). Others make less, but what are they going to spend more money to acquire another bonafide closer or use what they already got?

They suck. A closer is so far down the list of their needs it's not even funny. This is a potential good move for fantasy purposes, but one has to assume they're doing it so they can trade him.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:49 pm

Garry26 wrote:And you need a professional closer to close out your games. In my opinion they made the right move. A mediocre #5 starter, or a stud closer.

Nobody needs a professional closer. What does that even mean? Every year we see guys that have never closed before have big success, and "professional closers" like Kevin Gregg and Fernando Rodney fall apart like the crappy pitchers they are.

And Brett Myers is not a #5 starter nor a stud closer. So that argument pretty much goes right out the window. This move does nothing but make the Astros much worse than they already were, and reduce the trade value of their second highest paid player. I suppose on the bright side they've pretty much removed all doubt of them getting the top pick in the draft.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Garry26 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:40 pm

@ Skin Blues
A professional closer is a reliever who will close out games successfully. As opposed to unsuccessful closers who have been "tried out" and failed like those you've mentioned. A professional closer is one who during draft day you have pegged as 30SVs+ guaranteed barring injury (varying quality). Then comes the ones you grab last. The try outs. The ones that could be, but aren't yet. The ones you brag about having the foresight to grab & netted you 40SVs.

@ bigh0rt
Agreed they have more pressing needs. However this important need can be met with no cost. Even being the worst teamlast year, they won 56 games. Someone had to close out those games. The Mets have more pressing needs. Yet they got Frank Franscisco because not having a pro closer after trading K-Rod killed them. 4m for Frank. Not the greatest, but that's what 4m will get you.

Got to have a closer that you feel will close out the games you have a chance to win. Gen Managers feel "It doesn't matter if I get a player that can win me a game, if I lose it because I have no closer."
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 68)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:22 pm

I think you have an overly romanticized view of closers... but that's your prerogative. At least for fantasy purposes this move makes Brett Myers a lot more valuable. That much we can agree on, I'm sure.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers