2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Best thing that'll happen to the Cafe today (hopefully) is this thread getting locked, and hopefully all parties involved just leaving this discussion dead in this thread. I cannot express to you as an outside spectator how annoying it is to see the same exact points rehashed ad nausea. It's reaching the point where people don't even want to visit this thread. If people can't bring themselves to not post for the sake of the entire forums, then they're missing the point of this thread in general. It's an everybody issue now. Just quit it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby snash » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:12 pm

I know that I do not post often. But as a reader of this site for the past 2 seasons, all this talk about Frieri and Down is really putting me and countless of us off. As someone said above, both Frieri and Down are taken in any sort of competitive league. So there is little to no relevance for those of us who does have either player in our team. If you are fortunate enough to have one of them, then let your actions do the talking. If you think Frieri is the closer, then keep him. If you like Down, then drop Frieri.

Enough is enough, folks. This used to be my favorite thread, because there are so much real-time info from all the posters. Nowadays, I am terrified to even open it. :-P It has been a full week since I visited. Daddy needs a brand new car. But daddy needs to keep up with the latest and greatest news on closers too. Can you help...and take your rant elsewhere! X-I
snash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NZ Eff » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Craig Kimbrel is rather good.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby wazzeus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:23 pm

NZ Eff wrote:Craig Kimbrel is rather good.

He's unreal. Really, he's like two top-tier closers rolled into one. In my league, everyone else is playing two relievers every week; Craig K is all I need, which allows me to run an extra starting pitcher out there -- boosting the Ws and Ks. ;-D

This guy is the only reliever worth taking in the first three rounds, and he's such an advantageous weapon at his position that I'd consider him as early as the second round.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:29 pm

wazzeus wrote:

He's unreal. Really, he's like two top-tier closers rolled into one. In my league, everyone else is playing two relievers every week; Craig K is all I need, which allows me to run an extra starting pitcher out there -- boosting the Ws and Ks. ;-D

This guy is the only reliever worth taking in the first three rounds, and he's such an advantageous weapon at his position that I'd consider him as early as the second round.

I don't care how good he is, there's a 0% chance I take him in the 3rd round, ever.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby wazzeus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:43 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
wazzeus wrote:

I don't care how good he is, there's a 0% chance I take him in the 3rd round, ever.

I probably wouldn't, either, but he's so far beyond anyone else at his position that I wouldn't consider it ridiculous if someone did. The only player who dominates his position more is Troy Tulowitzki ... when healthy, of course.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby West » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:06 am

Since this thread is about to be locked and there is already a second half thread I don't mind going off topic a bit. This is my favorite and most visited thread as well. I am certainly not innocent when it comes to flame wars as well - this spring I got all fired up over Broxton vs. Holland. It didn't take up as much real estate as Frieri vs. Downs but it was the same situation: A lot of nitpicking over stats when the only real solution was to wait it out and see what happened. It's easy to get fired up over closers when you are already invested in certain players.

That said I hope we can keep it on topic the next few months. I don't mind seeing a long winded discussion over which closer option is better. Years ago, before Rotoworld caught onto the Twitter feeds, this thread used to be the place where news broke first. Now with the advances in smart phones, everyone gets the news around the same time. But this thread is still invaluable when it comes to figuring out speculative adds. I hope we can keep it that way by weeding out the crap.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:31 am

Skin Blues wrote:Santos could be out for the year; it's just delay after delay with his shoulder. Janssen still the man. Probably a good buy low as he hasn't had many opportunities lately but still has the job.

Santos having shoulder surgery; done for the year. Hope you bought low on Casey Janssen!

https://twitter.com/Wilnerness590/statu ... 8446546945
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby BigZ38 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Santos could be out for the year; it's just delay after delay with his shoulder. Janssen still the man. Probably a good buy low as he hasn't had many opportunities lately but still has the job.

Santos having shoulder surgery; done for the year. Hope you bought low on Casey Janssen!

https://twitter.com/Wilnerness590/statu ... 8446546945

Screw this guy. Talk about lying about an injury Blue Jays.
Innocuous elbow inflammation...out for a few...out for a few more...torn labrum...good golly.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Maris09 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:15 pm

Pick up Walden/Jepsen! :-b :-b
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic