2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:24 pm

silverZ wrote:
JRM4833 wrote:Are Jake McGee or Jordan Walden still worth speculating on for 2013?

Walden - Probably not. He hasn't been that good this year and has too many options in front of him.
McGee - Maybe. Even though the Rays have a reasonable 2013 team option on Rodney I don't trust him to hold onto the job forever. He's been studly this year, def. worth keeping at $1.

McGee will be the guy at some point, but it won't be this year and likely not next as I expect Rodney to be around for another season with the option they have on him. He and Farnsworth are next in line if Rodney goes down. (McGee before Farnsworth right now)
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:28 am

Oviedo wasn't even that good last year. His career numbers are very "blah". He was good in 2010 but other than that his K% and BB% are very mediocre. Couple that with missing half of a season and finding out that he's actually a year further along the aging curve, and I'm less than enthused. I'd rather have Cishek at this point. I have little doubt that Ozzie will give Oviedo a chance, albeit with a leash about 10 miles shorter than the one given to Heath Bell.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby k.k. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:24 pm

The last time Guillen indicated he'd go with a closer-by-committee for a while, Bell eventually came back and reeled off a string of saves without trouble. What are the chances Bell too is in the mix for saves with everyone else mentioned and locks down the spot once again?
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby wazzeus » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:50 pm

k.k. wrote:The last time Guillen indicated he'd go with a closer-by-committee for a while, Bell eventually came back and reeled off a string of saves without trouble. What are the chances Bell too is in the mix for saves with everyone else mentioned and locks down the spot once again?

I consider this the most likely outcome, actually. They're not paying Bell all that money to pitch in middle relief. If he can reel off a handful of uneventful outings that include a few saves, he's still going to be the primary guy, I suspect.

The way Bell has pitched, though, he really can't trip up going forward.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby IndyPostman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Does anyone care to rank speculative adds for the second half? We've been talking about Holland and Oviedo lately; anyone else?
IndyPostman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby West » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:51 am

IndyPostman wrote:Does anyone care to rank speculative adds for the second half? We've been talking about Holland and Oviedo lately; anyone else?

Gregerson/Thayer in SD and Wilton Lopez in Houston (just got off the DL). I also think that if the Mets don't make a move at the deadline for some relief help that Parnell will emerge as the guy. But it seems likely that the Mets trade for someone.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby silverZ » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:08 am

West wrote:
IndyPostman wrote:Does anyone care to rank speculative adds for the second half? We've been talking about Holland and Oviedo lately; anyone else?

Gregerson/Thayer in SD and Wilton Lopez in Houston (just got off the DL). I also think that if the Mets don't make a move at the deadline for some relief help that Parnell will emerge as the guy. But it seems likely that the Mets trade for someone.

You don't see Francisco getting the job back once he comes off the DL?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby daullaz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:47 am

This is a good question, and I may try and rank speculative adds in my Bottom of the 9th article, which will be up tomorrow.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:59 pm

I really think Rex Brothers should be added to any team in need of saves. He could also have the job for quite some time after.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby silverZ » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

I really think Rex Brothers should be added to any team in need of saves. He could also have the job for quite some time after.

Good call. I've had him in my lineup for the past month. The kid is a stud. Even without the saves he's a solid guy to own for ratio help, especially in low IP limit leagues.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers