2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (1ST HALF)

Postby Element » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:22 am

Garry26 wrote:Hes not great thats for sure, but hes gotten 20+ saves on teams so he can do it.
Ok I see now. Basically they'll try their "talent" at the position, even if its inexperienced. Only if it fails will they go to Gregg. They're looking for the prototypical closer type, which Gregg isnt I guess.

In the CBS Depth Charts, De Los Santos is listed as Closer over Balfour.

I dont know where they get their info though so maybe one place is good as another this early in the game.

CBS is wonderful, but expensive, as a league host, but you shouldn't follow their analysis too closely. De Los Santos could win the job, but I also think that it will be Balfour. Rotoworld also has Balfour as the guy. It's all a guess at this point though. Fuentes has been a successful closer & Devine certainly has the stuff if he's healthy. Wide open, IMO.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 761)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:55 pm

IndyPostman wrote:
Anyone think Axford might be even a little nervous with KRod behind him? I'm a little nervous that if Mr. Mustache has another opening day like he did last year (game up a walk-off to the Reds) that it won't be long for a call for a change comes. Yes, Ax was great last year (except where previously noted), but for some reason this still concerns me a bit.
P

Not worried even a tiny little bit. The team wanted KRod gone this year but he accepted arbitration at the last minute. Axford is about as solid as they come given the 1.5 year sample size we have to work with.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby IndyPostman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Element wrote:
Garry26 wrote:Hes not great thats for sure, but hes gotten 20+ saves on teams so he can do it.
Ok I see now. Basically they'll try their "talent" at the position, even if its inexperienced. Only if it fails will they go to Gregg. They're looking for the prototypical closer type, which Gregg isnt I guess.

In the CBS Depth Charts, De Los Santos is listed as Closer over Balfour.

I dont know where they get their info though so maybe one place is good as another this early in the game.

CBS is wonderful, but expensive, as a league host, but you shouldn't follow their analysis too closely. De Los Santos could win the job, but I also think that it will be Balfour. Rotoworld also has Balfour as the guy. It's all a guess at this point though. Fuentes has been a successful closer & Devine certainly has the stuff if he's healthy. Wide open, IMO.

Rumor mill has maybe Mike Gonzalez going to Oakland, as closer or set up is unclear. This will be unsettled I fear for some time. :-[
IndyPostman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Garry26 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:48 pm

What's great is they have huge depth charts for all team rosters with yellow notes (ala yahoo) next to each with info. I have a folder in my favorites with all the teams depth charts, and I use it for injury info and analysis. I also use it to second guess a teams lineup, and to get a rough idea how good a team is (on paper). Its great for finding lesser players batting behind/in front 2-3 studs, etc, but this year they deleted players '10 stats when you 'hover' over their name. Previous years they kept it til season start. So its a bit annoying.

They also have lots of baseball stories which I find useful, but I go for second and third opinions though, and formulate my own opinion. Sometimes Ive been able to guess who the next closer in line is just by looking at those charts during the season.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 65)

Postby sfjb » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Does a Koji Uehara trade to OAK clear up the closer situation there?
sfjb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:43 pm

sfjb wrote:Does a Koji Uehara trade to OAK clear up the closer situation there?

No, I'd say if it happens it'll probably just complicate matters further.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Oriole Way » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Anyone want to offer their take on who will wind up with the first shot to close in Houston? Lopez seems like the best option, but it seems like they're looking at Lyon and Carpenter as well. Any insight would be appreciated.
Oriole Way
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby colt4523 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:07 pm

So what preseason closer is going to be the first to lose his job? I have a feeling that Pestano takes over in Cleveland.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Whalewang » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:28 pm

J35J wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:I think there are fifty million reasons that Papelbon is as rock solid as anyone. Hanrahan is also solid, if not rock solid. Betancourt is solid. Best relief pitcher in baseball the past 2 years (highest K/BB, lowest SIERA) and no competition now that Street is gone. Chris Perez is realllly shaky, like everyone has said. Pestano is much better and I imagine will take over at some point.

Yeah, I'm not sure anyone is as "rock solid" as Papelbon. Also agree that Betancourt is a beast, very under the radar of just how good he is.

Nice effort and thanks!

Here are my thoughts from a NL only perspective:

Papelbon - should be Rock Solid because the Phillies just spent 50M on him to be their closer so his leash is going to be as long as anyone's. He has averaged 35 saves, 2.849 ERA, 1.1307 WHiP, and 10.6 K/9 over the last 3 years.
Storen - should be Rock Solid. In his second year in the Bigs he registered 45 saves, 2.700 ERA, 1.0857 WHiP, and 8.7 K/9 in 2011.
Madson - should be Rock Solid. Madson proved last year that he can handle the pressure of closing games out. He only had 2 blown saves all of last year while totaling 32 saves and that's without starting in the closing role (but he finished in that role). He has averaged 2.827 ERA, 1.1466 WHiP, and 9.6 K/9 over the last 3 years.
Axford - should be Rock Solid. He came up in 2009 and had 7 appearances that year. In 2010 he split time closing with Trevor Hoffman and posted very solid peripherals to go along with 24 saves. His stats in 2011 were 46 saves (2 BS) ,1.967 ERA,1.1475 WHiP, and 10.6 K/9.
Hanrahan - should be Rock Solid. Hanrahan's has shown enough consistency over the last two to warrant Rock Solid. He has 4 straight years of a declining walk rate. Sure he'll probably regress from last year's stats but that's mostly because of how outstanding they were. He registered 40 saves, 1.847 ERA,1.0557 WHiP, and 8.0 K/9 in 2011.
Betancourt - should be Solid. He stole the closer's job from Street at the end of last year. His elite control and walk rate (8 walks over 60 inn each of the last 2 seasons) indicates there is a very high probability of success going forward. He has averaged 3.133 ERA, 0.9779 WHiP, and 11.0 K/9 over the last 3 years.
Whalewang
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Nice post Whalewang and I agree in general. My one disagreement is with Hanrahan and it is largely based on the fact that he has a really good chance to be traded at some point and he isn't so elite that it can't end up being as a setup guy. So while I would call him rock solid for the first half his full season prospects of staying closer are just solid for me.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers