Hello Again! Keeper (& salary)Question - I'll answer yours - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Hello Again! Keeper (& salary)Question - I'll answer yours

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hello Again! Keeper (& salary)Question - I'll answer yours

Postby Remotethumb » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Hey guys, I guess I've been around here for 7 or 8 years or so. I love the cafe. My questions are usually a little more specific than most. What am I trying to say? I will return the help if you help me. But if you're not sure about my deep questions, just let me know you're not sure; but still post your question and I'll try to help you in return. Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert. I play a keeper-league mixed salary cap so I am not playing the same game as most of you. But I don't need to know what Sporting News, Yahoo, ESPN say. I already know that. I need gut instinct answers. But for me, keep in mind when I am asking a keeper question I'm looking at VALUE! We have a tight salary cap, so a lot of studs get thrown back into the pool even though this is a "KEEP 4" league.

The minor leaguers I could activate are ranked in the top 150...they are SP Beachy (who I have to activate at $8...), C Jesus Montero at catcher (but I can keep him on the farm if I want, activate him anytime next season....), and 3B Moustakas (same as Montero I can keep him in my minors if I want)

Start 1 each position plus DH, 5 SP 2 RP-standard 5x5-12 team H2H mixed league-(tight)salary $280 cap- We can keep 4, not counting our 3 player minor leaguers we may bring up as an extra player. Here are my keeper options with their 2012 salaries (formula for salaries is from sporting news mag) I figure to keep Votto, Tulo...but then should I keep v-mart, at a thin position? ...or berkman, who I know will probably not match last year but for 17 dollars I just hope for 85%...Konerko as DH? He doesn't go away...I'm not serious about keeping a pitcher but I figured I'd show my best options. I never keep RPs. But I do have Axford.

c V. Mart $25
1B Votto $31
1B Konerko $22
OF Berkman $17
2B R. Weeks $23
TSS ulowitzki $31
OFAdam Jones $18
SP T. Hudson $18
RP Axford $22

Some cheap players (I'm not real serious about keeping them but they seem to be great value, and it's a keeper league ...and in Freese's case, 3B seems thin)
Eovadli $1
Freese $8
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hello Again! Keeper (& salary)Question - I'll answer yo

Postby MaudDib » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:51 pm

VMart is out of the year so he is a no.

I think I would go with Weeks. I am not a big fan of his but he plays a shallow position, is priced about right and I think he has a better bet to match last years numbers. Jone is intriguing but I would rather have the 2B. Konerko is also nice but at some point he is going to fall of a cliff or something and I am one who would rather cut a guy a year early than a year late.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Remotethumb » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:00 pm

C V Mart
1B Votto
2B Weeks
SS Tulowitzki

and bringing up Beachy....

sure looks nice...

do you value the prospect Jesus montero as a starter this season? If so, I could not worry about V-Mart. So in that scenario, who do I keep besides V-mart?

I figure if I am to figure that Jesus Montero is going to compete for rookie hitter of the year like some folks are suggesting...maybe i should count on hm as my starting catcher and keep....say, Berkman? my potential starting lineup based on optimism:

C J. Montero - activating minor leaguer
1B Votto
2B Weeks
SS Tulo
3B Moustakas - activating minor leaguer
DH
OF Berkman
OF
OF
SP Beachy - activating minor leaguer
SP
SP
SP
SP
RP
RP

also, would you bring up Moustakas or keep him for free in the minor leagues 1 more year (knowing I can activate him at any time if i need to)
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:39 pm

I think I'd keep Konerko there. I trust him more than Berkman to keep his production up for at least one more year, and I just can't get over Weeks' injury issues. When you're just keeping four I try to stay away from perennial injury risks.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ensanimal » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:23 am

As was mentioned, VMart is done for the year so he is an obvious no.

1B Votto $31
2B R. Weeks $23
SS Tulowitzki $31
OFAdam Jones $18

These would be my 4, plus your 3 minor leaguers that you can promote. Gives you good power/speed balance.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 111)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:09 am

I would keep these 4-

Votto $31
Tulowitzki $31
Adam Jones $18

Weeks $23 - I like Berkman's value more, but I like Weeks speed/power combo at 2B. And since you only have one 1B and one DH, Berkman gets cut as you have Votto.

Activate Beachy

also, would you bring up Moustakas or keep him for free in the minor leagues 1 more year (knowing I can activate him at any time if i need to)

Maybe I am missing something. But if this is the case, why would you promote either Mousetakas or Montero? If you can activate either of those guys at any time, why pay for them before the draft when you don't have to? That extra money in the draft could make a difference..
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Remotethumb » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:46 am

thanks as always. I didn't realize V-Mart was out for the season (2 small kids and football season will do that! ha ha) This site was really the first place I came to when I got an e-mail from my commisioner.

As for any misunderstanding about my minor-leaguers...we "keep" a farm of 3 minor league players. We can choose to activate them at any time. Once active, they can never go back down to the farm. We HAVE to activate them at 130 ABs or 50 IPs. So I have to activate Beachy and Moustakas. These 2 do not count against my "4 keepers." I can activate Jesus Montero if I want, but I don't have to (keep in mind if he starts the season off well, I can activate him at any time) Now that V-Mart is not an option, I will consider having him as my starting catcher, depending on what happens in the re-draft. I guess I don't need to reach for a catcher in the re-draft since I've got Montero waiting in the wings.

So really it boils down to picking the 2 from Rickie Weeks @ $23, Berkman @ $17, Konerko @ $22, Adam Jones @ $18.
Or some "good value" considerations like Freese @ $8 (but I have Moustakas), Brandon McCarthy @ $6, or Axford @ $22.
My keepers so far:
C
1B Votto
2B
3B Moustakas (doesn't count against my 4 keepers)
SS Tulo
OF1
OF2
OF3
DH
SP1 Beachy (doesn't count against my 4 keepers)
SP2
SP3
SP4
SP5
RP1
RP2

Also, thanks for the help. I tried to "mark" all of your advice as helpful but it said I wasn't authorized??
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:00 am

Remotethumb wrote:So really it boils down to picking the 2 from Rickie Weeks @ $23, Berkman @ $17, Konerko @ $22, Adam Jones @ $18.
Or some "good value" considerations like Freese @ $8 (but I have Moustakas), Brandon McCarthy @ $6, or Axford @ $22.

I don't think Freese at $8 is very good value. He is not the player he was in the post season and should be considered a bench player. Axford is probably priced about right. The Brewers aren't going to be as good this year which could effect his saves totals. Saves are hard to judge anyway and I would rather wait until the auction to find a closer especially in a 4 player keeper league. McCarthy is somewhat good value at $6 but not enough to keep. He has had way too many ups and downs in his career for me to buy into last year just yet. Odds are pretty good that other owners have a similar thought and he will go for a similar price at auction.

So it boils down to the first four you mentioned. I would probably take Weeks because he is a better bet not to regress like Berkman and Konerko and plays a shallow position. I would then take Jones with the same kind of logic.

Do you know who might be available at auction? Are there any big bats or 1B available? That would help decide if Konerko is worth keeping. If there are a number of 1B available then it is easier to let Konerko go. If there is nothing then I would probably lean towards keeping Konerko over Weeks.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Remotethumb » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:31 pm

You can pretty much say the top 50 is kept. (12 teams x 4 keepers) Usually the top 6 to 8 SPs are kept, the rest of the keepers are the top 40-45 hitters. That's why it's tough to throw back a Konerko, Berkman, or Ad. Jones.

There are, of course, several of the top 50 left to start the redraft (too expensive, hurt, too old, etc....or teams had 5 good players to keep from) but I have the 7the pick so I'll probably have to choose from the last of the "sure" hitters or take my only chance to get a 2nd tier SP.

I'm keeping Votto, Tulo...I guess Rickie Weeks, but with the injuries, with Prince & Braun being gone, he scares me. Plus he's $23. I know Cano, Pedroia, Kinsler and Phillips will be kept. Maybe Uggla. So Weeks may need to be kept with my fingers crossed.

Like I've stated, it's between Konerko and Adm. Jones.

Keepinh Tim Hudson crossed my mind (and Axford) but I just can't do that! :-)
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions