H2H Points league best scoring receipe - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Postby broomulack » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:37 am

Appreciate the response. I'm a Roto guy that has never cared for h2h but I've gotten interested in it lately - only if ru can find something realistic that doesn't rely so much on luck.

As to question #1, I still don't understand why hits is a separate category when it appears that 9.6 points could simply be added to each type of hit to achieve the same result. Unless of course you are using category based scoring in some fashion, which I did not get an impression that you are.

Finally, if you could PM me your rules beyond just scoring, I'd appreciate it. As I said, I've never really done h2h and if your system is that tried and true, if rather not founder around aimlessly.

Thank you so much.
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby datafreak » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:48 am

broomulack wrote:Appreciate the response. I'm a Roto guy that has never cared for h2h but I've gotten interested in it lately - only if ru can find something realistic that doesn't rely so much on luck.

As to question #1, I still don't understand why hits is a separate category when it appears that 9.6 points could simply be added to each type of hit to achieve the same result. Unless of course you are using category based scoring in some fashion, which I did not get an impression that you are.

Finally, if you could PM me your rules beyond just scoring, I'd appreciate it. As I said, I've never really done h2h and if your system is that tried and true, if rather not founder around aimlessly.

Thank you so much.

Our H2H league minimized luck by playing 3 games per week. 69 games instead of 23 smooths out things quite a bit.

We take the normal schedule, and bump it down one week for the 2nd game of the week, and bump it down 2 for the 3rd game of the week.

So you make a normal schedule . . . and you play the same team 3 weeks in a row.

game 1 game 2 game 3
Opp 1 Opp 10 Opp 9
Opp 2 Opp 1 Opp 10
Opp 3 Opp 2 Opp 1
datafreak
T-Ball Trainer

Postby JonC0226 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:49 am

broomulack wrote:Appreciate the response. I'm a Roto guy that has never cared for h2h but I've gotten interested in it lately - only if ru can find something realistic that doesn't rely so much on luck.

Thank you so much.

I'd be more than happy to send you the rest of the rules for the system. Let me tell you though, this year we have decided to try out H2H 5x5, because in any points system trades are almost totally irrelevant. If you consider the fact that to make a good trade, without one teaming being ripped off, you are swapping players of equal value. Whereas in a 5x5, system one team might be overloaded in a category and lacking in another and the opposite is true for another team, which would make a trade relevant. So, that is the only downside to using points. This will be our first year moving off points though, so not sure if we will enjoy it more or less.

You can't really eliminate all luck from H2H. Some weeks you may not having good pitching match ups and have a bunch of players taking days off, but over the course of a season this tends to work itself out. However, the playoffs can change everything. I have had the highest scoring team the past two year in my league, but I came in second one year and fifth the next. I think this reflects actual big league play though.

Don't forget, the Cardinals were a Wild Card team last year, and now they are the champs. So, while you can't eliminate all luck, I think it makes the experience more competitive between managers.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby broomulack » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:57 pm

JonC0226 wrote:

Thank you so much.

I'd be more than happy to send you the rest of the rules for the system. Let me tell you though, this year we have decided to try out H2H 5x5, because in any points system trades are almost totally irrelevant. If you consider the fact that to make a good trade, without one teaming being ripped off, you are swapping players of equal value. Whereas in a 5x5, system one team might be overloaded in a category and lacking in another and the opposite is true for another team, which would make a trade relevant. So, that is the only downside to using points. This will be our first year moving off points though, so not sure if we will enjoy it more or less.

You can't really eliminate all luck from H2H. Some weeks you may not having good pitching match ups and have a bunch of players taking days off, but over the course of a season this tends to work itself out. However, the playoffs can change everything. I have had the highest scoring team the past two year in my league, but I came in second one year and fifth the next. I think this reflects actual big league play though.

Don't forget, the Cardinals were a Wild Card team last year, and now they are the champs. So, while you can't eliminate all luck, I think it makes the experience more competitive between managers.

That would be great, thank you. My email address is rmackoul@gmail.com.

Good luck with the new format!
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JonC0226 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:22 pm

For anyone else who might want to look at the settings. I just copy and pasted from Yahoo!, sorry about any formatting issues.

Live Draft Pick Time:
Max Teams: 10
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head - Points
Player Universe: All baseball
New Players Become Available: As soon as Yahoo! adds them
Max Acquisitions for Entire Season: No maximum
Max Trades for Entire Season No maximum
Trade Reject Time: 1
Trade End Date: August 14, 2011
Allow Draft Pick Trades: Yes
Waiver Time: 1 day
Waiver Type: Continual rolling list
Trade Review: League Votes
Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
Max Acquisitions per Week: 4 regular season, 2 playoffs
Min Innings Pitched: 5
Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
Start Scoring on: Week 1
Playoffs: Week 22, 23 and 24 (6 teams)
Playoff Reseeding: No
Lock Eliminated Teams: No
Divisions: No
Playoff Seeding Options: By season rank

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, BN, BN, DL, DL

Batters Stat Category
At Bats (AB) -1.6
Runs (R) 8.4
Hits (H) 9.6
Singles (1B) 3
Doubles (2B) 4
Triples (3B) 5
Home Runs (HR) 22.3
Runs Batted In (RBI) 7.5
Stolen Bases (SB) 17.5
Walks (BB) 5
Intentional Walks (IBB) 5
Hit By Pitch (HBP) 5
Hitting for the Cycle (CYC) 50

Pitchers Stat Category
Innings Pitched (IP) 20.5
Wins (W) 54.1
Shutouts (SHO) 5
Saves (SV) 47.3
Hits (H) -5
Earned Runs (ER) -15
Walks (BB) -5
Intentional Walks (IBB) -5
Hit Batters (HBP) -5
Strikeouts (K) 4.5
No Hitters (NH) 15
Perfect Games (PG) 20
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby alee73 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 am

JonC0226, have you played around with adjusting the lineup requirements at all? I'm just curious if you started with the current lineup configuration, or if you tinkered with it to help fit the scoring model. If I was going to do what you have done, I would probably start with our league's preferred lineup style, so it would be nice to know on the front-end before I get my hands dirty.
alee73
T-Ball Trainer

Postby JonC0226 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:16 am

alee73 wrote:JonC0226, have you played around with adjusting the lineup requirements at all? I'm just curious if you started with the current lineup configuration, or if you tinkered with it to help fit the scoring model. If I was going to do what you have done, I would probably start with our league's preferred lineup style, so it would be nice to know on the front-end before I get my hands dirty.

I don't think that would matter. We considered adding another SP and UTL. The scoring system is the important part.
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dfa » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:19 am

That scoring system is pretty fascinating. How does it value SP v RP ?
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby JonC0226 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:15 am

dfa wrote:That scoring system is pretty fascinating. How does it value SP v RP ?

Closers are valued highly. Middle relievers carry no value.
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JonC0226 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:19 am

JonC0226 wrote:
dfa wrote:That scoring system is pretty fascinating. How does it value SP v RP ?

Closers are valued highly. Middle relievers carry no value.

Although, I would say that Closers are necessarily valued as high as starting pitchers. I think their value is reflective of real life, the best teams are going to have really good closers and they will make the difference in a playoff team, but you can still win without them if you have a solid rotation that can pitch CG.
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner