H2H Points league best scoring receipe - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Postby Doyyer714 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Well my league is up and running and just wanted to know from you that have played on a points league, what has been the best system.

Every year I am breaking my head trying to adjust this stuff so maybe this yr you guys can give me a hand.

Thanks in advance fellas.
Doyyer714
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 5
Joined: 7 Feb 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Postby oleredb » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:32 am

Here is a system I have been using for 5 years in leagues with 12 to 20 teams. It is balanced between batting and pitching. Managers like it and I have a high retention rate from one season to the next.

Scoring for Batters:
Single=1,
Double=2,
Triple=3,
Home Run=4,
Walks=1,
Runs=1,
RBIs=1,
Hit By a Pitch=1,
Sacrifices=1,
Stolen Base=2,
Caught Stealing=-2,
Strikeouts =-1,
Ground into Double Play=-2
Errors=-1.

Scoring for Pitchers:
Innings Pitched=1 (or .33 per out),
Wins=7,
Saves=5,
Strikeouts=1,
Shutouts=5,
Complete Games=5,
Holds=5,
Quality Starts=2,
Earned Runs=-1,
Losses=-3,
Blown Saves=-2,
Walks Issued=-1,
Hit Batsmen=-1
Wild Pitches=-1
oleredb
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 119
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Postby hyer7 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Here is what we use. I have used this scoring system for 10 years. Power hitting and pitching is at a premium. It is unique but my league likes it because it soft tossers and contact hitters are a dime a dozen.

Scoring for Batters:
Single=1,
Double=2,
Triple=3,
Home Run=4,
Walks=1,
Runs=2,
RBIs=3,
Stolen Base=2,

Scoring for Pitchers:
Innings Pitched=3 (or 1 per out),
Wins=10,
Saves=10
Quality Start =5,
Strikeouts=3,
Holds=5,
Earned Runs=-3,
Walks Issued=-1,
Hit Allowed -1
hyer7
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 12
Joined: 4 Jan 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Postby JonC0226 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Plug this into any projection spreadsheet or program and you will see that it values pitchers and hitters realistically. Don't round the numbers though, the decimal points are in the for a reason. This system took a very long time to develop but works perfectly.

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, BN, BN, DL, DL

Batters Stat Category
At Bats (AB) -1.6
Runs (R) 8.4
Hits (H) 9.6
Singles (1B) 3
Doubles (2B) 4
Triples (3B) 5
Home Runs (HR) 22.3
Runs Batted In (RBI) 7.5
Stolen Bases (SB) 17.5
Walks (BB) 5
Intentional Walks (IBB) 5
Hit By Pitch (HBP) 5
Hitting for the Cycle (CYC) 50

Pitchers Stat Category
Innings Pitched (IP) 20.5
Wins (W) 54.1
Shutouts (SHO) 5
Saves (SV) 47.3
Hits (H) -5
Earned Runs (ER) -15
Walks (BB) -5
Intentional Walks (IBB) -5
Hit Batters (HBP) -5
Strikeouts (K) 4.5
No Hitters (NH) 15
Perfect Games (PG) 20
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 40
Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Postby dmj616 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Jonc0226, 20.5 points for every inning pitched?
dmj616
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 2
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Postby JonC0226 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:10 pm

dmj616 wrote:Jonc0226, 20.5 points for every inning pitched?


Yes. I believe starting last season Pujols was ranked number one and Halladay was two under that system. There was truly an equal distribution in the top 50-75 of both pitchers and hitters. We wanted to develop a system that was most reflective of the MLB. Pitching is just as essential, maybe more so in the playoffs, as batting in real life. The top five teams in our league had the best balance of both pitching and batters.

I used this draft program to help me figure out the exact scoring. http://www.fantistics.com/baseball00/

With that I was able to plug in the numbers and it would spit out the rankings according to the paramaters set. It took a very long time, but every category, even innings pitched, was carefully developed.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 40
Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Postby dmj616 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 pm

"Authentication required" when I clicked on that link you suggested.

But I just created a league with these settings and it looks great, exactly what I am looking for.

2011:

Matt Kemp: 5418.50
Justin Verlander: 5418.90

I'm assuming these are the point values listed for these players on the link you suggested?
dmj616
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 2
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Postby JonC0226 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:32 pm

dmj616 wrote:"Authentication required" when I clicked on that link you suggested.

But I just created a league with these settings and it looks great, exactly what I am looking for.

2011:

Matt Kemp: 5418.50
Justin Verlander: 5418.90

I'm assuming these are the point values listed for these players on the link you suggested?


http://www.fantistics.com/ Try that. It is an excellent program - FYI.

Yes, I think last year we were looking at guys like Halladay, Lee, Hernandez, and Verlander all in the top 12-15. We are trying out H2H 5x5 this year just to shake things up, so I haven't seen what the current rankings would be. Sounds right though. Because pitchers are valued heavily, you might want to restrict moves to 4 a week and 2 in the playoffs. That was the only problem we had, some people streaming. Also, just as a heads up, the two teams in the championship both had excellent pitching rotations. So, make sure you really get a good balance. Good luck!
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 40
Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Postby broomulack » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:30 pm

JonC0226 wrote:Plug this into any projection spreadsheet or program and you will see that it values pitchers and hitters realistically. Don't round the numbers though, the decimal points are in the for a reason. This system took a very long time to develop but works perfectly.

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, BN, BN, DL, DL

Batters Stat Category
At Bats (AB) -1.6
Runs (R) 8.4
Hits (H) 9.6
Singles (1B) 3
Doubles (2B) 4
Triples (3B) 5
Home Runs (HR) 22.3
Runs Batted In (RBI) 7.5
Stolen Bases (SB) 17.5
Walks (BB) 5
Intentional Walks (IBB) 5
Hit By Pitch (HBP) 5
Hitting for the Cycle (CYC) 50

Pitchers Stat Category
Innings Pitched (IP) 20.5
Wins (W) 54.1
Shutouts (SHO) 5
Saves (SV) 47.3
Hits (H) -5
Earned Runs (ER) -15
Walks (BB) -5
Intentional Walks (IBB) -5
Hit Batters (HBP) -5
Strikeouts (K) 4.5
No Hitters (NH) 15
Perfect Games (PG) 20


Couple of dumb questions as I try to absorb this:

1. If hits are 9.6 and HR 22.3, does that mean a HR is actually 31.9 points? Why count hits as a separate category - wouldn't it make more sense to just add 9.6 to each of the hits?

2. Why are AB counted negatively?

3. Finally, if a perfect game is pitched, does the pitcher receive points for BOTH a no-hitter AND a perfect game?
broomulack
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 320
Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Points league best scoring receipe

Postby JonC0226 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:53 pm

broomulack wrote:
JonC0226 wrote:
Couple of dumb questions as I try to absorb this:

1. If hits are 9.6 and HR 22.3, does that mean a HR is actually 31.9 points? Why count hits as a separate category - wouldn't it make more sense to just add 9.6 to each of the hits?

2. Why are AB counted negatively?

3. Finally, if a perfect game is pitched, does the pitcher receive points for BOTH a no-hitter AND a perfect game?


1. Yes, and actually a HR results as more because you get Runs, and RBI added in.

2. AB are negative because there is no strike out or out category. So, if the batter fails to reach the base safely he goes negative.

3. Yes, a perfect game does result in a no-hitter and a perfect game.

Again, the system is time tested and has worked flawlessly. It has proven to value both batters and pitchers accordingly. Do not tinker with the scoring though. Every value is in there for a reason and one decimal point can change the player rankings a lot.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 40
Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Jul. 26
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(4:05 pm)
Washington at Cincinnati
(4:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(7:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Houston
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Oakland at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(9:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact