Anyone do their own auction salary values?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone do their own auction salary values??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone do their own auction salary values??

Postby BalataGrande » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:32 am

I'm trying to incorporate my projections into SOLID auction value numbers. Am wondering if any of you do this and what sort of formulas you use?? PM me or email me at balatagrande@gmail.com if you are interested in sharing your thoughts with me......

Thanks in advance!!
BalataGrande
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone do their own auction salary values??

Postby ayebatter » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:44 am

So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1364)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:07 am

lastplayerpicked.com

That's pretty much all you need to know after you ahve a set of reliable projections.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby Element » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:54 pm

This thread is amazing. I started doing my own using this method several years and still use it with some minor tweaking. Using lastplayerpicked works too and you can even upload your raw stats, but you learn a lot by doing it yourself. I recommend giving that a try.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 761)

Postby TheRock » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:07 pm

I hear there's an article coming out soon about this topic.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Tavish » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:21 pm

Skin Blues wrote:lastplayerpicked.com

That's pretty much all you need to know after you ahve a set of reliable projections.

I love last player picked's tool, the only problem I have with them is that I have to tweak their positional value. For instance on a standard Yahoo league they run an $18 base for Catchers and $9 for 1B. There is definitely a positional difference, but not quite that large.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:57 pm

TheRock wrote:I hear there's an article coming out soon about this topic.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2012/tips_playervalues.php

Nice work Jason.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby BalataGrande » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:07 am

Thanks for the input guys. I am working on tweaking my own using a compilation of all the info on this post. You guys rock! Still think the cafe is the best site on the web for us geeks.... :-D
BalataGrande
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:17 pm

EDIT: Sorry if this should have gone in a separate post. Seemed like it was very much in line with the subject under discussion.

I've used LastPlayerPicked in the past... very nice.

I do have a strange twist on things I could use some help with: for the first time, my main league is going to an auction draft, but its a hybrid: First 12 rounds will be snake, last 11 rounds will be auction. We are doing this partly/mostly because there is some resistance to switching, and partly because of the complexities of switching over our keeper system.

So questions I have are:

1. What should I use as a starting auction amount - $100?
2. How do I properly adjust the values of players, when they will all have values of $1 to $3 based on typical $260 auction values for the entire player pool?
3. If I were to do my own calculations, how would I factor in that I don't know who will actually be in the player pool (since I won't know the results of the snake part of the draft in advance)?

Thanks
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby TheRock » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:EDIT: Sorry if this should have gone in a separate post. Seemed like it was very much in line with the subject under discussion.

I've used LastPlayerPicked in the past... very nice.

I do have a strange twist on things I could use some help with: for the first time, my main league is going to an auction draft, but its a hybrid: First 12 rounds will be snake, last 11 rounds will be auction. We are doing this partly/mostly because there is some resistance to switching, and partly because of the complexities of switching over our keeper system.

So questions I have are:

1. What should I use as a starting auction amount - $100?
2. How do I properly adjust the values of players, when they will all have values of $1 to $3 based on typical $260 auction values for the entire player pool?
3. If I were to do my own calculations, how would I factor in that I don't know who will actually be in the player pool (since I won't know the results of the snake part of the draft in advance)?

Thanks

Wow, that is a strange twist. You'll definitely have to calculate these yourself, that's just not the scenario represented in anyone else's auction values.

As far as budget - doesn't really matter. $100 is fine. I think after the top 144 players are gone in a typical auction, everyone is well under $100 left.

You'll need some sort of valuing system. I described how to run Z-scores, that works and isn't terribly difficult. There are some formulas floating around that will get you a decent value. If it were me, I'd run values on the whole player pool, then denote which I feel the top 12 rounds worth would be. Add up the values of all the remaining players that you think should fill out the next 11 rounds. Divide the total budget (1200?) by the total of the values to determine what each point of value is worth, then multiply by that. If that makes any sense. You can run a summation when you're done to see if your dollar values add up to the total budget for all teams.

As far as knowing what players will be left and which ones will be drafted in the next 11 rounds, don't worry about it. Figure out who you think should go in each group, and if someone is left after round 12 that you thought would be taken - score! Assume they're worth at least as much as your top valued player.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers