The pansy era? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The pansy era?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The pansy era?

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:32 pm

Is it just me, or are the star players of Major League Baseball getting hurt far to often that past few years? I don't remember seeing this many stars come on and off the DL so many times when I was younger. Players claim to be more stronger, when to me it seems they are more brittle. I believe I'm gonna start calling all seasons 2000-2010 the era of the pansy. What do you guys think?
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bell » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:34 pm

I will say it's unlikely we'll ever see another "Iron Man."
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby canibus » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:35 pm

Let's call it the Marcus Camby era. Perhaps the best shot blocker in the NBA but he misses more games than Kobe has meetings with his lawyer.
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:48 pm

There is a lot babying in the league today, but for good reason. If your paying your star $100 million, do you want him to go out and pitch with a hurt leg, or arm? For most of these stars, if they get badly hurt, the clubs still have to pay them, so the clubs make sure the players are healthy when they're out there. They players aren't the pansy's, the owners and managers are the one's shutting them down.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dicehound » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:54 pm

it could be too that as fantasy baseball addicts, we're just paying attention more than we used to
dicehound
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbird669 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:00 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:There is a lot babying in the league today, but for good reason. If your paying your star $100 million, do you want him to go out and pitch with a hurt leg, or arm? For most of these stars, if they get badly hurt, the clubs still have to pay them, so the clubs make sure the players are healthy when they're out there. They players aren't the pansy's, the owners and managers are the one's shutting them down.

I agree. Baseball Players are an investment, and owners will do anything to protect that. When a guy brings in a ton of revenue, and fills the owners deep pockets, having him miss two games is no big deal if he'll get a ton later.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby canibus » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:03 pm

Oh yeah good points. There is alot more money involved these days. For instance, Nomar is getting treated the same way I would treat a handful of primo canibus on a windy day--with kid gloves.
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jonnyblack » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:45 pm

sweet avatar canibus
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby canibus » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:29 pm

Thanks, buddy. I grew up in Hartford and was oh so sad/pissed when the Whale moved down south. Now we have no professional sports teams!

I mean, it's not like they were a great team but they were OUR team and I sure loved watching them beat up on the Bruins. Plus, the the Whale did have their moments:

Can anyone say Gordie Howe--Mr. Hockey-- who at the age of 51 played a full 80 game season for the Hartford Whalers?

Ron Francis, Kevin Dineen(sp?), Mike Liut, Ulf Samuelson, etc... these guys weren't half bad.

Speaking of the "pansy era", I challenge any MLB or NBA player to lace-up at age 51 for even part of a season, let alone a full one!

I won't extend the same challenge to NFL players. Getting on the field at that age could cut ones life extremely short :-D
canibus Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: The pansy era?

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:34 pm

Baseballer02 wrote:Is it just me, or are the star players of Major League Baseball getting hurt far to often that past few years? I don't remember seeing this many stars come on and off the DL so many times when I was younger. Players claim to be more stronger, when to me it seems they are more brittle. I believe I'm gonna start calling all seasons 2000-2010 the era of the pansy. What do you guys think?

Yeah they are bigger and stronger. And their bigger and stronger muscles put more pressure on their ligaments. Also, the players make a shit load of money playing this game as well. So if they hurt themselves worse when trying to play through an injury then they may cost themselves a shitload of money down the road. I think that plays in the players minds alot more now then it used to.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers