6 player league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

6 player league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

6 player league?

Postby Doyyer714 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Has anyone played in a 6 player league? Just curious because this yr we are about to do it and would like some input if any you guys have played in one.

Its a h2h points 6 player keeper but I wanted to know what other things I can do so I can make it competitive any help would be great.
Doyyer714
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 6 player league?

Postby JonC0226 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:13 pm

It wont be competitive. I have played in an 8 team league and there are just not enough teams. You should try for 10 at the least.

If you think you might expand the league next year, the new teams will be at a disadvantage if the veteran teams have keepers.

The only way I can think of making it more competitive is making the rosters extremely large to reduce the free agent pool during the season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigmck » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:25 pm

If you only have 6 teams in your Fantasy League only use either the AL or NL, not both. Even if you do that, it will still be All-Star rosters, but at least that way, it is better.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby converge241 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:42 am

id recomend making the teams really big as in lots of starting positions
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Yeah, the only way to make it competitive would be to go AL/NL only, and a BUNCH of starting spots. 2 C, MI/CI, 5 OF, that kind of thing. Even then, it's not ideal. In my mind, anything less than 10 teams is not going to work.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 55)

Postby JonC0226 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:18 pm

I am curious why you want to limit it to six teams? Is it because you can't find four other people willing to join the league?

If so, I would recommend that everyone who has agreed to join tries to find another person to play. It can be difficult when creating a league from scratch, but it is worth the effort in the long run. All you really need is four more players. I am assuming, if this is the case, that for some of these people it might be their first experience with fantasy baseball. That is a good selling point when trying to get some extra managers. Let them know that it will be treated as a learning year for everyone. Definitely try and recruit people you know.

For instance, when we created our league not everyone knew each other, but everyone that was invited knew at least one other manager personally. And even though we all live spread out for the most part, we have all become goods friends.

Reach out to co-workers, Facebook friends (if you are on Facebook), long distance friends, etc. I am just worried if you don't get at least 10 managers everyone is going to be very underwhelmed by the experience because it is so easy.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Doyyer714 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:27 pm

JonC0226 wrote:I am curious why you want to limit it to six teams? Is it because you can't find four other people willing to join the league?

If so, I would recommend that everyone who has agreed to join tries to find another person to play. It can be difficult when creating a league from scratch, but it is worth the effort in the long run. All you really need is four more players. I am assuming, if this is the case, that for some of these people it might be their first experience with fantasy baseball. That is a good selling point when trying to get some extra managers. Let them know that it will be treated as a learning year for everyone. Definitely try and recruit people you know.

For instance, when we created our league not everyone knew each other, but everyone that was invited knew at least one other manager personally. And even though we all live spread out for the most part, we have all become goods friends.

Reach out to co-workers, Facebook friends (if you are on Facebook), long distance friends, etc. I am just worried if you don't get at least 10 managers everyone is going to be very underwhelmed by the experience because it is so easy.

Well we had 8 teams the previous year. are set you h2h points league daily moves and not everyone was down with that plus it was a keeper league. This yr one of the guys didn't want to play in the keeper league cuz he traded all his players that where good and he wanted to start all over again. The other player didn't pay the $25 and its among us friends and the 5 other guys don't want to start all over again because they have a stacked team so the only thing to do was make it a 6 team league there is a lot of bragging rights involved.

I have tried to recruit other friends but they say the season is to long and that it gets boring to the, so for not I am stuck with this guys. Plus none of my other friends wanted to keep the 2 teams that didn't have owners because they said the team was jacked up.

I might just stay with that league because the 5 guys that are playing don't to give up there players. But I will start a new one on the side with 10 players just in case it gets boring for the rest of the guys lol.
Doyyer714
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby JonC0226 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:33 pm

Doyyer714 wrote:
Well we had 8 teams the previous year. are set you h2h points league daily moves and not everyone was down with that plus it was a keeper league. This yr one of the guys didn't want to play in the keeper league cuz he traded all his players that where good and he wanted to start all over again. The other player didn't pay the $25 and its among us friends and the 5 other guys don't want to start all over again because they have a stacked team so the only thing to do was make it a 6 team league there is a lot of bragging rights involved.

I have tried to recruit other friends but they say the season is to long and that it gets boring to the, so for not I am stuck with this guys. Plus none of my other friends wanted to keep the 2 teams that didn't have owners because they said the team was jacked up.

I might just stay with that league because the 5 guys that are playing don't to give up there players. But I will start a new one on the side with 10 players just in case it gets boring for the rest of the guys lol.

Sounds like a messy situation. I'm not sure if I would stay in a league that is so divided, especially if it is only 6 teams.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you can make any adjustments that would begin to make a 6 team league more competitive. I honestly have to say that you should scrap this league. I don't know how on Earth you could possibly make it worth the time you will be spending.
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Doyyer714 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:40 pm

JonC0226 wrote:
Doyyer714 wrote:

Sounds like a messy situation. I'm not sure if I would stay in a league that is so divided, especially if it is only 6 teams.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you can make any adjustments that would begin to make a 6 team league more competitive. I honestly have to say that you should scrap this league. I don't know how on Earth you could possibly make it worth the time you will be spending.

Yea I know well most of the guys are my co workers, right now I am on vacation so when I get back on Monday I will have to talk to the because I don't think it can be that good and some guys might get bored. See what they say about it but thanks everyone for your insight.

I began to change my mind after I would read some post of leagues having 16 or 20 teams I was like dayum lol. But I will see what I can do thanks fellas.
Doyyer714
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:32 pm

I've been in a 7 team roto league. That was about the least-fun league I've been in. There's just no reason to pay attention. Oh, my all star 3rd baseman is underperforming, better pick up a different all-star 3B off the wire.

I've also been in a 16-team league with 30 man rosters and 30 man minors rosters. It's no comparison. It's incredibly fun. You get out what you put in.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 55)

Return to Commissioner's Corner