2013 Discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to The Brushback League

2013 Discussion

Moderators: Fade2White12, j24jags

Re: 2012 Discussion

Postby Third Day » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Ender wrote:I would like a system where your 1st round pick doesn't automatically roll off until you get two 1st round picks and then you have to choose to let one of them go. So if I had say a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th rounder that I kept this year then next year it would go to two 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and I'd have to drop one of the 1st rounders. Year after that I'd again have to drop one as the 2nd rounder moved into the 1st.

I think this cuts out a little bit of the sell your best player at the end of the year for a prospect deals which I never liked in a keeper league and it lets you keep your favorite player forever if he is good. Both of those are positives. Good players will still come off the books constantly with that system.

I say this as a pretty unbiased source since I wouldn't keep my 1st or 2nd round picks under this system so not like I'm trying to horde anyone~.

Not bad.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 273)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigLebowski » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Third Day wrote:
Ender wrote:I would like a system where your 1st round pick doesn't automatically roll off until you get two 1st round picks and then you have to choose to let one of them go. So if I had say a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th rounder that I kept this year then next year it would go to two 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and I'd have to drop one of the 1st rounders. Year after that I'd again have to drop one as the 2nd rounder moved into the 1st.

I think this cuts out a little bit of the sell your best player at the end of the year for a prospect deals which I never liked in a keeper league and it lets you keep your favorite player forever if he is good. Both of those are positives. Good players will still come off the books constantly with that system.

I say this as a pretty unbiased source since I wouldn't keep my 1st or 2nd round picks under this system so not like I'm trying to horde anyone~.

Not bad.

This sounds like the best option so far....oh and I'm checking in...it was debatable whether I would have time this season to do this league. But now I do. So I am back if my spot is still available.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby ayebatter » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
Keeping Round 1 players for a Round 1 penalty is no advantage, IMO. It's keeping a Round 1 player for a Round 20+ penalty that is THE advantage.

Correct, look at it this way:
as the system stands
year 1
-team A keeps what is now a true round 1 player in round 1 and drafts a round 20 player in round 20
-team B keeps what is now a true round 1 player in round 20 and drafts a round 1 player in round 1
year 2
-team A keeps what is now a true round 1 player in round 1 and drafts a round 20 player in round 20
-team B keeps what is now a true round 1 player in round 19 and drafts a round 1 player in round 1
year 3
-team B keeps what is now a true round 1 player in round 18 and drafts a round 1 player in round 1

I say we drop to 2 keepers this year and escalate the keeper rounds by 5 across the board and keep as many round 1 (1-2-3-4-5)as you like in the future. So next year your 5th rounder this year escalates to a 1st, and your 20th rounder this year escalates to a 15th then 10th then 5th then 1st, that way you can keep your steals for at least 4 years.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1440)

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 am

There is definitely statistical backing to the notion that multiple 1st rounders isn't a big deal. From 2004 to 2011 2/3rds of the players who finished top 15 one year did not finish top 15 the previous year. Only 14% of the players who appeared in the top 15 for the 1st time repeated in the top 15. Only 10 of the top 15 players in roto points last year were hitters so pitching is coming on strong. Most likely the team who keeps 3 guys in the 1st round will only have 1 that gives back 1st round value.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:50 am

Ender wrote:There is definitely statistical backing to the notion that multiple 1st rounders isn't a big deal. From 2004 to 2011 2/3rds of the players who finished top 15 one year did not finish top 15 the previous year. Only 14% of the players who appeared in the top 15 for the 1st time repeated in the top 15. Only 10 of the top 15 players in roto points last year were hitters so pitching is coming on strong. Most likely the team who keeps 3 guys in the 1st round will only have 1 that gives back 1st round value.

Precisely. That's why I don't really see it as a problem that needs addressing. But once we have a better idea of who is/not coming back, I'll make a poll with our best 2-3 suggestions, and we'll let league vote decide what we do.

ayebatter wrote:I say we drop to 2 keepers this year and escalate the keeper rounds by 5 across the board and keep as many round 1 (1-2-3-4-5)as you like in the future. So next year your 5th rounder this year escalates to a 1st, and your 20th rounder this year escalates to a 15th then 10th then 5th then 1st, that way you can keep your steals for at least 4 years.

IMO, I'd rather not change our current system as drastically as that. I think even what we have now is a good base, but it needs some tweaking. In that situation, I'd prefer to just redraft with an all-new set of rules. !+)

A few days ago I sent a PM to all the guys I haven't heard from yet, and so far have only heard from one. At this point we only have committments from 9 of 14. If we don't hear from more, It'd be pretty tough to find replacements for 40% of the league.

Me
j24jags
Ender
Third Day
ensanimal
ayebatter
RedBullVodka
BigLebowski
Zepfan
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby j24jags » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:44 pm

I think most people are in agreement regarding escalation for late round picks & the disagreement seems to come from the decisions regarding 1st round picks. It would add a lot more excitement/interest to the early rounds of the draft if we were to limit the #1 picks kept. That being said, like Ender mentioned, it is not a lock that you will place in the top part of the league just because you keep multiple first rounders. If you keep three first rounders, by the time you draft (assume middle of the 4th round)...there are already 14*5=70 players kept plus an additional 3*8 =24 players drafted. Your first draft pick will be somewhere around the 90-100 overall rankings range. That is a big cost of keeping multiple first rounders. I think that offsets the benefit of keeping multiple first rounders. I agree that the biggest competitive advantage is from the late rounders who produce at elite levels. Those are the guys who should escalate IMO.

Now moving onto the owner/check-in rate. I will try to shoot an e-mail to some of the owners we haven't heard from yet. Also, I think it's time we get a thread set up to start listing off keepers just to get the ball rolling. Obviously these won't be finalized until we determine the new keeper/escalation system, but getting things started will at least get people to check in more regularly so we can maintain discussions and be ready to start the draft when the time comes.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Third Day » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:53 pm

While I have preferences about keepers in the first five rounds I can go with whatever is decided.

I would not be opposed to a 12 team league.
Last edited by Third Day on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 273)

Postby j24jags » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Third Day wrote:I would not be opposed to a 12 team league.

Agreed. I think the rosters are deep enough that it still won't be a shallow league.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j24jags » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Spoke to Matt_Domsic...he said he's up for another year, but will be signing up under a new cafe ID ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Alpha Squints » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:54 pm

j24jags wrote:Spoke to Matt_Domsic...he said he's up for another year, but will be signing up under a new cafe ID ;-D

Word ;-D
Alpha Squints
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to The Brushback League