2013 Discussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to The Brushback League

2013 Discussion

Moderators: Fade2White12, j24jags

Re: 2012 Discussion

Postby Third Day » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm currently drafting in a Fantrax league where the keepers escalate three rounds each year. It means that, in effect, you cannot keep any players drafted or kept in the first three rounds the following season season. It's only my second year in the league but everyone seems to like the concept.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Third Day wrote:I'm currently drafting in a Fantrax league where the keepers escalate three rounds each year. It means that, in effect, you cannot keep any players drafted or kept in the first three rounds the following season season. It's only my second year in the league but everyone seems to like the concept.

;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:42 pm

This is the way that I want to fix the keeper situation, and it's based on a lot of the feedback from our debates last season:

Escalating and Sliding Keeper Penalties:
1st - 5th - Pick escalates 1 round per year.
6th - 11th - Pick escalates 2 rounds per year.
12th - 20th - Pick escalates 3 rounds per year.
21st - 26th - Pick escalates 4 rounds per year.
*Courtesy jusman1

The only other question is what should happen when you have multiple players at Round 1 value:
I say that you should be able to keep as many as you want. The fact that most people wanted higher penalties for late round picks, we are conceding that they pose the greatest problem for our current setup. Players whose penalties are at or even above their current value are much less advantageous than those whose penalties are less than their current value.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Third Day » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:This is the way that I want to fix the keeper situation, and it's based on a lot of the feedback from our debates last season:

Escalating and Sliding Keeper Penalties:
1st - 5th - Pick escalates 1 round per year.
6th - 11th - Pick escalates 2 rounds per year.
12th - 20th - Pick escalates 3 rounds per year.
21st - 26th - Pick escalates 4 rounds per year.
*Courtesy jusman1

The only other question is what should happen when you have multiple players at Round 1 value:
I say that you should be able to keep as many as you want. The fact that most people wanted higher penalties for late round picks, we are conceding that they pose the greatest problem for our current setup. Players whose penalties are at or even above their current value are much less advantageous than those whose penalties are less than their current value.

Under this scenario, a first rounder could not be kept the following year, correct?
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ayebatter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Third Day wrote:
Under this scenario, a first rounder could not be kept the following year, correct?

Fade2White12 wrote:

I say that you should be able to keep as many as you want. Players whose penalties are at or even above their current value are much less advantageous than those whose penalties are less than their current value.

This is what he says about 1st rounders.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1364)

Postby Third Day » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:10 pm

ayebatter wrote:
Third Day wrote:

Fade2White12 wrote:

I say that you should be able to keep as many as you want. Players whose penalties are at or even above their current value are much less advantageous than those whose penalties are less than their current value.

This is what he says about 1st rounders.

I think I may have posed my question poorly. If, as players escalate, they move up and once they get to round one stay there forever I would be opposed. An owner, over time, could have multiple first round picks. If a player, once he reaches round one, escalates the following year back into the draft, then I would be in favor. One of the purposes of of escalation is to get a few of the better players back into the draft each year so the poorer teams can get better.
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ensanimal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Third Day wrote:
I think I may have posed my question poorly. If, as players escalate, they move up and once they get to round one stay there forever I would be opposed. An owner, over time, could have multiple first round picks. If a player, once he reaches round one, escalates the following year back into the draft, then I would be in favor. One of the purposes of of escalation is to get a few of the better players back into the draft each year so the poorer teams can get better.

I agree.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:42 pm

I honestly feel the opposite. :-b

I think that players should be able to be kept indefinitely, that is if someone so chooses. We only each have 5 keepers so only the top 70 players are kept, meaning there are still tons of great players available for teams to rebuild. Not to mention our large rosters lessens the significance of keepers, ensuring that any advantages can be overcome through the draft or in-season. Plus, the past has also shown that there is going to be natural player attrition each season as they drop out of Round 1.

Keeping Round 1 players for a Round 1 penalty is no advantage, IMO. It's keeping a Round 1 player for a Round 20+ penalty that is THE advantage. Just look at those players kept after Round 20 - Chapman, Strasburg, Rizzo, McCutchen, Stanton, Santana, Harper, Hosmer, and Lawrie. 8-o
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Third Day » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:52 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:I honestly feel the opposite. :-b

I think that players should be able to be kept indefinitely, that is if someone so chooses. We only each have 5 keepers so only the top 70 players are kept, meaning there are still tons of great players available for teams to rebuild. Not to mention our large rosters lessens the significance of keepers, ensuring that any advantages can be overcome through the draft or in-season. Plus, the past has also shown that there is going to be natural player attrition each season as they drop out of Round 1.

Keeping Round 1 players for a Round 1 penalty is no advantage, IMO. It's keeping a Round 1 player for a Round 20+ penalty that is THE advantage. Just look at those players kept after Round 20 - Chapman, Strasburg, Rizzo, McCutchen, Stanton, Santana, Harper, Hosmer, and Lawrie. 8-o

I understand your point although I disagree with it. ;-D
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:53 pm

I would like a system where your 1st round pick doesn't automatically roll off until you get two 1st round picks and then you have to choose to let one of them go. So if I had say a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th rounder that I kept this year then next year it would go to two 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and I'd have to drop one of the 1st rounders. Year after that I'd again have to drop one as the 2nd rounder moved into the 1st.

I think this cuts out a little bit of the sell your best player at the end of the year for a prospect deals which I never liked in a keeper league and it lets you keep your favorite player forever if he is good. Both of those are positives. Good players will still come off the books constantly with that system.

I say this as a pretty unbiased source since I wouldn't keep my 1st or 2nd round picks under this system so not like I'm trying to horde anyone~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to The Brushback League