H2H 5x5 - Need help with settings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

H2H 5x5 - Need help with settings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H 5x5 - Need help with settings

Postby YankeeCommish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 pm

Hello all, our long time roto keeper league is transitioning to a 5x5 H2H league, NOT a points league I should add. I was looking for suggestions with regard to innings/starts limit per week. In a roto league this is more clear cut I guess since you just set an innings limit for the year. In a H2H league do you limit weekly innings, or # of starts per team (with regards to pitching starts)? I honestly have no clue. Also is there a minimum and/or maximum starts per week for pitchers and/or hitters? This is going to be a daily line up changing format. And how many transactions do you guy typically allow per week/season? Do you put a limit on these? Any advice would be awesome.
YankeeCommish
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H 5x5 - Need help with settings

Postby bigmck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:43 am

YankeeCommish wrote:Hello all, our long time roto keeper league is transitioning to a 5x5 H2H league, NOT a points league I should add. I was looking for suggestions with regard to innings/starts limit per week. In a roto league this is more clear cut I guess since you just set an innings limit for the year. In a H2H league do you limit weekly innings, or # of starts per team (with regards to pitching starts)? I honestly have no clue. Also is there a minimum and/or maximum starts per week for pitchers and/or hitters? This is going to be a daily line up changing format. And how many transactions do you guy typically allow per week/season? Do you put a limit on these? Any advice would be awesome.

Since you are on a week to week basis, make your limits weekly. I like ten pitcher starts a week and you also need a maximum add/drop per week. You don't want guys just going crazy with add/drops. I like five add/drops per week. I wouldn't worry about anything else. Those are the two main things to be aware of.

Good luck,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby mkultra » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:58 pm

In lieu of limiting the number of add/drops, you can restrict your waivers to run only on certain days (or use FAAB). It's common to have once- or twice-weekly pickups.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby JonC0226 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:11 am

I would recommend using 3 or 4 transactions per week (I always use 4) during the regular season. Reduce it down to 2 for the playoffs. No innings limit is needed if you do this. Managers can still stream if they really want to but it is risky (never know when you might need to use your add/drops for whatever reason). Also, being in an H2H format you face an inherently bigger risk streaming. In roto you can make a bad gamble on some two start pitchers and it doesn't hurt as much in the long run. In H2H a bad pick when trying to stream can mean a loss for that week if the pitchers don't come through, and when it comes down to making the playoffs there are usually teams separated by a single win.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hot4tx » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:28 pm

I disagree, I think in HTH you potentially have less risk streaming. A team can quickly decide if they want to stream that week or not depending on who you're facing (if they have a great staff), how the matchups stack-up (their top3-4 pitchers all pitch twice against the Astros and at Petco that wee), or how the starts go in the first 2-3 days. If they get behind, are facing a top staff, or have bad matchups they can stream freely knowing that they probably lose those pitching stats for the week if they don't and that if ERAs blow up it just resets the very next week. There's no long-term ratio penalty for having a crappy stream guy give up 6 ER in 0.2 IP.

So I think if you want to avoid streaming you have to make more of an effort. Like the others I think limiting moves/starts/max innings on a weekly basis is the way to go. Maybe 3-4 moves a week max or 10 starts a week max or 60 IP max per week. One other way to curtail streaming is to go to a 6x6 league (using OPS, fielding%, CS for the offense) and use a negative pitching stat like L or HR allowed. This adds an extra stat category that you'll likely lose if you stream.

I'd also advise that you put in a minimum number of IP or starts. Otherwise you'll have a guy draft offense for the first 9 rounds, punt W and K and try to take ERA/WHIP/SVs with a staff full of relievers.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby bigmck » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:43 pm

hot4tx wrote:I'd also advise that you put in a minimum number of IP or starts. Otherwise you'll have a guy draft offense for the first 9 rounds, punt W and K and try to take ERA/WHIP/SVs with a staff full of relievers.

If we are talking about a 5X5 league and I am playing your guy I would welcome it. I am guarantee to win 2. If his relievers get hit a little, I will win all the pitching. I then only have to win one hitting category to win the match. Punting two categories is not solid. Just my opinion. Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby hot4tx » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Lots of ifs there. In general good relievers are going to out ratio good starters, so more often than not they will go to the relievers. Even one or two blown saves in a week and you're still likely to have a 2-ish ERA with a very low WHIP. The reliever team should also have an advantage in most if not all hitting categories since they can completely ignore starting pitching. It's still an uphill battle and not one I'm on here advocating, but if you put in minimum innings (say 21) per week you don't have to deal with teams playing such irregular strategies and changing the complexion of the draft and league. It's basically a lot like streaming pitchers in that way and if you want to avoid that you can put in min innings pitched.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby JonC0226 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:57 pm

bigmck wrote:
hot4tx wrote:I'd also advise that you put in a minimum number of IP or starts. Otherwise you'll have a guy draft offense for the first 9 rounds, punt W and K and try to take ERA/WHIP/SVs with a staff full of relievers.

If we are talking about a 5X5 league and I am playing your guy I would welcome it. I am guarantee to win 2. If his relievers get hit a little, I will win all the pitching. I then only have to win one hitting category to win the match. Punting two categories is not solid. Just my opinion. Thanks,

That sounds like a really awful strategy. Also, if a manager in my league did that he/she would not be invited back the next season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby
JonC0226
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner