In Search of the Elusive 'Pitching Prospect' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

In Search of the Elusive 'Pitching Prospect'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: In Search of the Elusive 'Pitching Prospect'

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:43 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:why would they use Edwin Jackson as an example of a failed pitching prospect? He's no ace but Jackson has developed into a very serviceable #3 started who has helped his teams reach the world series twice. I wouldn't call that a bust. There has to be better examples out there, Homer Bailey? Andrew Miller?

He's not the only one mentioned.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:09 pm

reiser wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:There has to be better examples out there, Homer Bailey? Andrew Miller?

Luke Hochevar!

I thought his last name was Hunderachevar
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:11 pm

well played

you also don't have to go back to far too remember guys like Ryan Anderson, Dennis Tankersley and Jesse Foppert.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:55 am

bigken117 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:I BELIEVE YOU MEAN JAMES PAXTON.

that is not what I thought was going to happen

In our league or my response here? :-b :-b :-b
PAX-TON :-L
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Garry26 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:34 am

The next one is Darvish.

Bottom line is that Japan is pretty on par with the US on baseball. So their Ace pitchers can come here dominate. Even 2nd tier can be successful because it takes time for the league to adjust.

Since most casual fans will not hear of them, the hardcore fantasy fans that know of them, has an edge picking them up. If you have first pick in a keeper league, you got yourself a stud that no one else can get. Or you can risk skipping a few rounds in a regular draft and then BAM! Extra stud over everyone else.

That's why I always keep an eye out for new Japanese starting pitchers. Just make sure they're studs and not average.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 67)

Postby rib217 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:26 am

Garry26 wrote:The next one is Darvish.

Bottom line is that Japan is pretty on par with the US on baseball. So their Ace pitchers can come here dominate. Even 2nd tier can be successful because it takes time for the league to adjust.

Since most casual fans will not hear of them, the hardcore fantasy fans that know of them, has an edge picking them up. If you have first pick in a keeper league, you got yourself a stud that no one else can get. Or you can risk skipping a few rounds in a regular draft and then BAM! Extra stud over everyone else.

That's why I always keep an eye out for new Japanese starting pitchers. Just make sure they're studs and not average.

I plan on staying away from Darvish; perhaps I am wrong but it certainly seems like every big name (Ace pitchers) coming out of Japan has not come close to living up to the hype.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:44 am

Garry26 wrote:The next one is Darvish.

wat
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:48 am

You can usually pick out the sure thing pitching prospects if you are just careful. Edwin Jackson is an example of someone that was in no way a sure thing, he had an ERA over 4 in the minors and a WHIP over 1.35. Same with Andrew Miller who was erratic in the minors, Hochevar was good but not dominant.. Compare most of these 'busted' prospects to someone like Gallardo or Lincecum in the minors and you see the big difference. Truth is any pitcher who throws hard gets the label prospect, for fantasy purposes this is not the type of player you want. You want a polished prospect who has displayed elite skills in the minors if you are going to be drafting a rookie pitcher.

A lot of times these guys are just being pushed through the minors at a young age and they end up being good in the majors but from a fantasy baseball perspective you don't want to take a risk on these types. Stick with the guys who absolutely dominated in the minors and barring a major injury they almost always pan out to be at least decent in the majors.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:59 am

Ender wrote:You can usually pick out the sure thing pitching prospects if you are just careful. Edwin Jackson is an example of someone that was in no way a sure thing, he had an ERA over 4 in the minors and a WHIP over 1.35. Same with Andrew Miller who was erratic in the minors, Hochevar was good but not dominant.. Compare most of these 'busted' prospects to someone like Gallardo or Lincecum in the minors and you see the big difference. Truth is any pitcher who throws hard gets the label prospect, for fantasy purposes this is not the type of player you want. You want a polished prospect who has displayed elite skills in the minors if you are going to be drafting a rookie pitcher.

A lot of times these guys are just being pushed through the minors at a young age and they end up being good in the majors but from a fantasy baseball perspective you don't want to take a risk on these types. Stick with the guys who absolutely dominated in the minors and barring a major injury they almost always pan out to be at least decent in the majors.

This about sums up my feelings, as well. I also feel as if scouting has gotten a bit better in the past few years, making it a bit more successful in finding potential talent.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby J35J » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Ender wrote:You can usually pick out the sure thing pitching prospects if you are just careful. Edwin Jackson is an example of someone that was in no way a sure thing, he had an ERA over 4 in the minors and a WHIP over 1.35. Same with Andrew Miller who was erratic in the minors, Hochevar was good but not dominant.. Compare most of these 'busted' prospects to someone like Gallardo or Lincecum in the minors and you see the big difference. Truth is any pitcher who throws hard gets the label prospect, for fantasy purposes this is not the type of player you want. You want a polished prospect who has displayed elite skills in the minors if you are going to be drafting a rookie pitcher.

This.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers