Zack grienke value? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Zack grienke value?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Zack grienke value?

Postby galante22 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:00 am

14 team h2h standard 5x5 scoring league. you can keep 5 keepers(and a futures) each for a max of 3 years.

My keepers are

C)Carlos Santana
2b)Dustin Ackley(Future)
3B)Jose Bautista
SS)Troy Tulowitski
OF)Carlos Gonzalez
p)Zack Grienke

obviously my hitting is completly stacked but going into the draft with only one pitcher makes me wonder how valuable is zack grienke?...

1)where would u draft him?
2)where would you rank him amoungst SPs?
3)how important is it that my first pick is a pitcher? im planning on getting jon lester but if a early run starts of pitcher do i grab another big named bat? a david wright, jay bruce, ryan bruan, alex gordon?
galante22
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Zack grienke value?

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:21 am

Greinke is a back end #1 starter this year, think he's in the 8 to 10 range. I'm not sure on the fair draft position but he's definitely a top 70 guy.

For a sample ranking of all 6 -

Braun
Wright
Bruce
Greinke
Lester
Gordon
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bobellis75 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:36 am

I look for Greinke to put up better ERA than last year...the rest of his stats were great in 2011. Hopefully this year he won't start off by breaking his ribs.....Look for similar K rate, low walks, high number of wins (although this could be in question without Fielder and minus Braun for 50 games...he'll need some run support to win) and I'm thinking an ERA more in the 3.2-3.4 range rather than 3.8
bobellis75
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 39)

Postby galante22 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:43 am

i really hope so i need him to have a big year. his anexity thing worries me too. out of my ace i need at least 15 wins, 200 k's and 3.5 era max, low whip wouldnt hurt...i won the championship a year ago when i revolved my team around hitting and ubaldo. kinda hoping to do the same. lester would be huge for me to get in the first but if there isnt a great SP out there im almost forced to grab the big bat for keeper purposes since after this year tulo and grienke both go back into the draft
galante22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Goatrider » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:14 pm

I am targeting him in every league where he is not already kept. Peripherals were great last year and this year looks bright. Pack Grienke with another low-end #1 and it's a nice cheap start to a pitching staff.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 19)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:17 pm

He's my 6th ranked pitcher this year, I'm expecting pretty big things. Don't go into the draft with the mindset that your first pick needs to be a pitcher. Go into the draft with the idea that you're going to take the best player available, at least for the first few rounds. When the top talent starts to run out, then you can start drafting based on need.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:29 pm

galante22 wrote:i really hope so i need him to have a big year. his anexity thing worries me too. out of my ace i need at least 15 wins, 200 k's and 3.5 era max, low whip wouldnt hurt...i won the championship a year ago when i revolved my team around hitting and ubaldo. kinda hoping to do the same. lester would be huge for me to get in the first but if there isnt a great SP out there im almost forced to grab the big bat for keeper purposes since after this year tulo and grienke both go back into the draft

You shouldn't worry about the anxiety thing. This is a common thing for many people and there are a lot of drugs that can help this. Even more important to consider that it hasn't been a problem for him since he got to the majors. He had some difficulties in the minors but since he has been a major league starting pitcher, he has shown no problems. There are a number of athletes that have this problem and we don't even think about it with them, so I wouldn't even think about it with Greinke either.

As for draft strategy, if you can get a Braun, Bruce or Wright then I would but I probably would also want to grab a starter pretty quickly after that. If they aren't available, then look for a starter.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 264)

Postby ensanimal » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:14 pm

I wouldn't lock myself into thinking that I need an SP or any position for that matter early on. Grab the best available (Braun/Wright/Bruce) and look to fill voids later. SP is quite deep this year.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:41 pm

ensanimal wrote:I wouldn't lock myself into thinking that I need an SP or any position for that matter early on. Grab the best available (Braun/Wright/Bruce) and look to fill voids later. SP is quite deep this year.

I agree. Set aside positional needs and keep the best player. With such a small amount of keepers (5 plus a a f liuture) you should hold onto the most valuable guys.

For what its worth, I really like Greinke for 2012. I'm expecting him to win the Cy Young. His peripherals were much better than his performance last year. I think Greinke should finish in the top 10 this year for SP. Top 5 is not unreasonable.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions