2012 Contract Years - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 Contract Years

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2012 Contract Years

Postby JackShephard » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:05 pm

Does anyone have a complete list of those players who will be in their contract year in 2012?
JackShephard
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2012 Contract Years

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:07 pm

@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 pm

JackShephard wrote:Does anyone have a complete list of those players who will be in their contract year in 2012?
This question inevitably comes up every year, and while you didn't specify the reason behind your inquiry, I'll save some other people a bit of breath, just in case.

If you're looking for contract year players to see who may be 'motivated' to have a good year, I'll just remind you that there has never been any positive correlative data between contract year players and a spike in performance. For every Adrian Beltre contract year performance there are guys who have normal and below average years.

If you're just looking because you're curious or some other reason, well, then, use that link GF posted. :-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Re: Re: 2012 Contract Years

Postby wrveres » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:22 pm

bigh0rt wrote:If you're looking for contract year players to see who may be 'motivated' to have a good year, I'll just remind you that there has never been any positive correlative data between contract year players and a spike in performance. For every Adrian Beltre contract year performance there are multiple guys who have normal and below average years.
cheers
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 744)

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:06 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
JackShephard wrote:Does anyone have a complete list of those players who will be in their contract year in 2012?
This question inevitably comes up every year, and while you didn't specify the reason behind your inquiry, I'll save some other people a bit of breath, just in case.

If you're looking for contract year players to see who may be 'motivated' to have a good year, I'll just remind you that there has never been any positive correlative data between contract year players and a spike in performance. For every Adrian Beltre contract year performance there are guys who have normal and below average years.

If you're just looking because you're curious or some other reason, well, then, use that link GF posted. :-)

I've looked at this very briefly by going back and looking at the top 10-15 contract year guys for a couple years and the majority perform pretty much as they ever have. What I think you won't see from those contract year guys is they won't "go through the motions" during the dog days or "mail it in" if the team is out of it by July/August...they'll certainly want to pad the stats if possible(which is good for fantasy). But yeah, there is no magical switch they can just turn on and put out a career year....I will say it's more likely they'll have a good year as a bad year(I think normally if there was a bad year in there it was due to injury) but it's far more likely they are pretty much the same as they've always been.

**Keep in mind those thoughts/findings are nothing scientific nor did I look at near enough data to form any real conclusion but what I did see lines up with what I would normally think anyway...which is...the player generally ends up with normal stats you'd expect but the chance they have a good/better year(and the good/better year is just that, good or slightly better, not an amazing out of nowhere career year) is slightly better than they have a poor year...both of which is still a much lower percentage chance than they just end up doing what they normally would.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Element » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:51 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

I agree. For every Adrian Beltre there is an Andruw Jones. For the most part, the contract season means nothing to me. I may use it as a tiebreaker if I'm torn between a couple of similar players. It's worth keeping the list handy, but don't read into it too much.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 793)

Postby bayside » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:08 pm

The one thing the list is useful for is when you're trying to trade away your contract year players to a not so savvy owner.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:43 pm

I assume there's a better chance of playing through injury or coming back early from a broken forearm if it's a contract year. You think Pujols comes back after 2 weeks if he breaks his arm in 2012?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:06 pm

I'm guessing if you took a really deep look at things you'd find that the correlation between contract years helping a player or not matches their age based growth pretty closely. A lot of guys are at the end of their contracts during the prime of their career and it is just age based growth that you are seeing. A lot of players have bad seasons in contract years and it is because it is their age based decline phase going into their 2nd or 3rd post FA contract.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:26 pm

all contract information can be found here..
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 98)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers