Adding Fielder as a keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Adding Fielder as a keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Adding Fielder as a keeper

Postby baseballfanTigers » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 am

Currently in a 16 team, 4 keeper league. I was an expansion team so my keepers are pretty weak.

They go as:

OF Ellsbury
OF Stanton
2B Espinosa
SP Josh Johnson

I have a trade proposal for Prince Fielder (We are going to 5 keepers next year)

I get:

Fielder
14th
14th
14th
16th

He gets:

1st
3rd
5th
6th
11th

That will leave me with only a few picks in the first 10 rounds but adding someone like Fielder to my keepers would be a good upgrade and I'll be set for next year. Is this a fair trade or am I giving up too much?
baseballfanTigers
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 43)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Adding Fielder as a keeper

Postby Element » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:57 am

Where would you be picking in round 1? I am leaning toward not doing this anyway. You need a lot of help if those are your keeper options. 3 players aren't going to win you anything. Don't start looking ahead to 2013 already.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby baseballfanTigers » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 am

Element wrote:Where would you be picking in round 1? I am leaning toward not doing this anyway. You need a lot of help if those are your keeper options. 3 players aren't going to win you anything. Don't start looking ahead to 2013 already.

It would be the 10th pick in the first round.

I want strong keepers for next year but I agree I need more than just Fielder for me to be competitive this year. I think Fielder is going to be big in Detroit and I want his fantasy value but I don't think the rest of my team can keep up if I trade away these picks.
baseballfanTigers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby onitapgr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:02 am

Hell no!

It sounds like a team with extra keeper-worthy players is trying to take advantage of you. I would do it for 1 early pick, but not 4...
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Element » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:08 am

baseballfanTigers wrote:
Element wrote:Where would you be picking in round 1? I am leaning toward not doing this anyway. You need a lot of help if those are your keeper options. 3 players aren't going to win you anything. Don't start looking ahead to 2013 already.

It would be the 10th pick in the first round.

I want strong keepers for next year but I agree I need more than just Fielder for me to be competitive this year. I think Fielder is going to be big in Detroit and I want his fantasy value but I don't think the rest of my team can keep up if I trade away these picks.

I don't mind giving up the 1st pick for Prince especially considering that 64 players are being kept. I'd counter with something like a 1st & 4th for a Fielder, 11th and 13th. Even if he doesn't accept it, hopefully there counter offer will help you meet in the middle somewhere.

Also, keep in mind that Fielder is moving from a great hitter's park into a good pitcher's park. I'm guessing that you're a Tiger's fan. I like Prince, but I would temper expectations a touch. It's obviously a great time for this owner to attempt to pawn him off on you trying to get an overpay. Don't get played because you're excited about your new toy. :-)
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:16 am

No way!
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 3659)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:27 am

You'd be giving up way way way too much here. You'll get much more team value with the picks you're giving up than you will with Fielder and those upside round picks. No thanks.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 820)

Postby baseballfanTigers » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:41 am

Alright looks like its a consensus that I'm giving up too much.

Should I go the route Element suggested:

Fielder
pick

for

1st
3rd

Is that more realistic?
baseballfanTigers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:22 am

baseballfanTigers wrote:Alright looks like its a consensus that I'm giving up too much.

Should I go the route Element suggested:

Fielder
pick

for

1st
3rd

Is that more realistic?

I like what he suggested. I do think the first deal is a lot to give up but I can also see why you would want to do it. I know it is early to already be throwing in the towel for 2012 and looking towards 2013 but sometime you have to do this kind of deal to get your team turned around quickly. The other option is to not do this trade and then draft whatever comes your way and hope you get some young players that you can keep.

Personally, I have been in this kind of league and had to work trades that weren't fair at the time but made my team better for the future.

I wouldn't take his first offer. I am not sure how you guys are doing this deal but if you can do it through email where you can actually write what you are thinking about the trade, it might help to get something done. I have found that I am can usually get a deal done through email more often then just sending trade offers back and forth.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby Devil Doc » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:32 am

I don't think I would take this trade, I think my biggest concern for Fielder is can he put up similar numbers in a not so hitter friendly stadium in Detroit? But if you really wanted it, I think a 1st and 3rd for Fielder and a pick is a reasonable offer.

Please help? http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=438534
Devil Doc Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions